Beta 13: MoDaCo.SWITCH HTC One support topic

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest sferg410

1. that's what i hear. i disn't really test because i don't really care much about ota. even if they are gone, if you have a RUU, you can get those back and get OTA if you need firmware updates etc.

2. as it is now should be s-on, you can s-off if you want(assuming you are still on 4.1.2 stock). else it will stay s-on. if you don't want to root, that is fine.

3. if youu don't want sense and just want google play rom, you can install just that. you don't even need switch. if you are s-off, you can even convert to google device(ota works or not on that is still unknown). head over to xda for more details on that.

1. What is RUU?

2. My phone is stock no alterations, so Android 4.2.2 and Sense 5. If default is S-on, then my phone is S-on, so I assume it will stay S-on and that is fine for this process.

3. Didn't really understand this answer.. I do not want to root my phone at any point and it is s-on. Wouldn't installing a Google play 4.2.2 ROM require rooting? What you say about converting it to a Google device I guess will not work if mine is s-on? Any links to the xda pages about this subject?

... Can I go s-off without rooting the phone and then convert to a google device without rooting?

Thanks

Guest descenpet

1. What is RUU?

2. My phone is stock no alterations, so Android 4.2.2 and Sense 5. If default is S-on, then my phone is S-on, so I assume it will stay S-on and that is fine for this process.

3. Didn't really understand this answer.. I do not want to root my phone at any point and it is s-on. Wouldn't installing a Google play 4.2.2 ROM require rooting? What you say about converting it to a Google device I guess will not work if mine is s-on? Any links to the xda pages about this subject?

... Can I go s-off without rooting the phone and then convert to a google device without rooting?

Thanks

RUU is rom update utility. htc's stock rom image bundled in an exe installer.

if you are on stock semse 4.2.2, you can't get s-off now. you will have to stay s-on, devs have not found a way around to s-off it. things will still work fine, be it this switch rom or just a single gpe rom if you want that. since you won't be able to s-off, you won't be able to full convert. you can still install a gpe rom but there won't be OTAs. you will have to download and install newer versions manually.

Guest sferg410

So best deal sounds to be use this Switch process?

I have been lead to believe the stock Android switch will/should update to 4.3 when it is available?

Guest descenpet

So best deal sounds to be use this Switch process?

I have been lead to believe the stock Android switch will/should update to 4.3 when it is available?

this or just a gpe rom if you don't want sense at all. switch is good in case you want to try sense.

either option should get you 4.3 when it is available.

Edited by descenpet

Guest sferg410

yes but the gpe rom requires that i root my phone which i said i do not want to do as my Barclays banking apps will not work on a rooted phone.

Guest linedpaper

In theory you can flash these mods and they will work fine but you will have to be booted in the correct rom before flashing - or better yet, modify the updater script of the mod to flash to the correct locations

e.g if files go to /system/:

/system/SWITCH/sense/

or

/system/SWITCH/gpe

instead of just /system/

as for APM you would be better off using Xposed and Modaco Toolkit for that - Xposed mods are not rom specific, they rarely need updating for new rom versions and just 'work' without modifying any files.

Thanks for the info. I'll try modifying those this weekend. In theory should APM work the same way? I'm using the Modaco toolkit now, but I like the look of APM a bit better.

Guest Lennyuk

Just to remind you all Paul will be updating switch to include 4.3 when he is back from his holiday, so don't expect it for another week or so.

Guest melando
yes but the gpe rom requires that i root my phone which i said i do not want to do as my Barclays banking apps will not work on a rooted phone.

You should be able to run it without the root package, Barclays banking should then be fine

Guest sferg410

well previously i have asked if the stock android side of the setup will auto update OTA and the replies said yes it probably will when the 4.3 OTA update is available for the real Google Play Editions.

Guest erckul

Any chance of switching between any 2 roms in the future?

like venom and miui

yes. once this is out of beta, it will be release so other devs can use their roms (if I've read previous posts correctly)

Guest descenpet

well previously i have asked if the stock android side of the setup will auto update OTA and the replies said yes it probably will when the 4.3 OTA update is available for the real Google Play Editions.

previously you just asked will it be updated, the answer was yes because you didn't ask will it be automatic.

remember this is still beta, you can't expect one side to auto ota.

by the time beta ends, it will be already 4.3. how future updates will be handled is up to paul.

Guest sferg410

OK thanks.

So will the 4.3 update just be a quick update or a full re-install of this software meaning I will have to re-install apps, music etc all over again?

Basically, if the 4.3 will be just a week or two, should I install this software now as 4.2.2 doing a clean install and then re-installing my music and apps etc. or should I wait until 4.3 version is available?

Guest awesomehacker

Hey Paul! Love Switch. Also getting the widget problem too. Whenever I switch from GPE to Sense, it removes all of my widgets. Not sure if it does the same from Sense to GPE, as I have yet to add widgets on GPE.

Also, I'm assuming you just compiled Beta 2 into Beta 3. I never had a chance to flash beta 2, and skipped straight to beta 3. I'm guessing you just kept all of the changes in beta 2 and added them to the beta 3 update?

Hey uh does everything work fine with your T-Mobile HTC One? I'm thinking on installing but also does it delete the data?

Guest Lennyuk
I assume I shouldn't hit the "System update downloaded. Touch to install." dialog in the notification tray?

On the gpe rom? It gave you notification of the update?

Anyway no, it will break switch (not that it would flash anyway, I expect it would error)

Guest jonathandownin

On the gpe rom? It gave you notification of the update?

Anyway no, it will break switch (not that it would flash anyway, I expect it would error)

Yes, in the GPE ROM. The issue is I'm afraid it will break Switch, but it can't be dismissed manually.