USB On The Go

Guest Rocket

Anybody confirm this is working? I use the same cable from my Galaxy S3 with a USB flash drive and ES File Explorer shows USB storage but I cannot read or write to the drive.

Guest Justice™

Anybody confirm this is working? I use the same cable from my Galaxy S3 with a USB flash drive and ES File Explorer shows USB storage but I cannot read or write to the drive.

Are you rooted? You could try using StickMount or a similar app. I've seen mixed reports on USB OTG on the Hudl, but I've yet to try it out myself. 

Guest glossywhite

Are you rooted? You could try using StickMount or a similar app. I've seen mixed reports on USB OTG on the Hudl, but I've yet to try it out myself. 

"OTG" works 100% perfectly, with my old Dell AT102W mechanical keyboard via a PS/2-to-USB, my 16Gb sandisk SD card via a cheap "Poundland" card reader, my USB mice... etc. Mind you, this was only tested after rooting, so although I cannot imagine why rooting would be a pre-requisite for "OTG", do not take this as verbatim.

Brill, thanks :)

Edited by glossywhite

Guest Justice™

"OTG" works 100% perfectly, with my old Dell AT102W mechanical keyboard via a PS/2-to-USB, my 16Gb sandisk SD card via a cheap "Poundland" card reader, my USB mice... etc. Mind you, this was only tested after rooting, so although I cannot imagine why rooting would be a pre-requisite for "OTG", do not take this as verbatim.

Brill, thanks :)

I thought OTG was supported from honeycomb upwards, so rooting probably isn't a requirement. Its good to hear that OTG is confirmed working :)

Guest TescoHudl

I can also confirm that OTG is working perfectly with the Hudl. I'm using a 8GB Sandisk Cruzer Blade USB drive at the moment, with Stickmount. This is one of the main reasons i decided to root my device. :)

Just let o confirm, USB otg doesn't require root. Just plug in the adapter, the USB drive, and off you go.

Between SD card and USB, I currently have 96Gb of extra storage :)

Has anyone managed / tried to get it to work with a USB hub? I can recognise a USB drive or mouse etc plugged straight into the otg cable, but cant get it to pick up anything if I plug my (Powered) hub in?

Guest greyrider

Not me, powered hub just sits there, doing nothing. Three different sticks work fine and, my ,cheap, wireless mouse and keyboard do too so it's not all bad.

^ how bizarre. What firmware are you running?  Mine is as follows:

Model: Hudl HT7S3

Android Version: 4.2.2

Kernel: 3.0.36+ [email protected] #1 Mon Sep 23 02:05:55BST 2013

Build Number: JDQ39.20130923.020558

I figure if it works for you, it has to be either the firmware, or possibly a faulty otg cable, although I would expect neither to work if it was the cable....

Thanks for you response / help...

Update: Tried the OTG cable / hub combo on my GS3 and it works fine - recognises everything plugged in, so this is definitely hudl related. My guess is firmware, so considering downgrading (It did an update pretty much as soon as I turned it on). If anyone could confirm if it works on the above firmware version that would be great, Failing that, I guess its hardware somehow.....

Edited by pebrey

• 1 month later...
Guest Shadow152

I don't suppose anyone has any more info on this, had to get my Hudl swapped over as was not reading ANY micro SD cards, new one has come with the most up to date firmware, rooted it fine with Kingo but for some reason i can't seem to use any OTG features using either an OTG cable or OTG USB hub/card reader without power or with, this is my first android device so i'm not 100% clued up on it all but generally computer literate, is there any way to fix the OTG functionality without having to flash it, or if not how would i go about flashing it back to the very first firmware (1.1 i think?)

TIA

Shadow

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DavidB00

I would like to use the Hudl to backup & view my jpegs, for instance, when on holiday.

I have been trying to find a work around for the problem, I have tried "ES File Explorer" and "Stickmount", I was able to select, copy & paste to my micro sd card,

I used a Dynamode multi card reader,  (£6 from 7dayshop), and several USB sticks, they worked but, each time I changed the stick/card, it did not recognise it and I had to power down completely and   start again, a bit flaky.

For my second attempt, I used the same hardware and "Total Commander" with "USB-Stick Plugin(FREE) for Total Commander", This was more successful, I copied all of the files to my micro sd card, and I did not have the same problem that I had previously.

I viewed them with "ES Image Browser", I only had two very minor problems, the plugin "USB-Stick Plugin(FREE) for Total Commander" is only free till the end of the month, not a big problem, it costs 50 pence, and secondly, although I selected all of the jpegs on the USB stick, the "ES image Browser" only displayed one, this too was not a big problem, I selected all of the files, that I had copied to the micro SD card, and they all appeared in the "ES Image Browser" :) . 

• 1 month later...