There's quite an echo in here... come on devs! :-)

Guest glossywhite

Guest glossywhite

Hello? Hello? (do you hear the echo? :P)

artworks-000055722461-0yysom-original.jp

I've ground to a halt with regards to doing any significant work on the hudl. Why? Because the developer threads are all but non-existent, and noone seems to be doing ANYTHING for the hudl, development wise. I know Paul is busy running a business and keeping Modaco maintained - that is A LOT of work, and this certainly is not aimed at him, just so that is made clear :)

I'm disappointed that noone seems to share my enthusiasm for this device - there are NO ROMS AT ALL, and it's been out for over 3 weeks now... what's going on? I have never built a ROM in my life - yes, I know I can and could - I'm not in the slightest bit phased by the technical side of that, but is it worth my time investment?

Just quite surprising that this sub-forum seems to have become a ghost town... I can see the e-tumbleweed rolling past. Considering how well these are selling, and the hype that went into the launch, I find it rather strange that noone has taken this device on more, as regards development

Thoughts? Thank you :)

Edited by glossywhite

Guest glossywhite

I don't know, I'm not a dev myself. Has anyone asked Tesco about the kernel source yet?

You may as well ask the nearest horse to pass the ketchup at the annual village feast - Tesco can barely work out what they have in stock - I don't hold out much hope with getting the answer from them; maybe Archos or "Keen High" (the manufacturer) will yield better results for source code.

Edited by glossywhite

I do agree. Whilst I am no teccie, a couple of years ago, I bought a tablet direct from China and it didnt take too long before I found those out who were willing and able to take me thru the world of android desserts. And that was a tablet that probably only sold in the hundreds, like you I have watching nd waiting. Maybe I should have bought the nexus. Come on you guys

Guest hippy dave

I'm actually pretty happy with how the stock Rom works, after some cleaning up, but I guess I could always do with more options. May see if xposed helps when I get around to it, but will also be happy to see new roms start to appear.

Edited by hippy dave

Without kernel source, building ROMs from source isn't possible, which means you are limited to modifying the stock ROM, and custom ROMs based on stock ROMs are useless in my opinion.

You are considerably more limited in what is possible, and everything that could be done in a custom ROM could also be done manually by applying the various tweaks, which (while more time consuming) is a better option IMO because you get the tweaks you want, not what some random dev thinks is the best set of tweaks.

Plus with things like Xposed and Cydia Substrate, these sorts of tweaks can very easily be applied on pure stock ROMs with only root. This is an infinitely better solution than having dozens of custom ROMs each with a slightly different set of tweaks; just install the tweaks you want via Xposed (more tweaks available for Xposed right now than Cydia, although Cydia is a better framework in a number of ways; no harm done by having both though).

Now there is still something to be said for source-built ROMs (e.g. CyanogenMod, AOKP, ParanoidAndroid, or the new OmniROM). For one, once you have a build tree set up, you can generally get the very latest version of Android built for your device. So you can keep updating your device, instead of being stuck with whatever is released officially (e.g. 4.2.2 for the Hudl instead of 4.3). Additionally, these ROMs can modify features much more heavily, with things like PA being able to choose the UI being used on a per-app basis (i.e. PhoneUI, TabletUI or PhabletUI) and PA's HALO. There is actually a little innovation here, unlike in ROMs based on stock.

So in summary, for real development to start, Tesco need to release the kernel sources. And they are legally obligated to do so, it probably just takes a few customers taking action to get the ball rolling. Tesco won't want legal trouble, so they'll probably comply if pressured a little.

But even when sources are available, you must also bear in mind that the Hudl is basically a UK exclusive device, so it's not available to anywhere near as many devs as some other devices (e.g. Nexus devices, Kindle Fires, Samsung Tabs etc.). So development may be a little slow.

Guest greyrider

The only change I'd personally want in a ROM would be the removal of the Tesco button, boot sound (done that) and bloat (done that too) root (yep, done that) and full use of the SD card.

It's all a bit of a curate's egg though, I've got an Ainol Fire which is an excellent tablet, but still running perfectly in stock ROM. I followed all the new releases, including Paranoid Android, and then waited for the complaints to stop coming. So far there's been moments when I've laughed out loud, there's not a single ROM for the thing which hasn't some sort of issue while my old stock jobbie with a few tweaks, does the lot. So..I'm not too fussed. Personally.

The only change I'd personally want in a ROM would be the removal of the Tesco button, boot sound (done that) and bloat (done that too) root (yep, done that) and full use of the SD card.

It's all a bit of a curate's egg though, I've got an Ainol Fire which is an excellent tablet, but still running perfectly in stock ROM. I followed all the new releases, including Paranoid Android, and then waited for the complaints to stop coming. So far there's been moments when I've laughed out loud, there's not a single ROM for the thing which hasn't some sort of issue while my old stock jobbie with a few tweaks, does the lot. So..I'm not too fussed. Personally.

Tesco button can easily be removed as well by flashing the modified SystemUI PaulOBrien posted a while back. Not completely sure what you mean by "full use of SD card", but there is probably some script or something available that could do what you want, it's just a matter of finding it.

And the matter of bugs in custom ROMs is indeed a major issue IMO, on most devices, the majority of (source built) ROMs have at least some "minor" bugs not found on the stock ROMs. In some cases, the benefits will (to some people) outweigh the bugs. But in all cases, they're annoying, and one of the other reasons I forgot to mention about why custom ROMs are poor in comparison to manually installing tweaks for the stock ROM.

Guest Tigerlight

Install the XPosed Framework and Ultimate Dynamic Navbar (download from XDA not Play Store, developer provides full version on XDA with optional donate)

Full navbar replacement (bye Tesco button) and full screen real estate with the auto-hide function.

Guest gripweed1

Hi first post to this community!

Just had to ask whether anyone has had problems as a result of exposed Framework?

I had a happily rooted tablet that was fine until I tried putting UDN on.  I ended up with the keyboard getting totally screwed up and multiple nav bars selected with one press.  Reversing the process didn't help so I've just had to do a full wipe :-(  

Guest premkang

Hi first post to this community!

Just had to ask whether anyone has had problems as a result of exposed Framework?

I had a happily rooted tablet that was fine until I tried putting UDN on. I ended up with the keyboard getting totally screwed up and multiple nav bars selected with one press. Reversing the process didn't help so I've just had to do a full wipe :-(

I tried it but had already changed dpi with RomToolbox, not done anything but tried to setup tablet mode(notifications etc at the bottom). That didn't work but no negative affect either. Edited by premkang

Guest premkang

I'd love to see PA style romance but can't help as I've never tried anything like building my own rom.

Question for the knowledgeable, is kernel source necessary as there were many Roms for Galaxy Note (1& 2) before Samsung released their source?

Guest Frankish

If anyone is expecting MIUI or CM roms then you do need kernel source as ports will be rubbish and in some way broken. So get requesting that kernel source.

You can get a cream for that.

No need, I've already got piles of the stuff.....

Priceless guys!  :D

I'd love to see PA style romance but can't help as I've never tried anything like building my own rom.

Question for the knowledgeable, is kernel source necessary as there were many Roms for Galaxy Note (1& 2) before Samsung released their source?

For a source built ROM, kernel source is necessary. Sometimes kernel source from another similar device can be used. Otherwise, the only custom ROMs possible are modifications of the stock ROM.

The annoying thing is, there are a massive range of simular tablets on the market, so we'll not struggle too hard to port the custom ROMs over.

I really want to see that multiscreen mode Rockchip were demoing (and ported to devices)

Guest premkang

For a source built ROM, kernel source is necessary. Sometimes kernel source from another similar device can be used. Otherwise, the only custom ROMs possible are modifications of the stock ROM.

Understood. ta very much.

Has anyone managed to get proper tablet mode working on this yet (notifications etc at the bottom)?

Edited by premkang

Guest Justice™

So, we need to pursue source code from "Keen High"?

Our best bet would be pursuing either

- Keen High themselves (They only seem to manufacture the device however)

- Archos (Probably provided the firmware / kernel sources on which tesco use)

- Tesco (I know they sell, design and market the device but I'm not sure how much involvement there was from them on the software side.)

Understood. ta very much.

Has anyone managed to get proper tablet mode working on this yet (notifications etc at the bottom)?

This thread over at XDA has some info about triggering TabletUI (on Nexus 7, but it has the technical info required, so it should be possible to replicate it for Hudl I guess): http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1780970

You could also try just modifying the DPI on your tablet to trigger TabletUI.

Also note, there is an Xposed Framework module called "Xposed App Settings" which lets you set DPI on a per-app basis, which allows you to use TabletUI for just certain apps. (a la Paranoid Android). Dunno if it works properly on Hudl or not, but I see no real reason for it not to.

Guest greyrider

Xposed framework plays very nicely. If you want to change the DPI/LCD density - I tried 160 and rapidly went back, too small for my old eyes - remember stock is set @ 240

Edited by greyrider

Guest Justice™

If you're interested in running the nexus 10 tablet UI on the hudl, change your DPI to 210 or below (You'll also require another launcher, as the stock one crashed for me when using it)

Guest premkang

If you're interested in running the nexus 10 tablet UI on the hudl, change your DPI to 210 or below (You'll also require another launcher, as the stock one crashed for me when using it)

Currently at 175 using Nova Prime but no Tablet UI. Also tried 160 without success.

Also now tried 140 & 180 without success, although everything seems to work fine but in phablet mode.

Edited by premkang