Mini MicroSD Card Reader for Android

Guest tillaz

Guest andybarker

Great find.  Just ordered a couple for my Nexus 7 and Galaxy S4.

For me the benefit is a small Micro SD card reader I can plug into each device, no need for OTG cables and larger card reader.  On the S4 I can take pictures from my compact camera, and easily upload somewhere (and not having to pop the back off to get at the internal slot).  On the Nexus 7, I can pop videos on a card and watch them on the train or plane (much quicker than copying over WiFi).

For intermittent use, these look perfect.

Guest jpxdude

Hey there

I managed to get one of these a while ago, as I was a kickstarter backer. I have tried this on the Moto G, and it kind of works, in that as soon as you plug it in, you can read files from it pretty easily, however I've yet to figure out how to write to it.

I have rooted and tried programs like Stickmount which are not making a difference. Anyone have any ideas on this?

*Edit - somehow managed to get it working. I formatted my microsd to fat32 a few times, and installed Stickmount on the Moto G, it didn't work at first, but I manually deleted the 'usbStorage' directory it creates (since it wasn't unmounting properly) then inserted my microsd device in the Moto G. The directory was recreated, and it just started working again. Weirdly once I unmounted, disconnected and reconnected, it no longer uses the usbStorage directory, and just uses the default usbStorage1.1.1 instead, but still works.

Edited by jpxdude

Guest andybarker

Got mine today. Tried on the S4 and was able to play a 720p video direct from a card including skipping around the video without any delay.

I also tried on our 2012 Nexus 7, and with the Nexus Media Importer app it works perfectly as well.

Gonna be great for getting pics from our stills camera and mobile phones onto the N7 more easily when on holiday - single small adapter instead of the previous OTG adapter plus MicroSD reader.

Also means getting videos onto the Nexus 7 when travelling will be simpler (plonk them on a card, and leave the adapter in the Nexus whilst watching).

• 2 weeks later...

Got one of these today for my Galaxy Nexus which annoyingly with CM11 won't mount to the filesystem without the need for Nexus Media Importer till they fix that bug.

I've had the chance to try it on one of my parents Moto G's and it mounts to the device but you need to use ES File Explorer to view files on the SD card it doesn't seem to be seen by Gallery or any video players so you'll need to stream through ES File Explorer.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest fuzzyy

a cheaper alternative here only £2.18

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Micro-USB-OTG-SD-SDXC-SDHC-TF-Card-Reader-Adapter-for-Samsung-Galaxy-S2-S3-Note-/200984964533?pt=UK_Memory_Card_Readers_Adapters&hash=item2ecba32db5

says for samsung galaxy e.t.c......but can't see what difference it makes ?

There's only one way to find out...

I feel like these would be better if they were part of a case for the phone, which you could leave attached without worrying about it breaking off?

Guest alpine101

I bought one of these:

http://dx.com/p/otg-usb-micro-sd-tf-card-reader-w-3-5mm-dustproof-plug-white-silver-215617

It's particularly neat since when the flap is open, it exposes a standard USB connector, and you can plug it into a normal USB port while leaving the microsd card in place on the other side of the device. It took about 3 weeks to come from China.

I already own and use a meenova for rom and app backups but I wanted something to use with my digital camera to upload to cloud services quickly with standard SD Card.

I found this on dx.com and it came very quickly.

It has both microSD and standard SD reader built in

post-26571-0-32419100-1389396008_thumb.j

post-26571-0-64428400-1389396031_thumb.j

post-26571-0-54943100-1389396052_thumb.j

post-26571-0-65494200-1389396081_thumb.j

Edited by remlap

Guest andybarker

Without seeing them side by side I can't be sure, but I think the Meenova sticks out a bit less than the others.  This is more relevant when you want to leave it in whilst watching a movie, less important if you just want to transfer some photos.

Like the look of the one that alpine101 referenced - having USB and MicroUSB connectors all in one gizmo could be handy for some people.  Particularly transferring files from a mobile / tablet to a PC.

Guest Nuno Ferreira
a cheaper alternative here only £2.18 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Micro-USB-OTG-SD-SDXC-SDHC-TF-Card-Reader-Adapter-for-Samsung-Galaxy-S2-S3-Note-/200984964533?pt=UK_Memory_Card_Readers_Adapters&hash=item2ecba32db5 says for samsung galaxy e.t.c......but can't see what difference it makes ?
Working fine here, rooted using stickmount Edited by Nuno Ferreira