Phone upgrade.

Guest execpwd

Guest execpwd

Hello everyone. I opened this topic because it's over an year since I have been using this gorgeous smartphone built by Acer, the CloudMobile S500. It is a good phone, indeed, it has a smoking hot design, it is built from quality materials, also owns a good quality display, and the list can go on, but I decided it's time for an upgrade. What determined me to get over the S500? First thing : no upper than 4.1.2 update and with the new phones coming the display seems too small.

So, going back to subject, I am asking for your help. What phones would you recommend as an upgrade?

I have ~300 dollars in my pocket and at first I thought about the Moto G and Nexus 4, but I am not so sure on my decisions...

I am looking forward to seeing the recommendations!

Thank you very much!

I wouldn't buy a Phone that hasn't got 4G/LTE anymore, at least a 4.7" display and Android 4.3.

And until that combo becomes very affordable, I'll stick with my S500.

LG G2 or so would be nice ;-)

Guest execpwd

To be honest , I really like the G2 , but it's too big for my desires. I am looking for a ~5 inch display phone. ( min 4.5 inch ) Also, the price is pretty spicy... Huawei Ascend P6 would be another option ? I also like the HTC One X+. The thing is, I heard some of the guys who bought Moto G were pretty disappointed ...

Should I also consider Samsung devices ? I was thinking about the SIII 4G or the Note 2.

Also , if that is relevant, I am going to buy the phone from Amazon, since they have pretty nice prices.

L.E : Yeah, I'm officially just standing here and looking at smartphones on internet for literally 5 hours ... I have no idea what to go for. Any suggestions, please? My head starts to hurt ..

Edited by execpwd

Guest Tomvl117

Samsung s3 with custom ROM is pretty awesome, really active community. HTC One X+? Not so much. The custom ROM community for that phone is even smaller than this one ;)

Just search around for a bit, use some price/specs comparison sites and pick your favorite phone! Also please remember to check the phone's XDA/MoDaCo communities.

EDIT: I'm putting so much emphasis on the ROM communities, because phones with a wide And great community tend to live longer ;)

Edited by Tomvl117

Guest execpwd

Samsung s3 with custom ROM is pretty awesome, really active community. HTC One X+? Not so much. The custom ROM community for that phone is even smaller than this one ;)

Just search around for a bit, use some price/specs comparison sites and pick your favorite phone! Also please remember to check the phone's XDA/MoDaCo communities.

EDIT: I'm putting so much emphasis on the ROM communities, because phones with a wide And great community tend to live longer ;)

Good to know. I had a vague idea that the One X+ has a small community, but I was seduced by that NVIDIA quad CPU... I sincerely like the S3, but I would only go for the 4G version. I am going to research for at least 2-3 days, and I will ask some of my friends who own Moto G, S3 and the Nexus 4 for opinions. Maybe I get lucky and they will let me test them for a day at least...

Community IS important.

My spare phone was my first android phone, to see if i could live with android after Maemo on my Nokia N900.

IT is a second hand ZTE Blade V1, bought it for 50€, and it's running CM11, Android 4.4.2 KitKat ...

There is huge community supporting it and that makes a big difference ...

I still use it for festivals :-)

Guest execpwd

Community IS important.

My spare phone was my first android phone, to see if i could live with android after Maemo on my Nokia N900.

IT is a second hand ZTE Blade V1, bought it for 50€, and it's running CM11, Android 4.4.2 KitKat ...

There is huge community supporting it and that makes a big difference ...

I still use it for festivals :-)

Community and easy development is what I am looking for. It means that Moto G and Nexus 4 are the main choices, followed by S3 4G, Oppo Find 5 (in which case I will have to wait for my 'paycheck')... I would love some help and opinions...

Community and easy development is what I am looking for. It means that Moto G and Nexus 4 are the main choices, followed by S3 4G, Oppo Find 5 (in which case I will have to wait for my 'paycheck')... I would love some help and opinions...

I would wait 1 or 2 month more and pick the galaxy s4. Should price drop soon, if rumors regarding new s5 are true...The just-released samsung flagships do not have the same quality/price ratio than the S500 for example, and their non-flagships phones are s*** imho. But the previous gen flagship is usually nice, nice screen/size ratio, huge community (roms, accessories,backcovers...), replacable batteries and micro-sd. Very few new phones have those characteristics, so that's what I plan to do if I feel like replacing my s500. Else, some sony looks more and more interesting, with their water resistance. I saw u came from the defy like I did, and that's one thing I miss with my Acer. The Moto X is interesting too, but no microsd :(

Guest execpwd

Alright. The thing is the price on S4 is stupidly high and I simply don't like the look. I love the S3. I also love Nexus 4 ( over the Moto G ). Moto X is not shipped in Europe ... :( . I don't care about the micro-sd, as long as the device has at least 16 gigs of memory. ( I keep my photos and music on cloud ). I also don't really like Sony devices. ( the quality of the display is really poor - especially on the water resistant devices ). Today I had the chance to compare the Nexus 4 and Moto G - and from the exact experience ( both had 4.4.2 stock ROM ) I like the Nexus 4 more. A little bit bigger screen, faster response, better camera - and the glass design is simply SEXY!. What I did like about the Moto G : the display had sharper colors, the back cover is removable - nice customization may income ... So , although the N4 is ~ 100 dollars more expensive, I would go for him ... Tomorrow I will receive a S3 for comparison ! 

After I test them in parallel, I will draw a conclusion ...

Guest Spacecaker

I have used Galaxy S3 from my niece for a short while but damn this phone becomes very laggy after a while .

if you choose that phone u probaply will result in flashing Aosp Or a CM rom as the stock rom is soo damn unoptimized. 

even though it has those specs its still bit slowish 

would still prefer Nexus 4 above S3 :p

Guest execpwd

I have used Galaxy S3 from my niece for a short while but damn this phone becomes very laggy after a while .

if you choose that phone u probaply will result in flashing Aosp Or a CM rom as the stock rom is soo damn unoptimized.

even though it has those specs its still bit slowish

would still prefer Nexus 4 above S3 :p

Good to know. Anyways, anything I buy, the first thing installed is CM 11.

Guest execpwd

Good to know. Anyways, anything I buy, the first thing installed is CM 11.

Wow , I just noticed that Nexus 4 has 2 Gigs of RAM. Choice made. Screw S3 and Samsung devices ! :)) 

I am going for LG Nexus 4 - 16 Gigabytes internal memory edition .

Guest execpwd

Help ! I have been looking for Nexus 4 everywhere ! I don't know where to buy it from ! Considering the fact that on Amazon.co.uk the price is 235 Pounds, on Amazon.com the price is about 207 Pounds ( 343 dollars )and on a romanian site shop (pcgarage.ro) the price is 255 Pounds, I am not sure where to buy it from. I don't know if Amazon offers warranty and I don't know where the LG closest service is. I don't know what's the procedure for warranty (talking about Amazon.).   So, those who bought from Amazon, please tell me if they offer warranty, and / or if you know other shops where I can buy online from ( maybe even cheaper ) would be great. I am certainly going to buy the phone, but if I can save some money that would be great.  Thank you very much. L.E : any ideas / suggestions of places to buy from?

Edited by execpwd

Help ! I have been looking for Nexus 4 everywhere ! I don't know where to buy it from ! Considering the fact that on Amazon.co.uk the price is 235 Pounds, on Amazon.com the price is about 207 Pounds ( 343 dollars )and on a romanian site shop (pcgarage.ro) the price is 255 Pounds, I am not sure where to buy it from. I don't know if Amazon offers warranty and I don't know where the LG closest service is. I don't know what's the procedure for warranty (talking about Amazon.).   So, those who bought from Amazon, please tell me if they offer warranty, and / or if you know other shops where I can buy online from ( maybe even cheaper ) would be great. I am certainly going to buy the phone, but if I can save some money that would be great.  Thank you very much. L.E : any ideas / suggestions of places to buy from?

I bought a lot of products on Amazon (.it) and their after-sale service is excellent, I'm actually using it as 1st place where to buy everything

Few months ago I had some issues with a coffe machine, after 3 months from the purchase date (plastic melt... not a simple malfunction), and Amazon replaced it with a new one in 2 days without any problem

I don't know how they apply the warranty regarding smartphones, but I cannot see any reason why it should be different

Guest execpwd

Why do you ask about Nexus 4 on a CloudMobile forum ???

I opened it here because I want to upgrade from CloudMobile. I simply asked what phones are the best options and what shop offers the best services. If you consider that my topic has nothing to do with Acer's thread (I am using a CloudMobile, and I was talking about an upgrade from this phone to ant other...), please report me, and ask a Administrator to move my topic to other section, but don't ask silly questions. ' If you have nothing constructive to say, you' d better shut up '.

Guest execpwd

I bought a lot of products on Amazon (.it) and their after-sale service is excellent, I'm actually using it as 1st place where to buy everything

Few months ago I had some issues with a coffe machine, after 3 months from the purchase date (plastic melt... not a simple malfunction), and Amazon replaced it with a new one in 2 days without any problem

I don't know how they apply the warranty regarding smartphones, but I cannot see any reason why it should be different

Thank you very much for your feedback. It seems like Amazon is the best marketplace 'till now.. M

• 2 weeks later...

looking to buy a new Phone too, probably a second hand LG G2.

Notification LED and 5.2" display :wub:, but lacking MicroSD :unsure:

otherwise it would be the perfect Phone (for me).

maximum screen you can carry in your pocket  :)