Switching off mobile data (NOT data roaming)

Guest Voxpop2011

Guest maniac_mouse

What is the effect of switching off mobile data?

Thanks

Not sure if your trolling, but anyway.....

It switches off the cellular data connection, you can still make/receive phonecalls and texts as well as use wifi or bluetooth.

Effects of doing so?, while out of range of a wifi hotspot,  apps, widgets and the phones os wont be able to get data or sync with online sources.

So your facebook or rss feeds wont get updates, google maps wont work very well, and any instant messaging apps will go offline for example.

I always turn mobile data off and only turn it on if there is no wifi connection available as many apps tend to sip data behind your back, which doesnt matter on wifi, but certainly does if your paying for a limited data plan and you go over your quota.

Edited by maniac_mouse

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Voxpop2011

Thanks, maniac_mouse.  I use pay and go and wondered why my credit was running out so fast, despite my only making a few calls and using the internet sparely when out and about.  It seems those pesky permissions are largely to blame.  I keep data switched off now and rely on wi-fi when at home.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MJonMoDaCo

Thanks, maniac_mouse.  I use pay and go and wondered why my credit was running out so fast, despite my only making a few calls and using the internet sparely when out and about.  It seems those pesky permissions are largely to blame.  I keep data switched off now and rely on wi-fi when at home.

I knew you wouldn't be a troller :D

But I have noticed one thing in particular. It's a bit hard to access mobile data when the WiFi is turned on at the same time in some cases! This won't be the case when you're using your own home connection, but if you're elsewhere and scanning (and possibly hooking onto) other access points, your mobile data will seem like it's been cut off. That will only happen if you've got the WiFi switched on but don't intend to use it. If you notice this, be sure to turn it (the WiFi) off completely on your phone. Then the mobile data will work without problem.

Edited by MJonMoDaCo

Guest maniac_mouse

No probs.  If you are rooted, install a firewall.  You can let apps use wifi, but block em from using cellular data. Afwall+ https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=dev.ukanth.ufirewall is good, as is the one in avast https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.avast.android.mobilesecurity , or if you want total control of all permissions the excellent xprivacy xposed module (installer: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=biz.bokhorst.xprivacy.installer ) is fantastic.

I used to use lbe as my go-to permissions manager(the full fat Chinese one some xda members translated into English rather than the cut down one in the play store).  It has a very simple popup system whenever an app requests a permission, but it seems to have problems with newer roms and has become too bloated for my liking. 

Pdroid is another promising permissions manager, but it needs to be spliced into your flashable rom image manually and isnt compatible with many roms now.

lbe and pdroid are both on xda, just search that site to find em if you want to check them out.

Edited by maniac_mouse