Hudl 1.3.1 Update

Guest menace1944

Guest flurry

I used the kingoapp method. When I get time on Monday I'll check if kingoapp can root it again.

I wonder if there's a difference between the permanence of rooting via the kingoapp method and flashing the rooted rom from this site? Maybe that could explain why some keep root and yours didnt?

Guest flurry

I'm not entirely sure, it may do as the file size won't match the original, though I would imagine having root would be a more likely cause for it to fail. I suspect tesco have been rolling the update out slowly in stages and that we'll probably receive it soon.

If it's just a screen issue patch then I'm not sure I'll bother hunting it down manually if it doesn't show on my device

Guest fluke9

Well I updated the wifes and it all went perfectly.

Mine though just keeps erroring.

Removed root, the Tesco buton mod via toolbox removed.

Not sure what to try next only 5 months into Android, after IOS and before that Symbian and Windblows..

Guest CaptainZok

Yes it does sirius-c.
Just had to revert mine to the old SystemUI before it would update then put the modded one back afterwards. Root has stayed though which saves a job.

Edited by CaptainZok

Guest flurry

Yes it does sirius-c.

Just had to revert mine to the old SystemUI before it would update then put the modded one back afterwards. Root has stayed though which saves a job.

Did the update show but fail to install before you put the stock SystemUI back, or not even show?

Guest sirius-c

Did the update show but fail to install before you put the stock SystemUI back, or not even show?

I've tried reverting back to full stock and didn't get the update.

The only reason I asked about the system.ui is:-

I use my hudl on a regular basis, so I flashed the stock recovery in place of CWM recovery......the theory being I could still use my hudl and I would receive the update...but after your post I guess not

It's no big deal, every few days I'll revert back to stock ROM v1.3 and keep checking or put the stock system.ui back in

Guest sirius-c

Ah, just a thought, should I be uninstalling xposed framework too? *EDIT* It's a shame noone is sharing the update file

Edited by sirius-c

Guest flurry

Ah, just a thought, should I be uninstalling xposed framework too? *EDIT* It's a shame noone is sharing the update file

if you're flashing back to the stock rom wouldn't that wipe the root access xposed needs, thus making it inactive anyway?

Indeed, a copy of the update file would be very useful!

Guest sirius-c

I used the Windows rktools program to flash stock, yes it removes root......when I found there was no update I tinkered with the Linux method and flashed CWM recovery so I could restore my latest setup/backup, which restored root......then I flashed back the stock recovery in Linux in an effort to receive the update when available..... I think what I'll do now is inject the stock system.ui into my current setup too..... This way I can retain my latest setup/apps and hopefully receive the update.......unless I need to disable/uninstall xposed framework? If all else fails then I'll go back to fully stock again, update to v1.3.1 when it shows itself, then restore a titanium backup *EDIT* Come on v1.3.1 Tick bloody tock!

Edited by sirius-c

Guest flurry

I used the Windows rktools program to flash stock, yes it removes root......when I found there was no update I tinkered with the Linux method and flashed CWM recovery so I could restore my latest setup/backup, which restored root......then I flashed back the stock recovery in Linux in an effort to receive the update when available..... I think what I'll do now is inject the stock system.ui into my current setup too..... This way I can retain my latest setup/apps and hopefully receive the update.......unless I need to disable/uninstall xposed framework. If all else fails then I'll go back to fully stock again, update to v1.3.1 when it shows itself, then restore a titanium backup

do you have the screen freeze issue? If not then it may not be worth jumping through the hoops to get the update?

Guest sirius-c

I most certainly do, I'm on my second hudl....I really do like the hudl specification wise, but this screen prob and laggy screen clicks is really annoying me now......I was going to take it back and give up so I'm eager to try this update as my poor power button gets some right stick

Guest PsYcHoKiLLa

Just got the update today :)

It comes up with the new Google enforced "Powered by Android" text at the bootup.

Gonna have a look at how it performs now, still not sure why they couldn't have released 4.4 when there's a build out there running on a Hudl.

Here's the screenshot for the version info:

kbeosl.png

..and here's the new touch screen fix "app" in settings>display

1gonb5.png

Edited by PsYcHoKiLLa

Guest PsYcHoKiLLa

Couldn't tell you to be honest, I've not really been getting the problems people described, seems smooth enough but you can still tell it's crying out for KitKat which makes this even more annoying :

That was back in January, why is there a dev copy of 4.4 running on a Hudl and we've got nothing, not sure I would entertain buying the Hudl 2 if this is how Tesco are gonna treat their users, the same as any other random Chinese manufacturer.

Just to prove it, I cleaned up the bit where he show the settings screen :

14vs12u.png

Hopefully that's some kind of rom from FreakTab that'll end up being released.

Edited by PsYcHoKiLLa

Guest sirius-c

Well if it doesn't fix my screen probs it's going back, Samsung galaxy tab 3's are a bit of a bargain these days from dabs.com

Guest PsYcHoKiLLa

Just to let you know mine is rooted and I have xposed framework installed on it and was still offered the update so you should get it some time this week.

Guest sirius-c
Just to let you know mine is rooted and I have xposed framework installed on it and was still offered the update so you should get it some time this week.
Thanks for info Edited by sirius-c

Guest everett_psycho

Finally got the update, tried the reset touch screen so we will see how it goes. If it's a case of needing to do that whenever it goes I'll be taking it back

Guest flurry

I've just received the update too, despite being rooted, having my modified version of the SystemUI and xposed installed. I've yet to try installing the update, but have managed to copy it off the hudl so I'll upload it later!

Guest flurry

hokay, update downloads, verifies, reboots and starts to install but then errors

EDIT: as CaptainZok noted on the previous page, replacing the modified SystemUI.apk with the stock one prevents the update erroring. I appear to have lost root though.

Edited by flurry

Guest flurry

Despite apparently losing root access, the superuser.apk seems to still be installed, as does the daemonsu and su binary in the /system/xbin folder - what's missing?

Would unzipping the update, adding in the relevant superuser requirements in the correct places, rezipping and installing work? That is, of course if the new zip would pass the validation etc?

Edited by flurry

Guest sirius-c

failed to install with my setup even after restoring stock recovery and stock system.ui.

I'm currently flashing stock v1.3, applying update 1.3.1 as we speak then im going to rip it all via linux and put on here.

Ive no idea how to create a IMG file for windows RKTOOLS17, but maybe someone could create one from the files I'll upload later

Guest flurry

I'm currently reading off the system.img from my hudl to linux using the rkflashtool, I think I can then mount it using OSFMount in windows and add the superuser elements from the rooted v1.3 rom. I'll then unmount the image from windows, put it back into linux and flash it back onto the hudl - hopefully this will restore the root access. If anyone sees a flaw in this plan please tell me!

Only a marginal pain in the ass as I'm on OSX so having to use virtual machines for both linux and windows!