Continuation of IODAK's excellent work. [kernel] updated 14-09-02

Guest Mourta

Guest Gkeko

There you go:

Tegra cpu variant

/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/tegra_cpu_variant

Thanks... 

tegra_variant is 1, CPU is weak sorry :(

this is written... so how come i cant undervolt it to -100 LP and MPU but only -50?

Guest Giuseppe Vallone

Thanks...

tegra_variant is 1, CPU is weak sorry :(

this is written... so how come i cant undervolt it to -100 LP and MPU but only -50?

Sadly, your CPU is not so "elastic" to make you able to customize settings over some values..

On the contrary, I had a surprise; watching on that folder, I saw this:

tegra_variant is 3, CPU is strong uhuuuu! :)

I was thinking my CPU variant was 2, because when I check it under performance control info, it shows to me "0x2" :P

Guest Gkeko

So is there any other option to change this CPU variant? So how come this can be so diferent from one to another 4x? Should be the same ;)

Guest technofreak

Sadly, your CPU is not so "elastic" to make you able to customize settings over some values..

On the contrary, I had a surprise; watching on that folder, I saw this:

tegra_variant is 3, CPU is strong uhuuuu! :)

I was thinking my CPU variant was 2, because when I check it under performance control info, it shows to me "0x2" :P

I just won't to ask you that,to make double check, because i have same situation :D, so that was confusing, but is solved now...

Guest Giuseppe Vallone

So is there any other option to change this CPU variant? So how come this can be so diferent from one to another 4x? Should be the same ;)

Nope, it's hardware related, I think..you have been unlucky, my friend [emoji28]

Guest Omario-242

There's no way to change your variant as this is a hardware information, not an option or anything.

But I don't know how this affects the cpu's stability as I usually undervolt 75 mV on a variant 0 and have no problems at all.

I think the variant isn't that important, maybe there are other factors we don't know (yet).

But as Ben already said, undervolting never gave me a noticeable increase in battery life

(it got hot as well). Nothing to worry about at all that your "cpu is weak" ;)

Edited by Omario-242

Guest Giuseppe Vallone

There's no way to change your variant as this is a hardware information, not an option or anything.

But I don't know how this affects the cpu's stability as I usually undervolt 75 mV on a variant 0 and have no problems at all.

I think the variant isn't that important, maybe there are other factors we don't know (yet).

But as Ben already said, undervolting never gave me a noticeable increase in battery life

(it got hot as well). Nothing to worry about at all that your "cpu is weak" ;)

I noticed some durability improvements, undevolting my frequencies (and it's possible to have improvements, if you consider that uVolt allows each frequency using less power from battery)

About "Your cpu is weak", you're right. Weak CPU only should mean it's not so good in overclocking

Guest Gkeko

little offtopic... damn tryed this liquid... fast as hell... so many options that i dont know where and what to set ;) great work @Mourta. Will also flash this kernel.

@Giuseppe Vallone Well i also see CPU Variant 0x2 like you have... thats strange ;)

Guest Giuseppe Vallone

little offtopic... damn tryed this liquid... fast as hell... so many options that i dont know where and what to set ;) great work @Mourta. Will also flash this kernel.

@Giuseppe Vallone Well i also see CPU Variant 0x2 like you have... thats strange ;)

At this point, considering that in performance settings it's showed as 0x2 for everyone, I think that the real cpu variant is the one showed into the tegra_cpu_variant file :D

Guest Gkeko

At this point, considering that in performance settings it's showed as 0x2 for everyone, I think that the real cpu variant is the one showed into the tegra_cpu_variant file :D

Dude can we change our phones?;) I'll send you mine after you send yours ;-)

Will see if it stays -100 on MPU after rebooting my phone.

Guest Giuseppe Vallone

Dude can we change our phones?;) I'll send you mine after you send yours ;-)

Will see if it stays -100 on MPU after rebooting my phone.

Ahahahah, sorry, I'd not be so happy after this change, I think ;DDD

Guest jonbubble

1. Is the ROM based off of grouper blobs or other?

2. Does it have green screen in camera pano,photosphere and Skype?

3. Does OK Google hotword work?

Thanks

Guest Mourta

1. Is the ROM based off of grouper blobs or other?

2. Does it have green screen in camera pano,photosphere and Skype?

3. Does OK Google hotword work?

Thanks

You're in the wrong thread.

1. Yes, it uses grouper blobs.

2. No, not in camera at least, i have not tried it in anything else yet.

3. I have no idea, i only use the launchers voice commands when i am in my car and those work great.

I have yet to find anything that is not working properly and i have been using it for several weeks, one week with the current kernel and ROM.

Edited by Mourta

Guest Ben36

@Mourta Which scheduler is supposed to work in the best way with this kernel, in your opinion?

And is it Westwood or Westwood+ in your kernel as kernel apps never seem to show the +

Guest Mourta

@Mourta Which scheduler is supposed to work in the best way with this kernel, in your opinion?

Row is what I use, for all kernels it's either row or noop.

Guest Giuseppe Vallone

@Mourta I was not totally convinced about abyssplug being active, so I made a new experiment. In Beanstalk we have an option under developer settings (I don't remember if in other roms it exists), it's the one selected in the following screen; it allows me to have on the right corner of the screen a detailed view of what frequency each single core is using, and what governor is used by each core:

post-1044898-14067298690648_thumb.jpg

This screenshot has been taken after a full wipe (cache, dalvik, system) and a reinstallation of all my ROM, gapps and kernel. I made the process twice, to test what was the result on changing governor from the default (interactive) to abyssplug using trickster, at first, then the built in performance profile, then the kernel tweaker stand alone app. Well, I noticed this: when I tried to change the gov using trickster, abyssplug has been applied to ALL the cores, but the phone freezed and the screen turned immediately off (I had to hard reboot to wake up the device; and moreover, trickster applied the gov change to all cores even when the selected gov was power save, performance, ondemand, etc); when I changed the gov using performance settings or kernel tweaker app, abyssplug has been applyed only to core0 (as you can see on my screenshot), while the other cores stayed on interactive (the same with any other gov selection: performance, Wheatley, user space, etc) and there were no reboots.. So, only trickster seems to apply gov settings to all cores, while other apps or tools don't..but the problem is that when trickster applies changes, then phone freezes O.o

Of course every time I made the operation, I wiped data and cache of trickster, kernel tweaker, etc, wiped everything and reflashed the entire system using recovery, and finally I made each single try

Edited by Giuseppe Vallone

Guest technofreak

@Mourta I was not totally convinced about abyssplug being active, so I made a new experiment. In Beanstalk we have an option under developer settings (I don't remember if in other roms it exists), it's the one selected in the following screen; it allows me to have on the right corner of the screen a detailed view of what frequency each single core is using, and what governor is used by each core:

attachicon.gifScreenshot_2014-07-30-16-07-24.png

This screenshot has been taken after a full wipe (cache, dalvik, system) and a reinstallation of all my ROM, gapps and kernel. I made the process twice, to test what was the result on changing governor from the default (interactive) to abyssplug using trickster, at first, then the built in performance profile, then the kernel tweaker stand alone app. Well, I noticed this: when I tried to change the gov using trickster, abyssplug has been applied to ALL the cores, but the phone freezed and the screen turned immediately off (I had to hard reboot to wake up the device; and moreover, trickster applied the gov change to all cores even when the selected gov was power save, performance, ondemand, etc); when I changed the gov using performance settings or kernel tweaker app, abyssplug has been applyed only to core0 (as you can see on my screenshot), while the other cores stayed on interactive (the same with any other gov selection: performance, Wheatley, user space, etc) and there were no reboots.. So, only trickster seems to apply gov settings to all cores, while other apps or tools don't..but the problem is that when trickster applies changes, then phone freezes O.o

Of course every time I made the operation, I wiped data and cache of trickster, kernel tweaker, etc, wiped everything and reflashed the entire system using recovery, and finally I made each single try

Thanks for your effort man, we need man like you. :) I just wan't to tell that maybe Mourta thought that when he said: "Choose balanced for now (i forgot that i changed a lot of things that may not make abyssplug able to completely control the cpu interface, this should be fixed by next version)." So we soon can expect fix for that ;) ..i think :)

Guest Giuseppe Vallone

Thanks for your effort man, we need man like you. :) I just wan't to tell that maybe Mourta thought that when he said: "Choose balanced for now (i forgot that i changed a lot of things that may not make abyssplug able to completely control the cpu interface, this should be fixed by next version)." So we soon can expect fix for that ;) ..i think :)

Oh, thank you for the credit you're giving to me :) Yes, I hope it'll be as you said! ;) I tried to set cpuquiet to balanced and the problem persist, though.

Let's wait for Mourta's reply :)

Guest technofreak

Oh, thank you for the credit you're giving to me :) Yes, I hope it'll be as you said! ;) I tried to set cpuquiet to balanced and the problem persist, though.

Let's wait for Mourta's reply :)

I agree. We just can guess. But he can do more than that.

Guest Giuseppe Vallone

I agree. We just can guess. But he can do more than that.

Yes, of course ;)

@ Mourta If you need a last_kmsg, I got it :)

Guest technofreak

or you can install the kernel on stock ROM's android 4.1.2

What?? :) If you wanna ask if you can istall that kernel on stock rom...you can't it's only for custom roms.