banking apps ban rooted/modded roms

Guest Mrian

Guest Mrian

Im sure im not that only person who uses banking apps, i use lloyds. But they have recently introduced a new app which "scans" your mobile to see if it has a rooted or modded rom and then refuses to run , because rooted phones are a security risk. Whats your take on this, is it a risk to use modded roms/root your phone. Personally i love the added control, but wouldn't like to be at risk. Is it a genuine risk, are lloyds being over zealous?

Guest awarner

Safety first for me, if there is a risk then the bank cannot take a chance, who would foot the bill if money went  missing, the user for enabling their device to be a security risk or the bank for allowing you to use the app on the device?

Guest andybarker

It's a tough one for sure.  Convenience or security - in this instance we have to choose one or the other.  I'm on the "security" side on this one.

Of course, when asking the same question about using Netflix or similar on a rooted phone - very different answer :)

Guest ultrak3wl

Personally I think it's stupid. People routinely login to online banking from any old virus-ridden Windows PC, the banks don't check to see if you are in the administrators group or whatever. 

Guest andybarker

Personally I think it's stupid. People routinely login to online banking from any old virus-ridden Windows PC, the banks don't check to see if you are in the administrators group or whatever. 

The security you have for a lot of banking web sites tends to be more than for the mobile app. Also this is an app - the banks CAN check more than with a website.  I suspect that if you had a banking APP on a PC, it would check more than the website can.

• 2 months later...
Guest Maximus9

Barclays app also doesn't work on rooted phones. But it also doesn't work on Dual SIM phones!

FirstDirect and RBS apps do work on rooted phones (and Dual SIM).

In my opinion it is very difficult to imagine someone takes your phone, roots it, installs something to track your logins and returns it to you...

Really... the phone is quite personal. Let me play with it. Root is useful. Are there any cases of people loosing money because of a rooted phone?

And if yes, how many? Why most banks do not care about this? Do you check if the PC is used using Admin account or Root ???