[DEV][ROM][2.8.] CAF Firefox OS - B2G for ZTE Open C / Kis 3

Guest KonstaT

You've read this part, right?

Firefox OS (Jelly Bean) modem won't work. You need to update to KitKat first.

Yes, I have - but the first time I didn't use KitKat with the SIM card inserted as I proceeded to flashing b2g (so couldn't tell at what point the SIM card stopped working). I have now re-tried and the SIM card still works with KitKat, but stops working once I flash b2g on top of KitKat...

Guest KonstaT

Yes, I have - but the first time I didn't use KitKat with the SIM card inserted as I proceeded to flashing b2g (so couldn't tell at what point the SIM card stopped working). I have now re-tried and the SIM card still works with KitKat, but stops working once I flash b2g on top of KitKat...

You've done a clean install (factory reset + format /system), right? Have you disabled SIM PIN on your SIM card or anything else like that? Also try toggling airplane mode on and off. That was needed in some B2G versions with some SIM cards for the PIN query to pop up. Haven't experienced/heard of any RIL issues with this build before.

If it still doesn't work, post a logcat and a radio log.
adb logcat > logcat.txt
adb logcat -b radio > radiolog.txt

You've done a clean install (factory reset + format /system), right? Have you disabled SIM PIN on your SIM card or anything else like that? Also try toggling airplane mode on and off. That was needed in some B2G versions with some SIM cards for the PIN query to pop up. Haven't experienced/heard of any RIL issues with this build before.

If it still doesn't work, post a logcat and a radio log.

Have tried with a clean install with and without SIM PIN and toggling airplane mode on and off - no luck...

Do I need to enable any special debugging for the logs to be useful as I can't see anything too useful in there (radiolog.txt is with the new firmware and radiolog-jb.txt is with the old JB-based firmware).

radiolog.txt

logcat.txt

radiolog-jb.txt

Guest KonstaT

Have tried with a clean install with and without SIM PIN and toggling airplane mode on and off - no luck...

Do I need to enable any special debugging for the logs to be useful as I can't see anything too useful in there (radiolog.txt is with the new firmware and radiolog-jb.txt is with the old JB-based firmware).

How did you grab those radio logs? There should be a lot a more in the radiolog-jb that's supposed to represent working condition. Now it would seem that they both fail at the same point. :o You can run 'adb logcat -b radio > filename.txt' sometime when your device is still booting and ctrl+c to cancel it after you've entered SIM PIN and connectected to a network (or when that was supposed to happen).

I actually had similar issue with one prepaid SIM that had run out of credit on a previous device. It still worked fine on CyanogenMod but it just wasn't recogniced on B2G. I'm quite sure it worked on B2G too while it still had credit.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest G.Steele

Just flashed 2.1 nightly from today (05 january) https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/b2g/nightly/latest-mozilla-b2g34_v2_1-flame-kk/

> SUCCESS, BOOTING OK! :)

*** BE SURE TO FLASH KonstaT's updated kernel - see page 5 - BEFORE ***

(backup your current system while you are at it)

then shallow flash gaia & gecko

Still, I have the "tiny fontsize" problem I encountered before. Need to get this bug sorted out!! (no, flashing the font fix does not help)

Update :

Flashing 2.2 nightly 05 january :  NO BOOT! (not even adb access).

Edited by G.Steele

• 2 weeks later...
Still, I have the "tiny fontsize" problem I encountered before. Need to get this bug sorted out!! (no, flashing the font fix does not help)

Did you ever find a fix for the fonts?

Let me thank first to KonstaT for this rom which I finally got a chance to  flash on my Open C.

I have 2 problems:

1. the screen froze twice in 3 days upon hitting the unlock button, the screen lights up but it doesn't react to touches to unlock the phone, I must restart it.

2. while listening to music, if I receive a call and attempt to answer it, first I hear some distorted noises and next the call is killed. I tried with stock headphones and some other. This is really bothering since I listen to a lot of music.

Guest G.Steele

My device also randomly freezes from time to time (not too frequently hopefully) : screen stays black, power button has no effect. The only way is to unplug/plug the battery and reboot.

Meanwhile I've built gecko/gaia on JB base and running that. The audio problem disappeared (seems to have been a KK issue?) and after 2 days no freezing yet. I'm also discovering what a s*** phone this actually is, no proximity or compass sensors not to mention the camera. Otherwise it's fine :)

Guest G.Steele

@ Konstat :

I would like to get back to Jelly Bean FxOS build (the mozfr community guys need testers for their gecko/gaia builds on the EU model)

Which way do you recommend? Flashing back the "official" (comebuy) rooted image via the windows tool? No risk of bricking?

Thanks again

Guest KonstaT

@ Konstat :

I would like to get back to Jelly Bean FxOS build (the mozfr community guys need testers for their gecko/gaia builds on the EU model)

Which way do you recommend? Flashing back the "official" (comebuy) rooted image via the windows tool? No risk of bricking?

Thanks again

Fastboot boot stock recovery (to keep custom recovery just in case). Flash EU_Android+to+FFOS.zip in stock recovery you booted (recovery.img from that same zip should work). Fastboot flash boot.img from the flashtool eng firmware to have rooted adb access on stock Firefox OS.

That should be the easiest and safest way to do it (that's at least how I would do it ;)). No need to use windows flasher (you can if you want to, though). Windows tool operates on a much 'lower lever' and there's always a bigger chance of something going wrong than flashing packages in recovery.

Guest G.Steele

Fastboot boot stock recovery (to keep custom recovery just in case). Flash EU_Android+to+FFOS.zip in stock recovery you booted (recovery.img from that same zip should work). Fastboot flash boot.img from the flashtool eng firmware to have rooted adb access on stock Firefox OS.

That should be the easiest and safest way to do it (that's at least how I would do it ;)). No need to use windows flasher (you can if you want to, though). Windows tool operates on a much 'lower lever' and there's always a bigger chance of something going wrong than flashing packages in recovery.

Thanks for your reply.

So I'm trying the safe way as you explained (If I understood well!):

- extract recovery.img from EU_Android+to+FFOS.zip

- fastboot boot recovery.img

- in stock recovery, apply update from sd card, choose EU_Android+to+FFOS.zip

but update fails : signature verification failed, installation from sdcard aborted

EDIT : trying the windows flash tool (from comebuy) : the phone is not recognized ("searching...") by the tool anymore (I used it before to flash the FFOS_EU_EBAY_P821A10V1.0.0B06_LOG_DL image).

The flash tool logs says :

20:14:49,583 INFO  UI     - load ui upgrade proxy library successfully. all necessary functions were got.
20:14:49,583 INFO  UI     - ui upgrade proxy libray was loaded successfully.
20:14:49,583 INFO  UI     - the software upgrade library path is set to:C:\Program Files\EBAY\Open C Upgrade Tool\dll_su_qc_msm_8x10.dll
20:14:49,583 INFO  UP     - will start monitor device thread.
20:14:49,583 INFO  UP     - the monitor device thread started successfully.
20:14:49,583 INFO  UP     - enter the device monitor thread.
20:14:49,614 INFO  DC     - the serial port data channel is initialize successfully.
20:14:49,614 INFO  QCU.8x10 - initialize the su_qc_msm_8x10 dynamic library - ok.
20:14:49,614 INFO  SU     - the cb_update_progress address is: 00C77570
20:14:49,614 INFO  SU     - the cb_update_state address is: 00C77800
20:14:49,614 INFO  UP     - load software upgrade library and get necessary functions successfully.
20:14:49,614 INFO  UP     - load software upgrade library successfully. path: C:\Program Files\EBAY\Open C Upgrade Tool\dll_su_qc_msm_8x10.dll
20:14:49,770 ERROR DMP    - failed to read the item nv(MEID). nv oper error code:5
20:14:49,770 ERROR QCU.8x10 - failed to read the meid. so can't get the device id.
20:14:49,786 ERROR DMP    - Bad command. Send(39), Receive(13 39).
20:14:49,786 ERROR DG     - Failed to check the returned data.
20:14:49,786 ERROR DG     - Send: 39
20:14:49,786 ERROR DG     - Receive: 13 39
20:14:49,786 ERROR DMP.8x10 - Failed to execute. Diag Command(39).
20:14:49,786 ERROR QCU    - failed to read the version(0x39). so can't get the device version.
20:14:49,910 ERROR DMP    - failed to read the item nv(MEID). nv oper error code:5
20:14:49,910 ERROR QCU.8x10 - failed to read the meid. so can't get the device id.
20:14:49,926 ERROR DMP    - Bad command. Send(39), Receive(13 39).
20:14:49,926 ERROR DG     - Failed to check the returned data.
Edited by G.Steele

Thanks for your reply.

but update fails : signature verification failed, installation from sdcard aborted

G.Steele, you got it wrong, you don't need to extract recovery.img. Just boot in recovery(cwm provided by KonstaT) and flash EU_Android+to+FFOS.zip as you would normally do with any zip file. That would revert the phone to original 1.3. I did that several times and it works as advertised.

Guest KonstaT

Huh, signature verification error. :o Try using recovery.img from EU_FFOS+to+Android.zip next. It's really what you should use, I just tried cutting one step short. :P

Edit. Err, it doesn't even have recovery.img. Here's a stock recovery you'd normally have after flashing EU_FFOS+to+Android.zip which should be used to flash EU_Android+to+FFOS.zip.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/35834778/OpenCRecovery/GEN_EU_P821E10V1.0.0B09-recovery.img

G.Steele, you got it wrong, you don't need to extract recovery.img. Just boot in recovery(cwm provided by KonstaT) and flash EU_Android+to+FFOS.zip as you would normally do with any zip file. That would revert the phone to original 1.3. I did that several times and it works as advertised.

Always use stock recovery to install stock ROMs - custom recovery to install custom ROMs. Stock ZTE packages also contain bootloader/radio firmware that can't be backed up/restored using a custom recovery so you shouldn't use a custom recovery to flash them either. I'm not saying it won't work, it's just not the safest way to do it...

Guest G.Steele

Huh, signature verification error. :o Try using recovery.img from EU_FFOS+to+Android.zip next. It's really what you should use, I just tried cutting one step short. :P

Edit. Err, it doesn't even have recovery.img. Here's a stock recovery you'd normally have after flashing EU_FFOS+to+Android.zip which should be used to flash EU_Android+to+FFOS.zip.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/35834778/OpenCRecovery/GEN_EU_P821E10V1.0.0B09-recovery.img

Always use stock recovery to install stock ROMs - custom recovery to install custom ROMs. Stock ZTE packages also contain bootloader/radio firmware that can't be backed up/restored using a custom recovery so you shouldn't use a custom recovery to flash them either. I'm not saying it won't work, it's just not the safest way to do it...

Yes, it worked! :P

I am back right now on FxOS 1.3 (JB based) stock ZTE rom!

Just one remark concerning this Kis 3 android recovery :

when selecting the file/folder on the sdcard, the screen does not scroll down (the cursor moves down though) so we have to make sure the file/folder we want to flash appears at the top of the list. (I renamed the file EU_Android+to+FFOS.zip to 1EU_Android+to+FFOS.zip for example)

Now to the next step :

Fastboot flash boot.img from the flashtool eng firmware to have rooted adb access on stock Firefox OS.

EDIT : SUCCESS! :P

Now let's try to flash 2.1 update (for JellyBean base) from the MozFr community team

NO SUCCESS! :(

Unable to flash update.zip from the mozfr team with the stock ZTE recovery from EU_Android+to+FFOS.zip (signature verification failed)

I could either try to fully flash FFOS_EU_EBAY_P821A10V1.0.0B06_LOG_DL image via windows tool so that I get the proper stock recovery (but I will loose CWM I guess?) or try to fastboot recovery.img from FFOS_EU_EBAY_P821A10V1.0.0B06_LOG_DL then flash update, should be working?) (does not work, "ro.build.fingerprint assert failed" : really wants the full flash)

finally flashed with windows tool : SUCCESS! :P
Edited by G.Steele

Guest KonstaT

Unable to flash update.zip from the mozfr team with the stock ZTE recovery from EU_Android+to+FFOS.zip (signature verification failed)

I could either try to fully flash FFOS_EU_EBAY_P821A10V1.0.0B06_LOG_DL image via windows tool so that I get the proper stock recovery (but I will loose CWM I guess?) or try to fastboot recovery.img from FFOS_EU_EBAY_P821A10V1.0.0B06_LOG_DL then flash update, should be working?) (does not work, "ro.build.fingerprint assert failed" : really wants the full flash)
You'd need to use recovery.img from the eng firmware if you want to flash packages that are signed with test keys (regular stock recovery checks for ZTE proprietary keys).

It seems that mozfr has put some (unneeded) assert checks in place. You could remove that from updater-script inside the zip.
assert(file_getprop("/system/build.prop", "ro.build.fingerprint") == "ZTE/ZTE_OPENC/ZTE_P821A10:4.3/JLS36C/eng..20140505.045022:eng/test-keys");
Otherwise you're just going to need to use the Windows flasher. IMO it's just practice to force people to use it when it's really not necessary.

Guest G.Steele

Yes, I just did the full flash with windows tool. Everything went fine.

Flashing EU_Android+to+FFOS.zip first with your stock recovery was necessary as a first step.

So now I'm running 2.1, let's see & hunt some bugs! :D

Thanks for your invaluable help.

I'll keep an eye on this topic ;)

Guest KonstaT

Because ZTE does not provide the source code for their rooted image? :(

Yes, they haven't released source code for any Firefox OS (Jelly Bean 4.3) based kernel. We only have the Android KitKat kernel source. I'd wish Mozilla would show some muscles and pressure ZTE to comply to their legal obligations. It's also their reputation/name on the line here (Open C being one of the very few Firefox OS devices out there).

KonstaT, see this bug link, you can add functionality to your rom. You can get led notification for missed calls/sms and home button led light when unlocking the phone. They work on 2.1 JB, should work with your rom too.

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to build/install gecko and gaia as per Mozilla instructions using this rom (KK) as base and finally got v2.1 with proper fonts; the trick was to apply the patch referenced here. Thanks KonstaT.