How to root your Hudl 2

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest biker955

Anybody having charging issues with the NEW rom?

Mine used to charge fine, then I got the update. Installed then installed the new rooted version.

Now I am getting no charge issues. It used be be fine screen off and 100% charge, now it drops even thought the screen is off and it is plugged in.  Red light is on but even after 24hrs charging battery was at 4%.

Same charger & cable as before.

Guest crusader58

Anybody having charging issues with the NEW rom?

Mine used to charge fine, then I got the update. Installed then installed the new rooted version.

Now I am getting no charge issues. It used be be fine screen off and 100% charge, now it drops even thought the screen is off and it is plugged in. Red light is on but even after 24hrs charging battery was at 4%.

Sale charger & cable as before.

yep I've been getting the same issues since rooting with Paul's latest image. also started to get the clock out of sync issues. prior to rooting I had no issues...I've been asking how I go about returning to stock.

EDIT:

I've found that if I reboot using the APM XPOSED MODULE the issues start happening, but if I do a cold restart, then I get no issues.

Edited by crusader58

Guest crusader58

Which apps do I need to freeze to prevent hudl2 updates after rooting?

Titanium (paid for version)

No, I meant what are the names of the hudl2 apps that I need to freeze to prevent it updating.

No, I meant what are the names of the hudl2 apps that I need to freeze to prevent it updating.

I'm sure if you do a 'search' of this thread it's already been mentioned by Paul or someone else previously. Suggest you search on 'ota' and 'disable'. :ninja:

Edited by Guest

Guest biker955

I don't have Xposed installed on the Hudl. But I did find disabling wifi made it charge using the supplied charger. (Or powering off completly)

But will need to see if a fix in coming for the new bug.

Guest crusader58

I don't have Xposed installed on the Hudl. But I did find disabling wifi made it charge using the supplied charger. (Or powering off completly)

But will need to see if a fix in coming for the new bug.

if you have 'Location' enabled you'll find that can be a battery hog, I find that with 'Location' disabled I can keep WiFi on without any problems. Also some apps that you install can be battery hogs as they continue to run in the background (doing their ET thing...phoning home).

I have systematically frozen each user app that I've installed and then uninstalled apps that are power culprits, in this way I've slowly fine tuned my hudl2 customization.

Edited by crusader58

Trying to flash system img with linux:
fastboot -i 0x1d4d flash system system.hudl2.rooted.20150106.154003.ONLY.r1.img 
< waiting for device >

While in device bootloader shows nothing. I read through post and there shoulde be status message - Receiving data... but for me it shows only those error messages and thats all.

Any idea?

Guest seanspotatobusiness

Trying to flash system img with linux:
fastboot -i 0x1d4d flash system system.hudl2.rooted.20150106.154003.ONLY.r1.img 
< waiting for device >

While in device bootloader shows nothing. I read through post and there shoulde be status message - Receiving data... but for me it shows only those error messages and thats all.

Any idea?

I had this issue with my desktop and ended up doing it successfully from my laptop.

Have you tried installing the drivers and program detailed in this post: http://www.modaco.com/topic/373642-how-to-root-your-hudl-2/?p=2248329

Guest neil9162

Hi I have successful rooted my hudl 2 but now my screen isn't very responsive would it help removing the root and if it is how do I go about it. Please help with pointing me I the right direction. Also I am using windows 7

Edited by neil9162

"Hi I have successful rooted my hudl 2 but now my screen isn't very responsive"

To be honest I can't see how rooting your hudl2 has made your screen less responsive - all you're doing in the process is re-flashing a pre-rooted system partition. If you've moved up from a previous build level/date then yes maybe some of the 'standard' Tesco supplied system/firmware updates may have affected your experience on your unit. As some other users have described a less responsive screen after various OTA Tesco updates.

Also, worth looking at, if you use the standard Tesco 'My Tesco' launcher, try downloading and testing an alternative launcher from the Play store as their are known issues / slowness with the standard launcher.

The guaranteed way of unrooting a hudl2 would be to re-flash the correct build level/date non-rooted system partition back to your hudl2. Paul should have these, but for whatever reason hasn't (so far) made them readily available for people to use / have as backups ........

:ninja:  

Edited by Guest

@urbis

You need to enable MTP transfer on your linux machine by adding a line to the udev.rules. Search for MTP android and your distrubution on Google.

samac

OK so I was a bit too quick to answer, I can now connect via MTP or PTP, however the first command reboots the hudle then fails to find the computer.

Edited by samac

Just to confirm that with Linux and the latest image, adb gets to droid boot, however as it does it unmounts the Hudl2 from the desktop. when droidboot has started it doesn't detect the desktop and no devices are shown when running the command "fastboot devices". This behaviour is the same using both native and the download version of the adb and fastboot tools and also if the hudl2 is in PTP or MTP modes. Also trying it in USB2 or USB3 ports makes no difference.

The Hudl2 is correctly set up in UDEV on the desktop so I am assuming that droidboot is not communicating via the USB cable. Could it be that usb-networking is not set up automatically in Linux Mint 17.1?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Guest afzalmohammed1133

Ive been getting this same problem for a long time its says...

writing 'system'.......

FAILED <remote: flash_cmds error!>

If you guys have any suggestions it would be welcome.