How to root your Hudl 2

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest hudl2helpthanks

Have you disabled driver signing?

On the windows 7 machine ,yes.

Here's what it looks like when I can select a driver - it's for the adb device (which works using the intel adb driver) - but it's the same list when I connect in fastboot. The windows 7 machine also has another entry for the pdanet driver (this is the windows 8 one which doesn't have pdanet installed).

post-1060062-0-17872700-1432488611_thumb

Edited by hudl2helpthanks

Guest Danny Legend

Hi guys, I appreciate the guide to rooting the hudl 2. However my version number is newer than the updated image in the first post.

I currently have 20150319.222108.

Is it possible to roll back to a previous/earlier build so I can continue with this guide to root my hudl 2 & if so how?

If someone could just give me a nudge or point in the right direction I'd really appreciate it.

Also I'd be using win7 to accomplish this and not sure of which drivers I'd need or how to even find out.

Regards

Guest hudl2helpthanks

Hi guys, I appreciate the guide to rooting the hudl 2. However my version number is newer than the updated image in the first post.

I currently have 20150319.222108.

Is it possible to roll back to a previous/earlier build so I can continue with this guide to root my hudl 2 & if so how?

If someone could just give me a nudge or point in the right direction I'd really appreciate it.

Also I'd be using win7 to accomplish this and not sure of which drivers I'd need or how to even find out.

Regards

You can't roll back, but you can still root. Post 559 has easy to follow steps *if* the drivers work.

Guest bow9487

****First of all, I am in no way responsible for you device bricking or marriage falling apart ****
*******or crazy monkeys with top hates ruining your life due to this guide of any files in it.******

Ok now thats out of the way :-)

I have created another System Root img to follow on from Paul's work for anyone who prefers that method. I have also created another how to that is a bit more Noob friendly as it was asked for in another thread.

Things you will need:
1. ADB drivers installed (pdaNet+ works well) Click Here
2. Paul's ADB & Fastboot tool (Post 1 of "How to root your Hudl 2) Click Here
3. The /System.img (Android-build.20150319.222108-System-image) Click Here

Step one:

Install all drivers and ADB Drivers (pdaNet+ will do this for you)

Step two:

Extract the ADB & Fastboot tool zip  to the Computers desktop and place the system.img in that folder

Step Three:

Open the extracted folder "adbfastboothudl" hold "SHIFT" on your keyboard and right 
click on some empty space in the folder, Then click "Open Command Window Here"

Step four:

Enable "USB Debugging" (In developer options)

Step five:

Connect your Hudl 2 in to your computer with the Hudl 2 USB cable that came with your tablet.
WAIT a few seconds for your computer to recognise the Hudl and install the drivers (the tablet may pop up
with an authorisation request, click yes)

Step six:

Back in the command window type "ADB-Windows Devices" without quotes (the tablet may pop up

At this point your device ID should come up like this

List of devices attached
123232423PE387263 device

If you see this then you are ready to flash the Root /System.img

Step seven:

Type in the comand window

"adb-windows reboot bootloader" without quotes and hit ENTER

Then wait untill the Hudl enters Bootloader, Then type

"Fastboot-windows -i 0x1d4d flash system system.img"  without quotes and hit ENTER

Once you have hit that second ENTER for the love of god do not stop it. It can take a while so let it do its thing. 
It can take a while, Don't clock watch go make a cuppa.

Hope it helps guys. I know its a lot of steps but i have tried to make it as Noob friendly as possible.

Guest r00tmydevices

@bow9487

Just to check the above method/instructions works for hudl 2 devices that have the latest OTA update installed?

Rooted mine around third week of January, haven't used it much due to having atrocious battery issues (really need to sort out getting it exchanged/repaired!) but the last time it was on I did get the OTA update screen appear but switched it off before installing them.

Thanks a bunch for posting the instructions.

Edited by r00tmydevices

Guest peterfelgate

I had a previously rooted Hudl 2 using an earlier ROM version, but foolishly allowed an OTA upgrade and so lost root access.  I now have the 20150319.222108 image loaded and have been hoping for root access....

However, the fastboot-windows command always fails to load the system.img file I downloaded from the link posted.  Has anyone else had issues with this image?

Guest peterfelgate

I had a previously rooted Hudl 2 using an earlier ROM version, but foolishly allowed an OTA upgrade and so lost root access.  I now have the 20150319.222108 image loaded and have been hoping for root access....

However, the fastboot-windows command always fails to load the system.img file I downloaded from the link posted.  Has anyone else had issues with this image?

I tried "fastboot-windows oem unlock" but that just reported "waiting for device"

Anyone any guidance for me?

Guest Robin Wheeler

I am not sure but I wonder if the last update has disabled fastboot?

I tried both windows and Linux and while adb works fastboot dose not

Guest peterfelgate

I just used a separate Windows machine which I know has never had ADB or Fastboot loded previously, installed all the software, and I still get the same result - ADB accesses the device OK, I can enter "fastboot reboot bootloader" and I get "droidboot" running, but neither "fastboot" commands work.  However, the poster above who created the system.img file clearly believed he had it working, so I wonder if there's still something I am doing wrong!

"droidboot" briefly flashes something like CMD(getvar:partition-type:system)..... before going back to the RESULT:OKAY message at the bottom of the screen when trying to load the image.

Edited by peterfelgate

Guest Robin Wheeler

Any one got the March update file and could they let me have it?

I want to see if I can make a flashable system inf file.

many thanks

Guest brackehill_mob

I thought the same thing until I realised I needed to add

-i 0x1d4d

to the end of the fastboot command. If you are paranoid like me, you probably did

fastboot devices

to check the connection before flashing. This fails but

fastboot -i 0x1d4d devices

works

Wish I'd realised this months ago as it would have stopped me from tearing my hair out over several days with Windoze drivers as I'm a Linux user!

HTH

Guest robin0800

I thought the same thing until I realised I needed to add

-i 0x1d4d

to the end of the fastboot command. If you are paranoid like me, you probably did

fastboot devices

to check the connection before flashing. This fails but

fastboot -i 0x1d4d devices

works

Wish I'd realised this months ago as it would have stopped me from tearing my hair out over several days with Windoze drivers as I'm a Linux user!

HTH

Good find yes that does work though can still not flash the system.img file which appears to be too big and faulty I can't extract it though I can Paul's, hence my post #587 above.

Guest pryddie

****First of all, I am in no way responsible for you device bricking or marriage falling apart ****

*******or crazy monkeys with top hates ruining your life due to this guide of any files in it.******

Ok now thats out of the way :-)

I have created another System Root img to follow on from Paul's work for anyone who prefers that method. I have also created another how to that is a bit more Noob friendly as it was asked for in another thread.

Things you will need:

1. ADB drivers installed (pdaNet+ works well) Click Here

2. Paul's ADB & Fastboot tool (Post 1 of "How to root your Hudl 2) Click Here

3. The /System.img (Android-build.20150319.222108-System-image) Click Here

Step one:

Install all drivers and ADB Drivers (pdaNet+ will do this for you)

Step two:

Extract the ADB & Fastboot tool zip  to the Computers desktop and place the system.img in that folder

Step Three:

Open the extracted folder "adbfastboothudl" hold "SHIFT" on your keyboard and right 

click on some empty space in the folder, Then click "Open Command Window Here"

Step four:

Enable "USB Debugging" (In developer options)

Step five:

Connect your Hudl 2 in to your computer with the Hudl 2 USB cable that came with your tablet.

WAIT a few seconds for your computer to recognise the Hudl and install the drivers (the tablet may pop up

Step six:

Back in the command window type "ADB-Windows Devices" without quotes (the tablet may pop up

At this point your device ID should come up like this

List of devices attached

123232423PE387263 device

If you see this then you are ready to flash the Root /System.img

Step seven:

Type in the comand window

"adb-windows reboot bootloader" without quotes and hit ENTER

Then wait untill the Hudl enters Bootloader, Then type

"Fastboot-windows -i 0x1d4d flash system system.img"  without quotes and hit ENTER

Once you have hit that second ENTER for the love of god do not stop it. It can take a while so let it do its thing. 

It can take a while, Don't clock watch go make a cuppa.

Hope it helps guys. I know its a lot of steps but i have tried to make it as Noob friendly as possible.

Hi All

Followed the above guide however at point 6 i dont see a list of devices attached.

Any ideas please

Thanks

Guest pryddie

Made a quick new user friendly guide on how to root using the latest firmware:

OK here is how to root the HUDL running the latest firmware:

Copy the su update zip (named “UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46” in the extracted folder from step 1) to your Hudl 2’s internal memory or preferably, its microSD card. Remember where you put it!

Ensure drivers for adb are installed. Run them from the “adbfastboothudl” folder in the zip folder from step 1.

Enable USB debugging from developer settings on the hudl. . 

If you don't know how to turn on USB Debugging, here is how: 

Start the root process by clicking double clicking “launcher” in the “IntelAndroid-FBRL-01-17-2015” folder and watch your HUDL screen. It may show a pop up asking to accept your PC’s “fingerprint” or something like that and show a long number of random characters. Click accept. 

On the next window type “T3” without quotes when asked for options.

The Hudl should reboot to the new recovery which is CWM recovery. The screen should be grey and show a Hat symbol. 

Navigate to “install from SD Card” using the volume keys and the power button is enter. Then to install zip from SD card and chose the “UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46” zip you copied earlier.

Click enter and wait.

It should reboot your hudl back to normal and it will be rooted.

*OBLIGATORY* I am not responsible for a bricked HUDL or any damage done to it. I dont know if this voids the warranty also but it shouldn't. If you follow the guide it will be easy and hard to break your hudl.

Hi All

Tried the above and after the following:

Navigate to “install from SD Card” using the volume keys and the power button is enter. Then to install zip from SD card and chose the “UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46” zip you copied earlier.

Click enter and wait.
I find the Hudl2 doesnt reboot and I have to go back and hit the reboot now option.
then my hudl satrts up again but it doesnt seem to be rooted to me , or am i missing something here
Sorry about all the questions :)

Guest robin0800

Hi All

Followed the above guide however at point 6 i dont see a list of devices attached.

Any ideas please

Thanks

I still can't get this to work can you actually load your sytem image on a hudl? If so perhaps more detailed instruction are required.

Guest pryddie

I still can't get this to work can you actually load your sytem image on a hudl? If so perhaps more detailed instruction are required.

I have tried Bow9487 and EananC instructions and none of them have worked for me, Thats not saying they dont work as probably Im doing something wrong

Guest pryddie

Yes mate i dl and installed the file

When running T3 i do get this message at the very bottom :

bootloader partition failed

status read failed (too many links

Guest hudl2helpthanks

So, i finally managed to get root thanks to the previosu poster who mentioned that adding -i 0x1d4d to fastboot commadns worked. I basically copied the relevant commands from the launcher.bat and added the above. Is there a stock image floating around just in case something goes wrong in the future , or should i just be extra careful?

Guest pryddie

So, i finally managed to get root thanks to the previosu poster who mentioned that adding -i 0x1d4d to fastboot commadns worked. I basically copied the relevant commands from the launcher.bat and added the above. Is there a stock image floating around just in case something goes wrong in the future , or should i just be extra careful?

Hi Mate

Can you run through what you did then please as I havnet succeeded yet :(

Guest hudl2helpthanks

Hi Mate

Can you run through what you did then please as I havnet succeeded yet :(

I ran the commands which the T3 option runs in the FBRL launcher and added -i 0x1d4d .

I've just checked and the launcher.bat in EananC's file seems to have the relevant changes already - no idea if he or whoever changed the launcher.bat added in anything else. I prefer to do everything myself so I downloaded the relevant files myself which is why I was getting errors despite having the correct drivers. So, if you trust the files from EananC (no reason not to,but the opposite can also be said) use his/her guide and you should be dandy.

EDIT: here's an example:

"%PLATFORM_TOOLS%fastboot" flash /tmp/recovery.zip %RECOVERY%

should be:

"%PLATFORM_TOOLS%fastboot" -i 0x1d4d flash /tmp/recovery.zip %RECOVERY%

but note, you won't be able to run the above commands as they are in windows and you shouldn't if you don't know what you're doing. The actual line i put in for the above line would've been

fastboot -i 0x1d4d flash /tmp/recovery.zip (wherever my recovery.zip was)

Guest pryddie

I ran the commands which the T3 option runs in the FBRL launcher and added -i 0x1d4d .

I've just checked and the launcher.bat in EananC's file seems to have the relevant changes already - no idea if he or whoever changed the launcher.bat added in anything else. I prefer to do everything myself so I downloaded the relevant files myself which is why I was getting errors despite having the correct drivers. So, if you trust the files from EananC (no reason not to,but the opposite can also be said) use his/her guide and you should be dandy.

EDIT: here's an example:

"%PLATFORM_TOOLS%fastboot" flash /tmp/recovery.zip %RECOVERY%

should be:

"%PLATFORM_TOOLS%fastboot" -i 0x1d4d flash /tmp/recovery.zip %RECOVERY%

but note, you won't be able to run the above commands as they are in windows and you shouldn't if you don't know what you're doing. The actual line i put in for the above line would've been

fastboot -i 0x1d4d flash /tmp/recovery.zip (wherever my recovery.zip was)

Thanks mate

I have no idea about this so may have to leave it, been on it all day lol