How to root your Hudl 2

Guest PaulOBrien

Hello all!

Great forum here and some really good info. Recently bought a Hudl2 and I have followed the instructions on how to root. I have not had any problems really except when I try to load from the SD I get this...

Can anyone help me out please?

AG-1-12.jpg

As robin0800 has already commented on your other post, you're using the stock inbuilt recovery there and you'd have a much better chance of the root working via the tethered CWM or TWRP recoveries as per the tethered recovery instructions as re-posted with concise instructions here by EanaC and originally posted here by Paul (which leads to here by vampirefo). 

Guest agoodwin

So... this is the first device I have rooted (well attempted too) ... and it isn't going very well. When I run the CMD (as admin or not) and type in the command. I get "error: device not found" (see image inserted) I tried it a lot and it still didn't work. So I did some searching and I found this Universal ADB Driver installer. Which I installed. And I still get the same message. I'm not sure what's up. Can anyone help me? it'd be greatly appreciated.

pic1.png

Guest agoodwin

Okay, so i found out the problem. Windows 10 wouldn't let me install the correct drivers. So i moved to my old Windows 7 PC and it worked a treat... However now it keeps saying "Unfortunately, My Tesco has stopped." and whenever i click "OK" it just keeps popping up. Have I bricked it?

Guest brackehill_mob

@agoodwin

No you haven't!

If you haven't done so already, let the Play Store update everything and see what happens. If you've already done this, go to Settings and select apps, then choose the All tab. Find My Tesco and either click on the Uninstall updates button and go the Play Store route again or, if you don't need/want the app, click on the disable button (disabling won't prevent any future ROM updates from being installed whereas removal does)

Just for reference I'm using a recently upgraded laptop which now runs Windows 10 Pro - as long as you get the right driver pack it works.

I listed some drivers  in my backing up  the system partition thread.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest iBrummie

Before I take the 'Sledge Hammer' to this lump of TAT...!! Any idea on a) how to get a stock rom as I'm having issues installing the update.zip due to an error 1, or b) anyone have a rom to install lollipop?

Before I take the 'Sledge Hammer' to this lump of TAT...!! Any idea on a) how to get a stock rom as I'm having issues installing the update.zip due to an error 1, or b) anyone have a rom to install lollipop?

If you give more information on the error it may well be easier to fix as to the best of my knowledge no one has a viable flash able version of any 'full' hudl 2 build (in that I mean an entire image - not just a new system.img). 

As a starter for 10, if you'd previously rooted your hudl 2 and removed / reconfigured any system files you'd be better off reversing these changes before ever applying an OTA update - otherwise you'd more than likely fail that OTA update's system integrity checks prior to it's installation. This can be achieved by reloading one of Paul's previous build rooted images - it would/should restore your 'personally configured' rooted hudl 2 to a more standard rooted hudl 2 with zero OTA update system integrity configuration issues.....

• 2 weeks later...
Guest hudl2helpthanks

I'm having issues updating, I was on the latest 4.4 update but was getting patch assert failure on a .odex file... So I reverted back to the first rooted zip by Paul but now I'm getting the patch assert failure on boot.img ... Which is weird since I didn't touch it...

Edited by hudl2helpthanks

Guest hudl2helpthanks

I'm having issues updating, I was on the latest 4.4 update but was getting patch assert failure on a .odex file... So I reverted back to the first rooted zip by Paul but now I'm getting the patch assert failure on boot.img ... Which is weird since I didn't touch it...

Can somebody upload their 4.4 boot.img?

Can somebody upload their 4.4 boot.img?

I have both Lollipop OTA files (the smaller prep and the larger image flash file) as I re-rooted after the prep OTA to ensure I could capture the larger file.

hudl2_ota_rel.android-build.20150529.110309_to_rel.android-build.20150803.092218.zip     size: 4,129KB

hudl2_ota_rel.android-build.20150803.092218_to_rel.android-build.20150917.142239.zip     size: 1,055,238KB

Due to some problems I've had in the past (over allowed bandwidth usage restrictions with different online storage accounts) I'll ask Paul if he's willing to host the file on a MoDaCo server and I'll upload to that if allowed.

Both OTA files are currently being uploaded by me and will be mirrored by Paul, links will be posted once the process is complete.

UPDATE:

Both files are now available via MoDaCo mirrors as below: -

hudl2_ota_rel.android-build.20150529.110309_to_rel.android-build.20150803.092218.zip     size: 4,129KB
MD5: b28c8e29ec95b3e0f84f6469038e823d

hudl2_ota_rel.android-build.20150803.092218_to_rel.android-build.20150917.142239.zip     size: 1,055,238KB
MD5: 5f3e8e6750c191ade9a2951c3b987eeb

As user dmw2010 has advised in another thread - please don't try and install these via tethered recovery.

My reason for providing the above files is that a customised (pre-rooted) new Lollipop system image would be in close grasp to those with time on their hands, if you know what I mean....

Enjoy. 

Edited by Guest

Guest RagingPolishMan

Well, after some fiddling I've managed to find a way around the forced update for a first time install.

1. First off, wipe the device from recovery.
  2. Boot up and select 'Add Network' from the wifi selection screen.
  3. Hold down the microphone key on the google keyboard and select the settings icon and select the settings icon.  This will show 'Input Options'.
  4. Select 'Google Keyboard Settings'
  5. Select 'About Google Keyboard'
  6. Select 'Open-source licences'
  7. Highlight some text with a long press then select 'WEB SEARCH' from the top right
  8. This will take you to the Google Now search page and show a not connected error.
  9. Type 'Settings' into the search box and select the settings page from the drop down.

From here you can enable developer mode, enable adb and fix any stupid changes to the system partition that you might have made (whoops :P )

There's probably a shorter route than this but I'm just pretty happy to have the chance to repair the damage :D

When I try to use this 'hack';by long pressing the microphone I get nothing, nothing at all. Just tapping on it says "Can't connect to Google at the moment" does this method no longer work, or am I doing something wrong?

Guest Sparkey159

That happened to me too, I got out of the initial setup by signing into my google account and using the google terms and conditions page to get to chrome. (Like in step 7 but it'll take you to chrome instead of Google Now)  The steps for getting to settings this way are complicated and I don't really remember the details. Just mess around with it once you get to google chrome and you should be able to make your way to the settings page.

Sorry that I can't provide step by step instructions on how to do it though.

Edited by Sparkey159
Edited to make my reply more easy to understand.

Guest RagingPolishMan

That happened to me too, I got out of the initial setup by signing into my google account and using the google terms and conditions page to get to chrome. (Like in step 7 but it'll take you to chrome instead of Google Now)  The steps for getting to settings this way are complicated and I don't really remember the details. Just mess around with it once you get to google chrome and you should be able to make your way to the settings page.

Sorry that I can't provide step by step instructions on how to do it though.

When I click on any of the link it opens it in some sort of other borwser type thing. Chrome does not open; and long-pressing doesn't do anything...

I have managed to get to some settings but I cannot go back or anything. I am just stuck on location settings. I will try doing more with this later and will update the status of tyhe tablet here.

Guest RagingPolishMan

Both OTA files are currently being uploaded by me and will be mirrored by Paul, links will be posted once the process is complete.

UPDATE:

Both files are now available via MoDaCo mirrors as below: -

hudl2_ota_rel.android-build.20150529.110309_to_rel.android-build.20150803.092218.zip     size: 4,129KB
MD5: b28c8e29ec95b3e0f84f6469038e823d

hudl2_ota_rel.android-build.20150803.092218_to_rel.android-build.20150917.142239.zip     size: 1,055,238KB
MD5: 5f3e8e6750c191ade9a2951c3b987eeb

As user dmw2010 has advised in another thread - please don't try and install these via tethered recovery.

My reason for providing the above files is that a customised (pre-rooted) new Lollipop system image would be in close grasp to those with time on their hands, if you know what I mean....

Enjoy. 

My current build is the 20150529.110309 shall I flash the first link or the second link? I am stuck in the update loop thing :/

Oh and do I need to root in order to flash either of these/for the OTA update to work etc? And will I need to factory data reset?

Edited by RagingPolishMan
Missed out a question.

Guest aaronmaher47

Well, after some fiddling I've managed to find a way around the forced update for a first time install.

1. First off, wipe the device from recovery.
  2. Boot up and select 'Add Network' from the wifi selection screen.
  3. Hold down the microphone key on the google keyboard and select the settings icon and select the settings icon.  This will show 'Input Options'.
  4. Select 'Google Keyboard Settings'
  5. Select 'About Google Keyboard'
  6. Select 'Open-source licences'
  7. Highlight some text with a long press then select 'WEB SEARCH' from the top right
  8. This will take you to the Google Now search page and show a not connected error.
  9. Type 'Settings' into the search box and select the settings page from the drop down.

From here you can enable developer mode, enable adb and fix any stupid changes to the system partition that you might have made (whoops :P )

There's probably a shorter route than this but I'm just pretty happy to have the chance to repair the damage :D

I'd just like to say a massive thank you for finding this neat hack.

I stupidly did a full reset and when I rebooted was forced to update, but it would always fail because i'd removed a ton of bloatware and i was stuck in a never ending loop. this trick has got me out of the update and allowed me to flash a full stock image.

Great find, well done! 

EDIT: I may have spoke too soon, once the stock image has flashed I ended up back at the set up screen, once I put wifi details in im back to square one, it wants me to download the update and when I do it fails with status 1 in recovery, not too sure what to do next. 

Edited by aaronmaher47

I'd just like to say a massive thank you for finding this neat hack.

I stupidly did a full reset and when I rebooted was forced to update, but it would always fail because i'd removed a ton of bloatware and i was stuck in a never ending loop. this trick has got me out of the update and allowed me to flash a full stock image.

Great find, well done! 

EDIT: I may have spoke too soon, once the stock image has flashed I ended up back at the set up screen, once I put wifi details in im back to square one, it wants me to download the update and when I do it fails with status 1 in recovery, not too sure what to do next. 

Please have a look at this thread - it may help you.

Guest Funkstar De Luxe

I'm having the exact same issue. Did you solve it? If so can you tell me how? Or can any one show me how to remove the CRC check from an update file? Thanks

I'm also having this issue I regards to boot.img does anyone have a kernel for 154003 firmware? 

Thank you 

Ok I have booted in to CWM recovery and backed up. I hope someone can help me.

I have the update.zip the first one which is failing. I have some questions if someone can answer them as if I can get this working it may help others :)

The part it is failing on is..

ui_print("Verifying boot image...
");
extract_image("/tmp/boot.img", "boot");
assert(apply_patch_check("/tmp/boot.img", "e5370d886d0771f8255e04e1be7617c2a7883f9c", "930386d66ff28e964428e67d56b5def0d89c665e"));
assert(apply_patch_space(9320448));
set_progress(0.976613);

Does anyone know if it is possible to remove the patch check? I also thought of changing the hash here to the one of my backed up boot.img but does anyone know what hash is used? I think it is SHA1 but just need to know. if it is SHA1 what is the second hash?

Thank you

EDIT

Ok I seem to have stopped the check I will upload the files tomorrow when I know that all is ok

Edited by Jinx13

I'm having the exact same issue. Did you solve it? If so can you tell me how? Or can any one show me how to remove the CRC check from an update file? Thanks

Do you still need help?