How to root your Hudl 2

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Rich.T.

Anyone managed to get Fastboot to work with 64 Bit verison of Windows 8.1?  ADB works fine, just can't seem to get Fastboot to work.  I've tried a variety of different drivers, registry hacks to no avail.  Ta.

Sorry: Missed this one.

Are you able to boot into Win8?

Sorry: Missed this one.

Are you able to boot into Win8?

Think you may have misunderstood. I don't have win8 on the hudl2, I have the default rom and am trying to get it to work with fastboot from my laptop which is running win8.1 64 bit.

Guest sassigeek

Just as a follow up to my initial post in this thread, I managed to get my Hudl 2 rooted following the guide it was really simple once I overcame the driver problems. I downgraded my computer to Windows 7 from Windows 8.1 and it worked like a charm. 

Now installing xPosed Framework which I feel is the next best thing to a custom rom, I mean you can do literally everything using xPosed which to me greatly reduces the need to have custom rom abilities. That being said it would still be awesome if we did get in a position whereby we could run a custom rom on our devices. 

Thanks Modaco your help has been amazing, without you my Hudl 2 would not be as awesome as it is now. 

Guest brackehill_mob

I'm tearing my hear out over this - not much left too!!

I'm a Linux user but I have the exact same problem on Windows XP and Vista, and I've tried this on 2 PCs and 3 Hudl2's (yes 3 - Christmas presents for the family!!)

I can control the Hudl2 using ADB (i.e. adb devices and adb reboot bootloader work) but the moment I try any fastboot command (i.e. fastboot devices) the Hudl2 isn't seen by the PC.

It isn't a driver issue (the beauty of Linux) and I've checked this by issuing the devices option to both adb and fastboot on a non-rooted Moto G phone which gives the expect response.

I've tried different cables and USP ports.

Any suggestions? I've run out of ideas!

TIA

Guest sassigeek

I'm tearing my hear out over this - not much left too!!

I'm a Linux user but I have the exact same problem on Windows XP and Vista, and I've tried this on 2 PCs and 3 Hudl2's (yes 3 - Christmas presents for the family!!)

I can control the Hudl2 using ADB (i.e. adb devices and adb reboot bootloader work) but the moment I try any fastboot command (i.e. fastboot devices) the Hudl2 isn't seen by the PC.

It isn't a driver issue (the beauty of Linux) and I've checked this by issuing the devices option to both adb and fastboot on a non-rooted Moto G phone which gives the expect response.

I've tried different cables and USP ports.

Any suggestions? I've run out of ideas!

TIA

The way I did it in the end was to reinstall windows to make sure I got rid of any conflicting drivers that I had installed and also used windows 7 and with this I finally got it to work but yeah I had days of pulling my hair out too before this.

Guest brackehill_mob

What happens when unsend the fastboot command?

Nothing!

adb devices gives me the serial number

fastboot devices returns a blank line immediately

I've been using custom roms on phones and tablets for almost 10 years since the XDA ii and this is the first time I've ever seen this :(

Nothing!

adb devices gives me the serial number

fastboot devices returns a blank line immediately

I've been using custom roms on phones and tablets for almost 10 years since the XDA ii and this is the first time I've ever seen this :(

I've got pretty much the same thing with windows 8.1 . adb works, fastboot doesn't but works fine with my other devices. Tried numerous drivers and registry hacks to no avail.

You could always try the Linux Boot disk method with a Live distro. Others used that method previously with hudl1.

Windows 8+ users who are having problems, I would suggest you remove all current and previous android tablet/phone drivers from your system and start again with your hudl2 connection/drivers. Windows 8+ appears to easily get 'stuck' with what it thinks are 'compatible' drivers that are already installed on the system.

It's just a suggestion that I know has worked for others.

Edited by Guest

Guest Flipper_Al

Hi All, right followed the instructions to the letter, but now my Hudl2 is stuck at the hudl screen with the * flashing, have i bricked it.. lol :) 

Guest brackehill_mob

You could always try the Linux Boot disk method with a Live distro. Others used that method previously with hudl1.

Tried it with Partition Magic. No difference to my 3 Linux boxes :( Might try Knoppix next.

I'm wondering now if it is a udev issue. If I pull the cable out, the messages on the Hudl2 get updated so there is some sort of communication going on. I'll investigate tomorrow when I'm in front of my boxes.

Guest Bisgsi01

Hi Paul,

I am facing the fastboot not recognizing the device problem. Whatever machine or OS I have used I get the same problem. Do you have a sideload image to try? Or Is it easy to make one? 
Thanks for your help.

Bis

Hi Paul,

I am facing the fastboot not recognizing the device problem. Whatever machine or OS I have used I get the same problem. Do you have a sideload image to try? Or Is it easy to make one? 

Thanks for your help.

Bis

Same as you. Couldn't get Fastboot to work under 64bit Windows 8.1 so tried latest Ubuntu and the same thing, ADB works fine, Fastboot doesn't.

Guest Flipper_Al

What did you do? What OS?

Im using a W7 machine with the ADB driver installer

I wiped all the user data, and the table booted up its still rooted running 20141009.191216

I used a Linux mint 32bit edition and setup the hudl in USB settings and worked great , of course took a while but god learning experience

Just tried linux mint 32 bit but still no joy here.  Exactly the same as for Windows and the other couple of linux distros that I've tried in that ADB works without problem and reboots the device into the bootloader but Fastboot just won't connect no matter what - tried various cables, drivers and different usb ports (USB 2 and USB 3) - the Hudl2 just sits at the bootloader with the message Fastboot CMD Waiting. Fastboot works fine with my other devices though.

On a positive note, linux mint is quite a nice linux distro!

Guest brackehill_mob

Knoppix bombs too. First time Linux has failed me! I'm convinced that the Hudl2 isn't using Fastboot mode correctly which is why udev doesn't see the tablet as it should.

Luckily I've been able to root using an old notebook running WinXP and the CM drivers.

Anyone had success with Linux?

Edited by brackehill_mob

Lmulli , try sudo fastboot command

Hello there, tried that already on all the distros I have tried with negative result - clearly I am destined not to root this thing :-)  

Guest thefunkygibbon

London is the plan...

P

Hi Paul,  out of interest when are you pencilled in to go down and see the hudl2 devs?  I think we're all anxious to know more about the seemingly crippled fastboot and if it is possible to install other x86/x64 OS' on it.