Remove Hudl start screen?

Guest jp2003

Hi all, apologies if this is on here somewhere, I've been looking but can't find anything.

I've rooted my Hudl with KingoRoot, installed Xposed and ran the mod to remove the 'T' logo. I'm also wondering if it is possible to remove the hudl* start up screen and ting noise it makes upon start up?

If so what is the easiest way to do this please?

Many thanks

JP.

to silence the boot noise, use a file browser with root access to rename /system/media/boot.ogg to something else (renaming it back to boot.ogg will re-enable it).

The start screen in android terms is referred to as a boot animation - I've not tried to change this on the hudl, though it's certainly possible on other android devices so I'd imagine it would be possible on the hudl too. It's found at /system/media/bootanimation.zip

sorry I'm kind of new to all this. I didn't understand that lol

okay, no problem. In basic terms:

• rooting a device gives you access to the root of the devices file tree - the root being the base level where all the folders and such are (like C:// on windows). Normally the device locks you out of this to prevent accidental damage
  • root access means you can also access /system as it's on the root of the device - this can be dangerous as you can break things if you're not sure what you're doing
  • /system/media is a folder called media, inside the system folder, on the root of the device
  • the file that controls the noise that plays when you turn the hudl on is boot.ogg in the /system/media folder. By renaming it the system can't find it to play it and as such you get a silent boot
  • the easiest way to do this is to download a root explorer from the play store. Personally I use ES File Explorer and mount the /system as R/W (read and write access) then edit the files I want to edit. Without the write access you can't make changes and thus can't rename the boot.ogg file

Hopefully that's all correct and makes sense! If I were you I'd recommend getting comfortable with the file system and renaming the boot.ogg file before you try and attack the boot animation

thanks, I'm just having a look at that file manager, how do I mount it to read write?

in the top left corner there should be a three lined blue button to open the side menu. Tap it to open the menu and find the tools section. Within the tools section there should be an option called "Root Explorer". Tap the "Root Explorer" text and it should bring up a popup with some toggles for RO or RW (read only or read/write). Set the ones you need to RW, then hit okay. Finally, toggle the on/off button to the right of the Root Explorer text to mount the system as editable.

Hopefully that's all correct, I don't have my hudl on me currently to check!

hmm I renamed the boot animation zip file and restarted... the hudl screen has gone but is now replaced by the android start up that lasts just as long lol

any ideas how to kill that?

specifically, the first screen says 'powered by android' which is on for like 2 or 3 seconds

then a second screen that just says android in the same logo but it flashes white throughout the letters as though its loading something.

I've not tried to edit the boot animation myself so I'm not sure if you can entirely remove it, or whether it is replacable. There should be information online about how to customise the android boot animation though

Removing the boot animation is very unlikely to speed up the boot process from my understanding of it

Edited by flurry

Guest ChrisH619

For the boot animation, IIRC, it has a sequence of frames, then it'll have a loop sequence - this just repeats until the system loads.

Its effectively like any other boot animation, it won't affect the boot time ;)