hudl2 does not charge

Guest horizon21

Guest state-it

Mine doesn't have to be run down to a low battery-level at all for this issue to take effect. And I can't duplicate the clock'stopping' problem either.  It's a shame Clock Sync doesn't work on the (unrooted) HUDL2...

Guest mark2410

Hey guys, so I also have a Lenovo yoga tablet 2. Also brand new and I have just noticed it do the exact same slow charging issue.  Plunged it in and said it was going to take 3 days to charge, did a power off wait 30 seconds then back on and it starts reporting it will only take a few hours.  I unplug then plug back in and boom back to days. Power cycle again and back to hours.

Besides me owning them both the common feature is they are both on 4.4.2.  Is there maybe some problem with it and maybe some app interaction?

Nice discovery. :wacko:

Just hope Tesco don't repeat the hudl1 OTA update experience of dragging their feet. An unlikely update to 4.4.4 would be a great result through this issue - people should probably forget aiming for the starts (lollipop) :(

Guest mark2410

update, again.  so this moring plugging in the yoga 2 it was saying days again but leaving it plugged in anyway, i noticed 5 min later it had changed to hours.  it didn't do this list night though so what the F is going on i dont know.  could it be soemthing in the hudl2 charger thats making devices behave this way?  i dont see how it could be but the their behaviour is perplexing.

Guest SilverDad

The clock issue was also reported in some builds of 4.4.2. So an Android update might be what we're all hoping for.

Going slightly off-topic, but the Hudl2 does appear to be based upon the Intel Reference Design for Android. If so, Intel have 64bit builds of Android 4.4.4 and 5.0 ready. The question is whether Tesco will pay their development agency to do the minimal porting and testing required. Given that they clearly did minimal testing on the current build, that (imho) seems unlikely.

Guest Pipedreambomb

SilverDad, good point, we have to hope they keep up with upstream fixes. I guess it's a downside of buying a device with unusual specs (Intel inside ;) from a company with a small footprint in Android world. You don't know how well they'll keep the OS up to date. The Hudl looks like it runs fairly vanilla Android, but I guess the kernels and stuff might be a bit unproven and ripe for bugs like this charging one.

Who here had the Hudl 1? Did Tesco do a decent job of patching it, over time?

Guest Redlinebuzz

Spoke to tech support today after returning my first one for a replacement yesterday, brand new one had same problem on second charge, the first guy I spoke to gave me the refund details straight away, today the guy said they are aware of the issue and an update is coming start of next month. I'm happy with that as it's a cracking little tablet. Just hope they get it sorted.

Guest Keeping Up

Not surprised to find that 24 hours after the factory reset which was "guaranteed to fix the problem" it stopped taking charge again.

It's good to hear that the start of next month will see an update, I agree that it seems otherwise quite excellent (for the price) and I hope they can get it sorted before there is chaos at Christmas.

Does anyone know how an update is likely to be managed? Will it be automatic, will it be via Play Store, or will it (like one of the Hudl 1 updates that I read about) require downloading to a USB stick first?

Guest Pipedreambomb

It'll be automatic. If you go to your Settings, and scroll all the way to the bottom, then tap "About tablet", you can check what's going on. Tap "hudl updates" to see when it last checked for an OS update, probably in the last few hours. You can make it check again just to be sure!

Also of note, I see, is the Build Number at the bottome of the "About tablet" screen. It seems to contain a date when the version you're running was built. On mine at the moment, it's "KOTH....20141009..." - i.e. 09/10/2014. It might look like a random 8 digit number, but it's the best way to save dates as text if you want to sort them by filename to get the earliest/latest file.

Guest pirate3969

After reading this in bed this morning at 6am on my new Hudl2 I received yesterday, I thought i'd post about the battery issue. Last night i put my Hudl2 on charge around 10pm from 36% to find about 8 hours later it had stopped at 86%. After powering off and charging from my PC's USB3 port using the supplied cable it flew to 100%. Probably would have done the same from the mains, so by powering off certainly bypasses software which must be the root of the problem as other have pointed out already. Other than that i'm pretty impressed with it considering I own the original Nexus 7 which now belongs to the missus. Which means i don't own a Nexus 7.  :D

Guest Pipedreambomb

Don't know if this might help anyone or not, but I heard about this app called Potential on the All About Android podcast. It lets you monitor your battery levels across your Android devices and send them into low usage modes if they're not looking so good. In other words, you can micromanage your Hudl' battery from your phone if it's in another location.

Here's a hands-on: http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/10/14/potential-can-sync-battery-life-across-devices-look-good-hands/

Edited by Pipedreambomb

Guest mark2410

dont know if the same for everyone but mine starts to charge slow but if i leave it be a while it starts charging fast.  thats with the hudl charger.

Guest Gwyn400

I havent had any problems with it charging slow or not charging but sometimes mine turns itself on while it's charging. Does that happen with anyone elses? doesnt sound like something it's supposed to do

Guest Pipedreambomb

I havent had any problems with it charging slow or not charging but sometimes mine turns itself on while it's charging. Does that happen with anyone elses? doesnt sound like something it's supposed to do

Hi Gwyn400, that's never happened to me. I turn mine off to charge overnight and it's always off in the morning. I haven't seen anyone report that issue in this thread. Dumb tech support-style question here, but are you sure it might not be leaning against something in the night that presses on the power button?

Now you mention turning it off to charge overnight, thinking about it, I actually think I use it less because in the moment I could use it, it's not worth waiting for it to boot up. I think that's the real issue I have with the charging bug. It makes me use the Hudl less. For example, today it's half 8 in the evening and I haven't turned mine on yet.

Edit: I checked and it is on, turns out I turned it on when I woke up and haven't used it since. But you see what I mean, it gives me that hesitation to use it when when it is on, because I can't remember if it'll have to boot up for a minute before I can use it. I just reach for my phone instead, with its tiny screen. Silly.

Edited by Pipedreambomb

Guest Clever Trevor

OK guys. I spoke to Tesco's Hudl 2 support line this morning. I got Michelle. About as useful as a chocolate fireguard. She had no idea what I was talking about and kept asking me what my issue / problem was with my Fourth Hudl 2. After I explained to her for the fifth time what was wrong with my Hudl 2 and it's charging problem, then adding how the clock was constantly wrong when this issue occurred, she told me I was being rude and couldn't see how our conversation could progress unless I explained myself. I politely asked her to transfer me to someone who could help me. She left me hanging on the line for so long, my beard grew another half inch. I rang back and spoke to a lovely lady who knew about the charging fault, but could not inform me as to when Tesco's were issuing an update to solve our problems. I asked to speak to a supervisor, he didn't have a clue about the Hudl 2 charging and clock problem, but promised to investigate it for me. I won't hold my breath. The only solutions I were offere'd were, to have an "in store" replacement or a refund. They refused point blank to post me a known working unit. They treated my concerns like a one off incident. They refused to seriously adknowledge there was anything wrong with my or anyone else's Hudl 2. In my opinion, Tesco's are not interested in solving or helping with this this known problem.

Edited by Clever Trevor

Guest seanspotatobusiness

I have a strange issue with the h2 - I plug the charger into the socket, the led goes red, but the device's battery drops instead of charging. The issue is temporarily fixed if I restart the hudl2.

Does anyone else have a similar issue?

I am on vanilla (un-rooted) firmware with the latest update on it.

EDIT: A solution has been found for the time being! Thanks to Chris for stepping in for us! All credits go to him and the Tesco dev team.

It would be helpful if you stated what the solution is, what with having the first post and all.

dont know if the same for everyone but mine starts to charge slow but if i leave it be a while it starts charging fast.  thats with the hudl charger.

I might have the same thing but I haven't paid very close attention. Sometimes it seems to have charged less than I expected but like I say, I'm not confident that this is the case. Is there an app I can install that will log the battery charge against time (ideally forever, as long as the app is installed)? Then I could say categorically what it's doing.

OK guys. I spoke to Tesco's Hudl 2 support line this morning. I got Michelle. About as useful as a chocolate fireguard. She had no idea what I was talking about and kept asking me what my issue / problem was with my Fourth Hudl 2. After I explained to her for the fifth time what was wrong with my Hudl 2 and it's charging problem, then adding how the clock was constantly wrong when this issue occurred, she told me I was being rude and couldn't see how our conversation could progress unless I explained myself. I politely asked her to transfer me to someone who could help me. She left me hanging on the line for so long, my beard grew another half inch. I rang back and spoke to a lovely lady who knew about the charging fault, but could not inform me as to when Tesco's were issuing an update to solve our problems. I asked to speak to a supervisor, he didn't have a clue about the Hudl 2 charging and clock problem, but promised to investigate it for me. I won't hold my breath. The only solutions I were offere'd were, to have an "in store" replacement or a refund. They refused point blank to post me a known working unit. They treated my concerns like a one off incident. They refused to seriously adknowledge there was anything wrong with my or anyone else's Hudl 2. In my opinion, Tesco's are not interested in solving or helping with this this known problem.

According to this article Tesco is aware of the issue and will release an update this month. Granted, Michelle sounds like a dumbass. Why don't you try an app such as this to reboot your Hudl2 every night while you're asleep? That way you know it will be switched on and fully charged when you wake (so long as it's plugged in). That should be a tolerable work around until Tesco fix it. If they're stupid enough to fail to fix it before Christmas then the public will be explaining to Michelle many times every day until she does understand and Tesco will have many returned units to deal with.

Edited by seanspotatobusiness

Guest Pipedreambomb

They refused point blank to post me a known working unit.

Not to take their side, but there's isn't there a chance that they didn't have one?

Probably poking the bear here, but yves1 might have a point. You've been through four replacements and they're offering you a refund. I'd take it, and buy something else. For example, I sold my Galaxy Tab 3 to get the Hudl, and it was a little sluggish in comparison, but at least I could charge it while I used it :)

Guest welshblob

I got mine the day after release and as the supplied micro usb cable was difficult/stiff to insert (oh dear!) I have always used my 2A Blackberry charger (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B004XKG7NM/)

I have found it to be quite reliable and only a handfull of times has it got stuck at a low % and won't charge which a reboot normally fixes. I tend to charge it up and let to drain to ~10% and then plug it in. 

Also I've only just experienced the clock issue which was resolved by a power down and a power on using the power and vol + button .... not that I'm sure that did anything. 

Anyway I hope tesco fix these issues as I'm about to give 2 of them as presents although I will provide a blackberry charger with them as well. 

Guest Clever Trevor

Tesco's rang me today. Apparently they are issuing an update to resolve the charging and clock problem with our Hudl 2's. December 15th. This year hopefully!

For all the people blogging on here, trust me, it's a software or firmware problem.

No point supplying a blackberry charger.

No point re setting the clock.

Forget apps that turn it off and back on ( good idea though ).

Tesco's have taken far too long before listening to us the buyers.

The Hudl 2 is a really good product, but unfortunately, Tesco's have refused to agknowedge they have a problem with their PC tablet, until now. I've been in touch with them since October, it's now December, nearly two months with 4 units and 6 factory resets that still don't work properly.

What's the warranty period? From when we buy it, or from when it works properly???

Edited by Clever Trevor