hudl2 does not charge

Guest horizon21

Guest seanspotatobusiness

Tesco's rang me today. Apparently they are issuing an update to resolve the charging and clock problem with our Hudl 2's. December 15th. This year hopefully!

For all the people blogging on here, trust me, it's a software or firmware problem.

No point supplying a blackberry charger.

No point re setting the clock.

Forget apps that turn it off and back on ( good idea though ).

Tesco's have taken far too long before listening to us the buyers.

The Hudl 2 is a really good product, but unfortunately, Tesco's have refused to agknowedge they have a problem with their PC tablet, until now. I've been in touch with them since October, it's now December, nearly two months with 4 units and 6 factory resets that still don't work properly.

What's the warranty period? From when we buy it, or from when it works properly???

Indeed your warranty will be from when you purchased the tablet but if you get a refund and then buy another in a separate transaction you'll get a new warranty?

Guest Jabbitt

Is there a time limit as to when you can get a refund? I'm seriously considering taking my Hudl2 back. The battery life is shocking compared to my original Nexus 7. I don't expect to watch a two hour film and have that kill the battery by 45%!

At the moment my Hudl2 now stops charging at 98%. The screen says fully charged but when I unplug the battery reports 98%! I've had this a few times now.

This is my second Hudl2. The first had a bright green pixel on its third day of use!

Guest tired999

My 2 month old Hudl 2 is currently in for repair with the non charging problem. I read this thread after sending it in so wasn't aware that Tesco were supposed to be issuing a OTA update today. I found Tesco's tech support to be completely useless as they didn't seem to understand my problem even though it would appear to be a common fault. I did ask if there was going to be a OTA update  as it was obviously software related and was told that they could only fix it if it was sent in for repair and I couldn't have a replacement as it was over 28 days old.

It was picked it up on last Friday after they failed to commect it on Thursday. Fingers crossed I get it back in a better state than I sent it in!

Guest immediate

Anybody seen an update yet?

Not me! At 08:44 on 16th December a check shows mine as being up to date. I wonder what happened to yesterday's alleged update??

Guest Pipedreambomb

Me either. I guess it's just the start of a week, but the 15th seems like a strangely specific deadline to miss.

I'm also a bit concerned that when I went to check, it appeared me Hudl hadn't looked for an update since November. Shouldn't it be checking automatically?

Man, Tesco is going to have all sorts of trouble on its hands when people find their Christmas presents don't recharge, and even if there's a fix, the device won't automatically get it.

I'm personally looking forward to seeing the articles in the mainstream newspapers when the Tesco backlash starts. It's starting to seem inevitable at this point. They'll have spokespeople frantically back pedalling and they'll be bringing in developers to work on New Years Day, and we'll be like, "We tried to tell you." :D

Sorry, I know I'm being glib because it's not affecting me as badly as others. I don't use it enough to run the battery down before the day is out. Still, we'd all like to see a little vengeance, right?

Guest welshblob

I think I was automatically alerted to the update released shortly after launch. Maybe its miss reporting when it checked and its more like when it was updated last? 

Guest Pipedreambomb

Oh yeah, you're right, sorry. I didn't see it for long in my haste to check for a new update. Looking again, it says "Last updated on 04 November 2014".

Guest Clever Trevor

Still waiting for the alleged update. Good old Tesco's eh. Don't listen to us the buyers, not interested in our input, but still selling faulty goods.

Guest Clever Trevor

I'm now informed Tesco's are not updating the Hudl 2 until after Christmas. Should be fun if all the Christmas Hudl 2 presents have got problems and they don't have the update ready to fix them!

Well done Tesco's. Good marketing strategy. !!! .

Guest Pipedreambomb

Yeah, it does pretty much suck. Considered buying The Walking Dead game for my Hudl today, but I realised that with its poor battery life and inability to charge while using it, I won't be able to play for more than 3 hours or so at a time. I've been off work for months with post operative pain, so I need something to fill my days. Guess tablet games are off the list.

Guest SilverDad

I've just posted into another thread, but it is relevant here. I've just been on to Tesco. Apparently, all the major bugs are known; there is an update that fixes them. That update has been held back until after Christmas "in case it causes more problems".

Edited by SilverDad

Guest tired999

I've just had my Hudl 2 back from its repair for this issue and I'm not sure they've done anything to it. Last update is showing as 3 Oct 2014. I'll have to wait until the battery runs out.......

Guest seanspotatobusiness

I've just had my Hudl 2 back from its repair for this issue and I'm not sure they've done anything to it. Last update is showing as 3 Oct 2014. I'll have to wait until the battery runs out.......

Why not just restart it? If you leave it plugged in overnight is it not charged by morning? If you do need to reboot it to charge, consider installing an automatic reboot program.

Guest tired999

Why not just restart it? If you leave it plugged in overnight is it not charged by morning? If you do need to reboot it to charge, consider installing an automatic reboot program.

If I buy something I expect it to work properly especially if it's only a few months old. Having to keep rebooting is not a satisfactory solution for me.

Guest Desolutional

If I buy something I expect it to work properly especially if it's only a few months old. Having to keep rebooting is not a satisfactory solution for me.

At least you can always get it replaced for free within the warranty period, that's what I really enjoy about Amazon. Once I had a massive colossal failure of a £500 NAS (HDDs were safe thankfully), and they sent me a new one within two days, along with a nice delivery guy to pick my faulty one up on the premises. Tesco are the same, a family member got their cash back after SIX MONTHS of issues with the original Hudl. SIX MONTHS, with regular use (albeit annoying bugs), and all the money refunded to them. That's first class customer service on par with Amazon if I ever saw any. I still want to give the Tesco tech dev team a kick up the arse tho', should just unlock the bootloader with a software update; 99.9% of home users won't even know how to access it.

Guest Keeping Up

I've just posted into another thread, but it is relevant here. I've just been on to Tesco. Apparently, all the major bugs are known; there is an update that fixes them. That update has been held back until after Christmas "in case it causes more problems".

Surely that's illogical? If they released the update now and there was a problem it would affect a smaller number of devices AND they would have time to fix it before Christmas.

Guest OneSock

Why is hardly anywhere talking about this?! When I google it expecting some new article or report on this I just get the same purple links I clicked months ago. I don't even know what this place is but I made an account just so I could vent!

I seem to see 2 variants of the charging issue. Some say it doesn't charge at all, and others (which is the problem I have) is it doesn't seem to recognise the charger, but it does charge verrrry slowly. No charging light comes on and if you use it while 'charging' you will expend more battery than you gain. Annoying as hell!

So, I am going to my mums for Christmas and need to have a working tablet, for those who tried it if I factory reset this git will the problem go away? And is it just a random matter of time till it comes back?!

On a more humerus note, according to the battery statistics in android settings it thinks I've been running days on battery :D if you didn't know the issue you would think its a powerhouse! You can see the peaks and troughs of when I have 'charged' it.

post-1051096-0-82666400-1419076496_thumb

Edited by OneSock

Guest Keeping Up

A factory reset only seems to cure the problem for about 24 hours (which is just about long enough for you to finish downloading and updating everything, and re-entering all your passwords and things to get back to where you were before you started).

I too can't understand why there isn't more discussion about this elsewhere. Surely a couple of the newspapers who love Tesco-bashing would love to report it?

Guest baronsaturday

It seems like they're pretty good with the refunds, but I spent £20 on a case (which tbf is really nice). I wonder if they'd be willing to refund that too.