hudl2 does not charge

Guest horizon21

Guest I am eusty

You had to reboot it because it wouldn't charge?

All I know for sure is (checking my battery monitor) my Hudl was powered on and charging for the last two nights. I haven't powered it off since Sunday night, and it's now Wednesday evening.

Yup. It was lower than I usually get it (15%) and had the 'straight line' on Simple Battery Monitor. First time it's happened for a while, when I rebooted it was stuck in the bootloader, dunno if it's related? A soft reset and it booted ok.  :)

Guest Pipedreambomb

Okay, thanks for the extra details. I guess it's just a coincidence after all. Still, I'm now looking forward to the proper fix. I'd started to forget what it was like to have a tablet charge just because you plugged it into its charger - crazy concept, huh? ;)

Guest Keeping Up

Just a thought ... I see that Tesco updated some of the Tesco apps last week. On both my Hudl's the upgrades happened without my getting the usual notification messages in the top left corner, but whereas on the Hudl 1 there were no side effects, on the Hudl 2 the Tesco account sign in stopped working until I reentered my password and the TescoBank app lost its passcode so I had to reset the security details. I see the release note on the Playstore says they've fixed a few bugs, I wonder if one of the bugs was faulty interaction between the Tesco apps and the system?

At the moment it's still charging OK.

Guest Pipedreambomb

Interesting, Keeping Up. Might be worth looking into.

IAmEusty, could you try going to the Play Store and checking all your apps are up-to-date?

Guest I am eusty

Interesting, Keeping Up. Might be worth looking into.

IAmEusty, could you try going to the Play Store and checking all your apps are up-to-date?

Yup they are, but......

All my Tesco apps are disabled so won't get updated as they are not running.

Guest itsmartin

Just come across this thread when googling after experiencing this issue with a recently-purchased hudl 2. Everything I've experienced seems to line up with what others have said (device appears to be charging but never gets anywhere, clock showing wrong time), and I'm eagerly awaiting the coming update, but I just wanted to clarify something about the 10-second poweroff advice.

Is holding down the power button for 10 seconds any different to holding it for 1 second and selecting the normal "power off" option? It seems like holding it for 10 seconds forces an immediate hard power-off, while selecting the menu option would shut it down more cleanly, so why is 10 seconds the recommendation?

I'm also curious whether this has anything to do with disabling the tesco software on the device. My impression seems to be that this is only affecting 'power users', given that this forum is the only real mention of the problem I've found, so I was wondering if there's anyone who's using the default Tesco launcher and has left all the tesco bloatware untouched, and is still having this issue...

Guest Pipedreambomb

Just come across this thread when googling after experiencing this issue with a recently-purchased hudl 2. Everything I've experienced seems to line up with what others have said (device appears to be charging but never gets anywhere, clock showing wrong time), and I'm eagerly awaiting the coming update, but I just wanted to clarify something about the 10-second poweroff advice.

Is holding down the power button for 10 seconds any different to holding it for 1 second and selecting the normal "power off" option? It seems like holding it for 10 seconds forces an immediate hard power-off, while selecting the menu option would shut it down more cleanly, so why is 10 seconds the recommendation?

I'm also curious whether this has anything to do with disabling the tesco software on the device. My impression seems to be that this is only affecting 'power users', given that this forum is the only real mention of the problem I've found, so I was wondering if there's anyone who's using the default Tesco launcher and has left all the tesco bloatware untouched, and is still having this issue...

We don't know that it only affects power users, we just know the only people who come on here are power users, and quite a few of them have the problem :)

I don't think I've disabled any of the Tesco apps on mine. I use Google Now Launcher and just ignore the crud, AFAIK. They're not intrusive in any way, unlike the apps on my Sony phone that keep giving me notifications.

I can't answer about the 10 second thing as I just turn mine off to charge, I don't reset it. Anyone?

Anywho, the fix is due on Monday, which for those keeping score isn't "in the next month" as promised in November, but if the deadline doesn't slip again, all this will be moot and we can find something new to complain about.

Guest mayburyds

I use the google launcher and have done nothing with the Tesco apps either.

Since something change a few days ago I just plug the charger in regardless of the percentage left in the battery and don't put it to sleep or power it off. Charges as it should. Very odd.

Cheers.

Guest Pipedreambomb

Looks like my 'cure' was a blip too. It flatlined all last night. Just unplugged it from the charger for the first time today and it is on 24% battery. I'll turn it off and charge it [weary sigh].

Guest Jabbitt

Has anyone experienced this? Several times I've awoken to a green light on the Hudl2. Assuming it's fully charged I turn the screen on only to find its only reached 98%

This happened once after I installed Simple Battery Graph and the results are strange.

You can see when it was plugged in at approximately 11pm. During the night it fully charged, rapidly stepped down and then charged again up to 98%. You can see the blip where I checked it in the morning and unplugged and reinserted the charger cable to top it up to 100%.

Bizarre!

post-1050833-14201349488291_thumb.png

Edited by Jabbitt

Guest I am eusty

Yeah that's normal. Most devices don't try to keep the charge at 100% as it would be charging on and off repeatedly. My guess it only starts to charge at 98%.

Guest mayburyds

Let mine run down till it powered itself off.

Plugged the charger in and powered up. Battery symbol appeared with an exclamation mark in.

Left it charging for a few minutes and then powered up again and it booted OK and seems to be charging OK.

Cheers.

Guest Clever Trevor

My Hudl 2 has been absolutely fine for almost 5 days now. It seems the battery charging problem has gone away and the clock keeps time normally too. Can't be certain, but the battery life appears better too.

As pointed out in previous posts, I would call myself a power user too, so we would notice what's happening more than an occasional user.

Way back in October this year when I first told Tesco's about this charging problem, they told me it they'd not had any complaints about charging or the clock, but offered me a nice new Hudl 2, which I duly accepted. Two more Hudl 2's later and a change of colour too, and it's only taken nearly three months to get it sorted out.

Hope all on this forum have a wonderful New Year, and your Hudl's, new and old perform nicely forever more.

Guest cjh-75

Just spoke to tech support - they have no offical release date for an update now so what a load of crap about a fix being out today. Mines going back.

Guest Keeping Up

I guess they deliberately held back in December to see how many returns they got, and because they got less than a certain number they decided not to bother with issuing it in January. Strangely some machines seem to be working perfectly, according to their new owners.

Well it'll be a shame if Tesco don't follow through today with "the update" but it won't be a surprise.

:ninja:

....... and to think, people are asking/demanding Lollipop sheesh!

Guest Clever Trevor

My started charging normally just over a week ago and it still is. Maybe Tesco's have snuck an update in without us knowing???

Spooky or what?

Guest tired999

Mine went in for repair before Xmas, as it was more than 28 days old, but I don't know what they did to it if anything. The charging issue returned a week after I got it back and I had the clock problem yesterday too after a reboot and full charge. Phoned Tesco this morning and am getting a replacement tomorrow and was advised to reboot at least once a day. I was told that there is no date for an update.

Guest welshblob

My started charging normally just over a week ago and it still is. Maybe Tesco's have snuck an update in without us knowing???

Spooky or what?

Mine hasn't had the charging or clock issue since before Christmas. Neither did the two that I gave as Christmas presents.