January OTA analysis and discussion

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

So I just got the new OTA - hudl2_ota_20141009.191216_v1.1.2rc1-20150106.154003_v1.2.0rc5.zip

Initial notes...

• Update itself is substantial - nearly 200MB
  • Battery of 50%+ is required to flash
  • Update patches fastboot, recovery, boot and flashes an 'ESP' image. For this reason, the patch will probably need to be applied in its entirety, rather than via an updated root process
  • There are a couple of full APKs in the update, topapps, getstarted and the Google Docs editors.
How is everyone finding it? I haven't flashed yet as my device is charging. I am a little concerned by the updated fastboot, I hope it doesn't stop us flashing system images (our root method)...!

I've uploaded the OTA ZIP in case anyone else wants to have a poke around - http://content.modaco.net/dropzone/hudl2_ota_20141009.191216_v1.1.2rc1-20150106.154003_v1.2.0rc5.zip

P

Guest Matthew Watson

My devices aren't rooted. I've installed the update without issues on both of them. It .didn't really take very long - less than 30 mins from starting the download to finishing the application optimisation after the final reboot.

I wasn't often having a charging problem, so I can't speak for that - but the new option to move supported apps to the SD card is great; that's the only feature I was really missing from Lollipop. So now, I really don't care that Lollipop won't ever be available on Hudl 2.

Conclusion: Very happy with the update so far (but can't verify that the charging issue is fixed because I had it so rarely).

Just to clarify for the curious -

I've been running the rooted system image supplied by Paul in this post - allowed the hudl2 to download and attempt to install the latest OTA update, this fails in my case due to 'build.prop' integrity check - I'd changed the dpi to 240.

On android update screen selected 'Reboot system' and I'm back fully working to where I was before, still have valid root / configuration etc just not on the latest build.

I'm not in any form of OTA update loop!

:ninja:  

Guest PaulOBrien

OTA upload finished (in first post if you want to use it).

The bootloader is still accepting a /system flash but for whatever reason, it won't boot from my new image, even though it's valid. Not ideal!

P

Guest deadphill

All sounds good Paul.

What advantages are there for root now that we can move apps to the sd card? Being a bit naive here but my own uses for root have never been that great. I can only think of running a VNC server to the device as something I may wish to have root for.

Interested in yours and others thoughts.

Cheers

Phill

Guest PaulOBrien

All sounds good Paul.

What advantages are there for root now that we can move apps to the sd card? Being a bit naive here but my own uses for root have never been that great. I can only think of running a VNC server to the device as something I may wish to have root for.

Interested in yours and others thoughts.

Cheers

Phill

Xposed! :)

P

Guest PaulOBrien

New update rooted, image uploading now.

If you are on a previous release the process is to accept and apply the OTA, then re-root as you did originally.

P

Guest Slymobi

Ota update on non rooted hudl, fixed the charging bug and can now move some apps to sd. Here is the kick in the teeth for me......I never had the clock bug BUT since the update its absolutely ridiculous. I reckon its actually losing a minute every 15 minutes so my time is always behind. Ok after a force reboot but then slowly starts losing time again. Need to do a full factory reset to test at some point but I really can't be ##### at the moment lol.

Guest Swan Age

Early days yet to see if the charging issues on my Hudl2 have been sorted.

However one thing I have noticed is that the Dolby equaliser control panel option in Google Play Music is now no longer available, so the ability to tweak and customise sound is now gone.

All you have now is the 3 presets listed under the sound category in settings. Disappointed.

Edited by Swan Age

I haven't had a repeat of the no charging issue yet. However, I am having issues with Icons not staying on the homepage or other pages I have placed them on. I actually think this may be linked to the Tesco apps because all the icons I put on the home page prior to inputting my clubcard number stay when I restart and any after disappear.

Guest MrMatthews98

However one thing I have noticed is that the Dolby equaliser control panel option in Google Play Music is now no longer available, so the ability to tweak and customise sound is now gone.

All you have now is the 3 presets listed under the sound category in settings. Disappointed.

I was so angry when I noticed this in the Spotify app - it's like they deemed it acceptable to remove a feature that I liked that came with the device I bought. *sigh*

Strange, I wonder if this is an error, I don't think they've removed it deliberately!

P

This si really not good. The fact that the HUDL had this equalizer and my phone didn't made it my go to media device :(

J

Guest seanspotatobusiness

I haven't had a repeat of the no charging issue yet. However, I am having issues with Icons not staying on the homepage or other pages I have placed them on. I actually think this may be linked to the Tesco apps because all the icons I put on the home page prior to inputting my clubcard number stay when I restart and any after disappear.

It's the Tesco launcher. Install an alternative launcher such as Go Launcher or Nova. Enjoy.

Guest Desolutional

Ma boi; trying installing Apollo Music Player (https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=95784891001614565) and accessing the "Equaliser" function from the 3-dot menu button. Post back results?

I have just tried the ota but have come across a problem.

Running rooted 20141009.191216. OTA downloads fine. Updating fails with core.odex assert failed. This sticks me in a loop of the hudl restarting and going through the update check-download-fail loop. I have adb sideloaded the rooted 20141009.191216 image but that fails with signature varification failure. Does anyone have a stock 20141009.191216 rom that i can try? Had a look but could not find one. Thanks in advance......