January OTA feedback for Tesco

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest VyseBlue

Purchased my Hudl2 10 October last year.

It's not rooted and everything installed is standard and unmodified.  GMail and a few genuine Apps from the Google Play Store are used.

Until the January update I'd not experienced any of the issues encountered by others.  It had performed perfectly in every way, the battery life had been particularly good.

Since the update it has been reluctant to turn on and slow to boot thereafter.  Other issues are listed below but in short the January update has ruined my unit.  Had it behaved like this from new it would have gone straight back.

I'm seeing the time & date issue on every boot, shows January 01, 00.00 until it updates from the web, it then continues with the correct time and date.  If update date & time from web is set to off the displayed date and time continues from January 01, 00.00.

Touch screen has become insensitive, I've always used the Tesco stylus so not a finger issue.

Battery appears to charge OK, taking the same time to fully charge as I'd seen previously but the battery status graph is inaccurate time wise reporting significantly more or less time on battery than has actually elapsed.

I have seen one occurrence of the unit fully discharging over a period of 2 days whilst turned off - definitely not left in stand-by.  This never happened prior to the update, battery life was excellent.

Not Happy!!!

Just joined up to report similar results (I thought I was the only one to experience this unpleasant phenomenon!)

I had two Hudl2s - the first purchased at launch, the second just before Christmas, neither rooted. On the first unit, the January update installed just fine, and the tablet performs impeccably (no issues whatsoever). On the second unit, the update froze partway through (black screen, tablet unresponsive). I managed to wake the Hudl2 with a long press of the power button and the update seemed to continue, but afterwards saw the same problems as David441:

- Slow to boot (had to hold the power button for 5 seconds before the screen would turn on, and then the screen would turn off by itself and then on again, followed by a slow startup)

- Time/date reset to January 01, 00.00 at every boot

I can't comment on the battery, as I took the unit straight back for a replacement. But guess what? I took the new unit out of its box, applied the mandatory update, and immediately the tablet exhibited exactly the same behaviour as the one I had returned: slow boot, time/date resetting. I tried a factory reset, and the tablet became stuck in a boot loop (screen flashing on and off) - a long press of the power button made it continue and complete the reset, but the problems persisted. I returned it for a refund.

Intriguingly, the two faulty Hudl2s had noticeably worse performance than the 'good' one that I still have - i.e. lower benchmark scores, and lag while gaming. Perhaps it was a bad batch? Regardless, it seems too much bother to try gambling on another one...

Guest David441

Hi VyseBlue

Thanks for confirming I'm not losing my mind.

It would seem perhaps that not all Hudl 2s are equal - on the inside at least.

Spoke with Tesco this morning and they instantly arranged to collect the unit to investigate, repair or replace.

An imediate replacement would have been good but from your experience that might have been a repeat performance.  Hopefully the little beastie will be happy and home again soon.

Guest VyseBlue

Hi VyseBlue

Thanks for confirming I'm not losing my mind.

It would seem perhaps that not all Hudl 2s are equal - on the inside at least.

Spoke with Tesco this morning and they instantly arranged to collect the unit to investigate, repair or replace.

An imediate replacement would have been good but from your experience that might have been a repeat performance.  Hopefully the little beastie will be happy and home again soon.

I did consider the repair option, but I lack the patience!

I think it's good that you sent it in for investigation, though - I'd be reluctant to install any further firmware updates on my 'good' Hudl 2 unless Tesco can identify how the last one broke our devices...

I hope yours does indeed come back healthy and soon. When it's working correctly, it's a splendid little tablet.

Guest stevehudl2

Hello,  I have a post - SD card removed unexpectedly - and in summary, tried with two separate SanDisk cards (32GB) and they are not 'seen' after 3 or more hours in sleep mode.  However, a Moto *Gb card and a Samsung 32GB card work fine.  Looks like there might be a problem with 'sleep' mode and SanDisk SD cards, either generally or on my Hudl2.  If you remove the Sandisk card and re-insert, or power down and power up the Hudl2, the SanDisk card is seen again but only for a few hours.  Cheers. david.

It can't be a blanket sandisk thing, I'm using a 16gb sandisk ultra SD card and have no problems at all, I would be looking at your tablets configuration rather than the cards is they are working fine in other devices

Guest David441

This may be useful to others.  I apologise for the length of the post.

Further to my earlier 2 posts on problems experienced since the January OTA.  (Please read these first)

A question for the Android aficionados, is it possible that having an SD card in place when performing an OTA is a bad idea?

I explain below why I'm asking this question.

The most obviously apparent problem was the failure to maintain time and date, returning to Wednesday 4 January 00:00 on every boot.  Time could be corrected either manually or by syncing to the network and would remain correct for the powered on period but would be lost at next boot.

In preparing the unit for return to Tesco today (Friday 6 Feb) I ensured I'd copied any data I wanted to keep to my SD card (Kingston 32GB, Class 10) then "Unmounted" the card, powered off the Hudl2 and removed the card.

For the record, the SD card had worked perfectly in the Hudl and tested OK elsewhere.  There had been no problems recognising, writing to or reading from the SD card at any point before or after the OTA.

On rebooting the Hudl2 it was immediately obvious that operation appeared to have returned to normal.  I reset the date and time and over the next few hours rebooted several times, the date and time remained correct and no other issues were noted.

Next I reintroduced the SD card.  Again the Hudl2 continued to work perfectly with no sign of the issues I'd been experiencing since the January OTA and the SD card and data were fine.  For now I'm going to hold off returning the unit to Tesco until it's done a few days work to see if any of the issues reappear.

I've never removed a memory card in any device including the hudl2 before doing an OTA. It sounds more like your hudl2 needed a good reset/powerdown to sort itself out.

SD cards can get corrupted and cause havoc with android. They use the fat32 file system under android and it isn't the most robust of file systems. Also some manufacturers cards have been known to be incompatible with some devices, sandisk being one of the culprits. Also there are a huge number of fake cards on Amazon and eBay which have been reprogrammed to present themselves as having a higher cqpacity, so if it looks like a bargain, chances are it will be a fake card.

Might be worth us creating a new post and making a list of what cards people have used with the Hudl2 and which are known to work correctly in the device.

Guest glossywhite

SD cards can get corrupted and cause havoc with android. They use the fat32 file system under android and it isn't the most robust of file systems. Also some manufacturers cards have been known to be incompatible with some devices, sandisk being one of the culprits. Also there are a huge number of fake cards on Amazon and eBay which have been reprogrammed to present themselves as having a higher cqpacity, so if it looks like a bargain, chances are it will be a fake card.

Might be worth us creating a new post and making a list of what cards people have used with the Hudl2 and which are known to work correctly in the device.

If you want guaranteed legitimate branded cards and no hassle, buy from mymemory.co.uk - they're a reputable, official SanDisk/Kingston reseller, and their reputation precedes them.

Guest VyseBlue

A question for the Android aficionados, is it possible that having an SD card in place when performing an OTA is a bad idea?

I think it's more random than that...

My first Hudl2 that went wrong did indeed have an SD card inserted during the update. Removing the card did not alleviate the date/time/slow boot problems.

The second Hudl2 that went wrong did *not* have an SD card inserted during the update.

I think you might just have gotten lucky with your fix! I'd keep a close eye on that Hudl...

Guest mark359

I still have charging issue on my hudl. Had it are update too. I have spoken to tesco who offered to replace but I don't want the hassle. Really hope they push out a new update soon

Guest arnookie

Go to settings, battery, display and turn off daydream. This has fixed every problem I had. Totally transformed my tablet for the better fixed charge problem, moving icons and auto contrast. :0) 

Guest seanspotatobusiness

Go to settings, battery, display and turn off daydream. This has fixed every problem I had. Totally transformed my tablet for the better fixed charge problem, moving icons and auto contrast. :0)

Did you have a problem with the time keeping and if so did this fix it?

Guest seanspotatobusiness

Unfortunately this hasn't eliminated the problem of the slow clock for me. Time will tell whether it affects the battery charging.

It's conceivable that this procedure/setting is necessary but not sufficient to fix the Hudl. Perhaps there is something else about your configuration.

Edited by seanspotatobusiness

Guest David441

Following on from my posts 50, 52 and 56, the apparent link between the issues experienced since the January OTA and the removal of the SD card have proved to be wrong.

After several days of perfect operation the date and time were lost again on startup yesterday, resetting to the default of 01 January 2014 @ 00:00.  This was without an SD card fitted.

Three further tries at manually correcting the date and time saw it return to the default on each power off / on cycle.

The unit then refused to power up despite the battery having previously shown at 80%, it also refused to respond to a factory reset.  Plugging in the charger forced it into charge mode and from there it was possible to power up the unit.  Again the date and time had returned to the default setting and the battery status showed 80% Charging.  Removing the charger the unit returned to normal operation but lost date and time on each power cycle.

Just to restate, prior to the January OTA the unit's operation had been perfect in every way.

It is now on its way back to Tesco (Camtronics) for investigation / repair.

Guest r00tmydevices

Recently noticed SanDisk often offer two different versions of their memory cards, one standard version and the other an Android version. Any actual difference or is this just marketing?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Keeping Up

Mine had the usual charging problems before the update. Turning off, or a factory reset, cured the problem for about 24 hours.

After the update it was fine at first, needing only to be switched off about once a week which was almost acceptable, but this period became progressively shorter so that by last week it needed to be switched off once every 24 hours. But it has continued to get worse and now it will never charge up without being switched off first (it's ok to switch back on before charging though) and now the time goes wrong about three times a day too.

Guest Clever Trevor

My Hudl 2 turned itself off today and refused to turn back on. I eventually plugged it into the charger to check if the battery was flat, but no red charging light appeared. After several plug ins and outs, the charging light came on and it allowed me to turn it on. After it booted up, it showed 67% charged!!. So it wasn't flat, just being annoying. As I checked it I noticed lots of my app icons on each page were missing, so I had to replace them.

Are Tesco's up for another update to cure more software related problems? Anyone know???

Guest r00tmydevices

My Hudl 2 turned itself off today and refused to turn back on. I eventually plugged it into the charger to check if the battery was flat, but no red charging light appeared. After several plug ins and outs, the charging light came on and it allowed me to turn it on. After it booted up, it showed 67% charged!!. So it wasn't flat, just being annoying. As I checked it I noticed lots of my app icons on each page were missing, so I had to replace them.

Are Tesco's up for another update to cure more software related problems? Anyone know???

Had something equally annoying happen with my h2. Was using it a couple of days ago. The battery level was decreasing at an alarming figure (-28% per hour) with wifi on and only Chrome browser running. I let it run completely flat and switch itself off. Plugged it into the mains using supplied Tesco charger and cable and left it on charge over night. Went to switch it on for the first time since just earlier and whilst booting it up, straight after the hudl graphic was dispkayed onscreen, it made an alert type sound them switched itself off. Switched it on again, same thing. Tried maybe 4-5 times but no joy. So plugged the mains charger in again. Red battery icon appeared onscreen then screen went off and red LED light lit up. Five minutes later it changed to green. Does this normally indicate the battery is fully charged because I've had that happen a number of times? Even on the replacement unit I picked up earlier this week on behalf of a family member. Starting to feel my own unit needs to be exchanged. The battery has been poop since day one.

Guest test_pilot28

SO WHAT IS TESCO DOING ABOUT THIS CHARGING PROBLEM?

Is anyone at Tesco HQ taking any notice of this forum, and others to address a quality issue?

Im on my second Hudl2 now, following having a Hudl1 which was very poor, always freezing,, dead screen etc.

On the Hudl2 my original one seemed OK until I installed the update. Since then I have had the charging issues as others have. I have been told to do factory resets and have had a new charger sent out etc.

Tesco need to sort this issue now or risk getting a bad name for quality, so if anyone from tesco reads this forum can someone issue a statement to ascertain what's going on? 

Give this a try go into your settings, select display and turn daydream off. This mode in only ever activated when the device is docked or charging. I haven't had a single problem charging mine since I turned this off, there is no need for this to be enabled and it is certainly worth trying.

Guest Desolutional

SO WHAT IS TESCO DOING ABOUT THIS CHARGING PROBLEM?

Is anyone at Tesco HQ taking any notice of this forum, and others to address a quality issue?

Im on my second Hudl2 now, following having a Hudl1 which was very poor, always freezing,, dead screen etc.

On the Hudl2 my original one seemed OK until I installed the update. Since then I have had the charging issues as others have. I have been told to do factory resets and have had a new charger sent out etc.

Tesco need to sort this issue now or risk getting a bad name for quality, so if anyone from tesco reads this forum can someone issue a statement to ascertain what's going on? 

Nothing. Do you want to know the truth? The Hudl is a cheap Chinese tablet. The only difference being that Tesco have branded it as their own.

The Chinese are the ones who provide the updates. But here's the caveat; they charge money for updates. Tesco, is a bit stingy with cash after their recent publicity - so won't pay for any updates, unless there is significant issues with the Hudl 2 in the grand scheme of things. Only ~5% actually complain about this battery issue; the rest are all less educated about tech (i.e. your stereotypical food and grocery Tesco shopper), so as a result, just think it's normal.

Now... if we were to gather all the battery problem people up and storm Tesco's theoretical castle, in the same way nVidia GTX 970 users are about the 3.5GB VRAM issue, then maybe they'll actually reach into those deep coffers and pull out some monies for some Pegatron updates. But as it stands, that, ain't gonna' happen.

Edited by Desolutional

Guest Nick_Cross

I have daydream turned off.

Unfortunately I am also seeing charging problems. We have especially seen it in the car. The car chargers we use are those recommended in http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-usb-car-charger/ (e.g. a Scosche and an Aukey) - they successfully charge my phone (a Sony Z2) and are rated more powerful than the original Hudl charger so I don't think they are at fault. Neither is the cable - a portapow one.

Rebooting/turning off does seem to help but is extremely frustrating - it would be helpful if this could be fed back to Tesco ;-)