Flashing Helios Rom

Guest olliedog

Guest olliedog

I am a real novice regarding android systems so I hope you guys will bear with me.

I am hoping to try the Helios rom on my Hudl but am unsure if this rom will be compatible? My Hudl is running Android version 4.2.2

Kernel 3.0.36+ android-build mobile.tesco.com#1 Thurs Apr 24 15 .38.48 BST 2014

Build number JDQ39.20140424.153851.

Could someone please advise - thank you.

Hiya with the original hudl it (sort of) doesn't make much difference what you've curretly running as flashing the helios Rom will completely wipe your hudl in the process.

You'll need to flash Helios with the Windows software as it needs to adjust your hudl's partition layout (it includes proper/fixed partitions - the boot partition includes the kernel from memory which Tesco's sort of buggered up).

Also,  the flashing is done via putting the hudl in 'bootloader mode' which is way easier and less prone to issues than the later hudl2 - the original hudl being RK3188 processor based is fairly bomb proof.

Edited by Guest

Guest olliedog

Thanks CaptainMidnight I appreciate your help, from what I understand the Helios rom includes CWM Recovery if you decide to go back to stock rom is CWM Recovery removed when the stock is re-flashed.

......if you decide to go back to stock rom is CWM Recovery removed when the stock is re-flashed.

.... well it will be, but there are ways of keeping it - or should I say, it can be installed on it's own - there is a thread about CWM recovery installation in the list. Many ways to play with things on this tablet. ;)

Guest olliedog

..there is a thread about CWM recovery installation in the list. Many ways to play with things on this tablet. ;)

Many thanks for your advice, I am on the hunt :D

Edited by olliedog

Just be careful with that recovery partition that's the one that I think in the Tesco's standard build hasn't got the kernel, but anyway you'll find that stuff out in those related posts, enjoy.

Guest olliedog

I've just been reading about a boot loop problem if your Hudl has Tesco's 1.3.1 update. I think my tablet must have installed this update because when I look in display it shows a reset screen option, do you think I will encounter the same problem?

Basically, back when various mods and tweaks were being done on the hudl during the time 'in-between' different Tesco hudl OTA updates, if you had made system partition file changes (i.e. changed SystemUI.apk to remove the [T] button etc etc etc) or made other changes that were checked via Tesco's OTA pre-update file integrity checks it would fail to flash the update and if you wiped the hudl via the recovery menu - it would always go through initial setup and fail the forced update before you could use the hudl again.

Anyway, back to the present - your hudl is on the latest (and probably last - if Tesco were honest) OTA rom version 1.3.1 therefore if you made system partition/file changes you'd run the remote risk of a 'future' boot loop. But this really isn't in an issue anymore as you could just reflash your hudl to this 1.3.1 stock image via 'bootloader mode' and then accept any OTA update without issue.

From what you've indicated i.e. flashing the Helios rom or CWM recovery each has it's own boot loop scenario: -

• Helios rom - this rom build is based on an older Tesco OTA update, also probably hasn't had the Tesco OTA update program disabled, therefore could tell you about an available update, which if you accepted would fail to update.
  • CWM recovery - this is a major change (as far as a Tesco OTA integrity check would be concerned) and any 'new' OTA would fail to install.

As long as you made backups of any personal or downloaded files/pictures/mp3's etc etc, you'd just be able to recover via re-flashing with either the stock image and then accept the new update (it'll just work) or the original Helios image and disable OTA updates. :D

Edited by Guest

Guest olliedog

Here's the link for the thread that explains how to disable the Tesco OTA feature - if you wanted to try Helios rom without any possible boot loop / OTA issues.

Here's the link for the thread for CWM recovery.

:ninja:

Thanks to blinkydamo for his rom and to the Captain for his helpful advice and guidance which without doubt massively helped this novice :)