China Phone Discussion [Part 2]

Guest SlyUK

Guest Maringer

As mentioned a while back, I'm becoming increasingly tempted by the Coolpad X7. I note that nobody seems to have purchased one on this forum (I've found a Russian and Spanish forum where people have reviewed the phone).

The phone is available with either MT6595 or Snapdragon 801 (the one with the Mediatek chip is cheaper) and I've not quite decided for sure which one to go for as yet. I think the cheaper MT6595 is more likely to get an update to Lollipop so perhaps I'll go for that one.

The best price I've found for the MT6595 version is on the 1949Deal website. Does anybody have any experience of using this company? Are they reliable enough, do you think? I would pay by Paypal so my money ought to be safe but I'd rather not be wondering if the phone is going to turn up!

Thanks so much for informing us with regards to your Lenovo purchase and the potential for customs roms eg CM 12. Sounds exciting, please keep us informed with any developments :)

Had a good play with the phone over the weekend. I've installed CWM, rooted and put on Xancin's AOSP v3 ROM: http://www.movilesdualsim.com/tema/custom-rom-aosp-v2-anadida-revision-v3.101635/

So far everything seems pretty good. The real issues that I've noticed so far are:

1. Notification LED does not work. It lights up when charging but otherwise nothing. This is a known issue on all K50 Roms unfortunatley and yet to be solved. You can still get notification sounds.

2. Touch capacitive buttons are not back lit. They never were!

3. BBC iplayer freezes when it tries to stream tv. It plays downloaded programs ok. Catchup TV app works fine though.

4. I couldn't get ringtones to work to start with. Seems you have to have vibrate and ring turned on to get the ringer to work.

5. After a call the screen stayed black until I pressed the home button. I think this is a known issue on all K50 roms

These are all issues I've noticed on the custom ASOP V3 ROM. I haven't tried them on the official VibeUI rom.

Guest SlyUK

Had a good play with the phone over the weekend. I've installed CWM, rooted and put on Xancin's AOSP v3 ROM: http://www.movilesdualsim.com/tema/custom-rom-aosp-v2-anadida-revision-v3.101635/

So far everything seems pretty good. The real issues that I've noticed so far are:

1. Notification LED does not work. It lights up when charging but otherwise nothing. This is a known issue on all K50 Roms unfortunatley and yet to be solved. You can still get notification sounds.

2. Touch capacitive buttons are not back lit. They never were!

3. BBC iplayer freezes when it tries to stream tv. It plays downloaded programs ok. Catchup TV app works fine though.

4. I couldn't get ringtones to work to start with. Seems you have to have vibrate and ring turned on to get the ringer to work.

5. After a call the screen stayed black until I pressed the home button. I think this is a known issue on all K50 roms

These are all issues I've noticed on the custom ASOP V3 ROM. I haven't tried them on the official VibeUI rom.

Thanks very much for giving us your observations thus far.

Guest kieranswhite

Hey guys!! I haven't been on Modaco in about 13 months! . After a brief stint with the Vowney V5 i finally caved and bought the one plus one :). For anyone thinking of getting a new phone i would highly recommend it. I have yet to find a fault with this phone!

Guest SlyUK

Hey guys!! I haven't been on Modaco in about 13 months! . After a brief stint with the Vowney V5 i finally caved and bought the one plus one :). For anyone thinking of getting a new phone i would highly recommend it. I have yet to find a fault with this phone!

Excellent, enjoy it !

Guest Maringer

Not personally.

If I were you, I'd wait for a few full reviews of the P7000 before buying one.

Here's a preview from Gizchina which indicates the phones has some good and some bad points. It will be interesting to see if any software updates before the final review brings any improvements:

http://www.gizchina.com/2015/06/04/elephone-p7000-benchmarks-photos-and-impressions-after-a-few-days/

Guest bryfly

Anyone here got or getting the elephone p7000?

Was thinking about it but managed to get a $40 discount on the Mlais M7 via their Facebook page.

Guest apple2005

Anyone has bought Lenovo K3 note? Can anyone tell something about this phone. I want to buy one for my relative. Thanks.

Anyone has bought Lenovo K3 note? Can anyone tell something about this phone. I want to buy one for my relative. Thanks.

I have one. See post #127 of this forum for details.

I'm still on AOSP v3 rom. Biggest issue for me is notification LED not working but I can live with that. It takes great photos and GPS works fine. Battery seems to run out quite quickly but I don't think the ROM has been optimised for battery performance. Don't get me wrong, I still get a good 1.5 days of use out of it but I guess I was expecting more. 

I'm on Three network and get 3g and 4g when available.

I made a similar post on xda forum that also lists ROM dev sites if you are interested.

Post #80 on this page: http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/development/ufficial-thread-lenovo-k3-note-t3102997/page8

Guest apple2005

I have one. See post #127 of this forum for details.

I'm still on AOSP v3 rom. Biggest issue for me is notification LED not working but I can live with that. It takes great photos and GPS works fine. Battery seems to run out quite quickly but I don't think the ROM has been optimised for battery performance. Don't get me wrong, I still get a good 1.5 days of use out of it but I guess I was expecting more.

I'm on Three network and get 3g and 4g when available.

I made a similar post on xda forum that also lists ROM dev sites if you are interested.

Post #80 on this page: http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/development/ufficial-thread-lenovo-k3-note-t3102997/page8

Thanks buddy for the feedback. I will buy the phone. It looks promising.

Guest Maringer

My plans to spend a few hundred quid on a phone from China have fallen by the wayside after I came across a great deal for a Huawei P8. Total cost including contract is £258 and, assuming I get cashback (which seems to be tracking), this will drop to just over £230 which includes a decent year's contract as well! (300 minutes, 5000 texts, 1GB 4G data). Ridiculously good deal.

Barring catastrophic damage, this phone ought to be good enough to keep me away from Chinese phones for a year or two so I'll not be active in this thread. I'll probably look back in from time to time as a matter of interest, just to see what is going around!