stock gb upgrade having baseband 109808

Guest tcris

Guest tcris

Hello everyone,

I have no prior experience with all this but I try to be (well) informed before I will attempt to do my upgrade from GB to latest CM11 / KK4.4.4.

I have a Huawei Ascend G300 (U8815) running stock 2.3.6, baseband 109808, build B894.

I understand the three main steps are: rooting -> install CWM -> install custom rom.

As far as I understand, my baseband 109808 comes with unlocked bootloader (only 2030 requires unlocking).

But reading this confused me: update baseband to 2030. Is that deprecated info? Should I use ICS/B952 update?

Here I don't see any mention about the baseband.

Is it really needed to update my baseband to 2030? if yes, how do I do it? (the B952 link on that page is dead).

And, not so important, why? (recent ROMs / CM11 handle both basebands, right?)

I want to understand what is the most clean/easy/up-to-date way to do this upgrade and not miss any steps required.

Thanks a lot for your help,

Chris

ps: are there any other issues I should be worried about? Hynix problem? anything else?
Edited by tcris

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dalyer

I understand the three main steps are: rooting -> install CWM -> install custom rom.

Correct.

As far as I understand, my baseband 109808 comes with unlocked bootloader (only 2030 requires unlocking).

Correct.

Is it really needed to update my baseband to 2030? if yes, how do I do it? (the B952 link on that page is dead).

And, not so important, why? (recent ROMs / CM11 handle both basebands, right?)

I don't think that you need to update the baseband but I can't remember the details at this stage.

But I'm pretty sure that it's difficult to totally brick the G300 at this stage.

If you are rooted and want to switch basebands (just in case) then this works:

http://www.modaco.com/topic/361310-downgrade-upgrade-from-recovery/

ps: are there any other issues I should be worried about? Hynix problem? anything else?

Hynix was supposedly only a problem with a specific kernel version as far as I recall.

I can't think of anything else offhand that you need to be aware of.

But as I said above if you have problems then there is most likely a solution.

• 2 months later...
Guest bameije

I started the exact same process to be able to put custom ROM on my Huawei Ascend G300 (U8815) running stock 2.3.6, baseband 109808.

I followed the steps on http://huaweig300.com/

But now I'm stuck at step 5 the baseband update to 2030 (ICS stock B952):

• I managed to find the Stock B952 Rom (nearly all links out there are broken)
  • The install worked fine
  • The phone has rebooted into the ICS Welcome! screen (where you can select language and press Start)
  • BUT I cannot press start, because it doesn't react to any touch input.

All physical buttons are fine and the screen rotates upon turning the device on it's side.

When I touch the screen, the home/back-buttons light up, so I'm sure it 'feels' my touches. Also: when I long press the Power button and the power dialog comes on, I cannot select these options obviously, but when I touch the screen two or three times, the dialog goes away. If I don't, it doesn't go away. So it must recognize the touches somehow.

So far I've tried:

• install other stock Rom (put on SDCard and reboot with battery out and press both UP DOWN buttons)
    • B952 installed again, same problem (only now it's in English, as the first time it came up in Malay (Indonesian), while I always had it in English and certainly dont understand Malay)
    • B958 install ok, same problem
    • B882 and B888 install failed -> Because these are a downgrade to Gingerbread?
  • boot into fastboot (reboot with DOWN button) to check bootloader using windows fastboot.exe: it's LOCKED. I've sent an email to Huawei to get the unlock code, hope that works.
  • connected a mouse to the usb port, but it doesnt work (no usb otg support I guess)

I cannot try any methods that require putting the phone in developer mode because I can't use the touch screen.

My hopes are that I get a response from Huawei, so I can unlock the bootloader, root and install Recovery (I think I found commands that can do this from Fastboot), and install some custom Roms.

Are there any ideas why the touch screen is not working? I found nobody with the same issue.

I must say, the touchscreen was a bit off before I started this, but it definitely worked ok (I touched 'update from sdcard' to start the update in the first place). Because it was off, I had tried some fishy recalibrate apps that didn't help a bit, maybe they destroyed some touch settings?

Thanks for your ideas!

Edited by bameije