Could we SIM unlock using Qualcomm tools?

Guest macbreakweeklyfan

Guest macbreakweeklyfan

Hello everyone. I seem to recall the ZTE "Skate" being unlocked by restoring a Qualcomm "QPST" suite .QCN backup file being restored to NVRAM (I take it that was a backup of NVRAM from an already unlocked phone, ergo the SIMlock was already clear). How do you think this would pan out for the SU6? It is a Qualcomm enabled phone, after all.

Many thanks. :)

Edited by macbreakweeklyfan

Guest KonstaT

IIRC the method was to erase CEFS which resulted in NV memory items getting messed up which again meant that you had to restore a NV backup with QPST.

My ZTE Open C / Kis 3 has Windows flash tools available. There's an option to 'erase CEFS' which is recommended when switching between Firefox OS and Android. Running the Windows flasher with this option also happens to SIM unlock the device...

Guest NegativeOne

Not to go off topic too much but would this unlock work to a smart prime? Having difficultly getting an unlock for that at the moment. 

Guest macbreakweeklyfan

IIRC the method was to erase CEFS which resulted in NV memory items getting messed up which again meant that you had to restore a NV backup with QPST.

My ZTE Open C / Kis 3 has Windows flash tools available. There's an option to 'erase CEFS' which is recommended when switching between Firefox OS and Android. Running the Windows flasher with this option also happens to SIM unlock the device...

Okay, would you mind translating those very specific acronyms and terminology into easily understandable, relatable language? lol. I may be a geek, but *extremely* specific toolsets and associated acronyms can't always be expected to be known by everyone, geek or not :)

Thanks.

Guest KonstaT

eMMC = embedded MMC, the whole internal flash storage - split into several partitions (/system, /data, bootloaders, modem, etc)
CEFS/EFS = eMMC partition(s) (modemst1, modemst2 on modern qcom devices) where important radio related data is stored
NV memory = Non-Volatile memory, on a separate chip outside eMMC(?) - holds IMEI, wifi/bt MAC addresses, etc
QPST = Qualcomm Product Service Tools - collection of extremely powerful tools for Qualcomm devices - proprietary and confidential

CEFS/NV/modem is pretty much a blackbox to me too, never really had to deal with this and there's really no way of knowing for sure either. I think normally modem reads data from CEFS instead of reading it directly from NV. If CEFS is wiped, it's regenerated from NV(?). But you might want to take all this with a grain of salt.

ZTE's Windows flashers do something with NV memory at 98% mark. If the flash fails at this point, device is left without IMEI. It's happened to dozens and dozens devices.

Edited by KonstaT

• 2 weeks later...