Ask MoDaCo: The WileyFox Swift

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

The Swift is the first device from UK based WileyFox, a company that shares a lot in common with fellow phone maker Kazam. Priced at £129, the Swift is the entry level device that sits below the mid-range £199 Storm. It packs a Snapdragon 410 processor, 16GB ROM, 2GB RAM, a 5" HD screen with Gorilla Glass 3 protection, dual SIM capability, a soft touch finish not altogether unlike OnePlus' 'Sandstone' and most interestingly - Cyanogen OS out of the box.

wileyfox.thumb.jpg.6a5d6d6a07e60f83e2cd5

The price puts it square up against the heavyweight of the mid range - the Moto G, so we're going to be putting it through its paces to see if its a worthy alternative. While we do so... we're taking your questions!

wileyfoxfront.thumb.png.baf082c4fdf1e7a1

View full item

Guest tsutton

* Snapdragon 410 processor - how does it compare with the 800 series? Any noticeable slowness?

* I'm assuming Google Play is supported out of box?

* NFC supported?

Thanks!

Guest macbreakweeklyfan

I would do ANYTHING in my power to NEVER support Cyanogenmod, nor anything even remotely related to it. Their CEO's arrogance is enough to repel me from them, even if their crappy OS wasn't as crappy as it is.

Never EVER.

How is your initial impression? 

Is it slow? Does it have a lot of bugs? Does Dual Sim work ok?

I'm asking because my Sony Xperia Z3 Dual worked so bad: it used to cut off calls mid-conversation to lose all network connectivity. I went back to the original Moto G dual sim (XT1033) for stability sake.

I want 4G, dual sim and a stable phone. Privacy settings on CyanogenOS is a bonus to me. Mine will arrive in a few days and if the software pleases me I might step up to the Wileyfox Storm as soon as it arrives.

Guest PaulOBrien

My Cyanogen, Dual SIM phone of choice right now would be the Zuk Z1, but that is a fair chunk more expensive than this (priced alongside the Storm)...

P

The Zuk Z1 doesn't support Band 20 LTE (800Mhz), which is the frequency with the best coverage in my home country (Netherlands).

Otherwise this would've been ideal indeed!

Guest BigsimonY

I'd like to know if the GPS works OK.  I own a umi zero, quit possibly the worse phone I've ever had.  It can't or won't rum Nokia Here, Google nav or Waze.  I used to use all 3 as my main sat nav.  I want to buy a storm when it's out, but the uncertainty over the GPS /possessor running previous apps is a deal breaker for me. 

Guest Voxpop2011

I quite like the look of this and the built in call blocking feature is an interesting idea.  However, I have read that Trucall is not especially robust. I am pleased to see that dual sim is becoming more available here in the UK as many people carry two handsets.

I don't know anything about Cyanogen or why Macbreakweekly is so damning about it.  'Pure Android' is one thing, but being rooted from the outset would be huge step up for me.  As there is no mention of rooting, I assume this handset doesn't have it.  I am disappointed to see that there is no proper case and this is a deal breaker for me.  In any event, I am still quite happy with my Moto g2 and I don't think there will be any resale value for the Wiley Fox.

Edited by Voxpop2011

• 1 month later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.