Lollipop USB OTG Failure - Tesco Response

Guest David441

Guest David441

As some have found OTG capability which worked perfectly under KitKat is lost on some units when upgraded to Lollipop.  Copied below is the response from Tesco Technical Support.  Comments from the gurus on here would be good,  I'd really like / need to get back this functionality.

"Thank you for your e-mail regarding your hudl.

It is possible to attach external USB devices to the hudl using an OTG cable. This cable would allow you to connect any USB device to the micro-USB port.

However this is a work around as these devices are designed to work with Windows and not Android.

OTG connections are not officially supported by Google and while some devices may work others may not.

If there is anything else I can help you with, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards"

Guest CPN200

Something to bear in mind about an OTG cable, it is simply an adaptor cable to change from the micro USB on the Hudl to a standard USB "A" type socket and has NO active electronics in it at all. This reply from Tesco seems to imply that part of the problem may be due to the OTG cable instead of the real culprit which will probably be either the Hudl's hardware or its firmware drivers or both...

USB devices don't just work "under Windows", they operate on ANY system that supports the various USB standards. Whether the OS is Windows, Android or even iOS is neither here nor there...

Guest CPN200

Anyone interested may like to go onto the Play Store and look for an app called "USB OTG Checker" which is a bit riddled with ads (as usual) but seems to do the job it's designed to do. Here are the results on my Hudl2...

First test (OS)...

Screenshot_2015-10-08-18-28-32.thumb.png

Second test (device plugged in, in my case a SanDisk 64Gb Dual USB drive connected directly via its micro USB plug...

Screenshot_2015-10-08-18-31-23.thumb.png

...and here's the storage screen just to back it up...

Screenshot_2015-10-08-18-32-05.thumb.png

Edited by CPN200

Guest CPN200

Interestingly when I run the same test on my Nexus 5 (v5.1.1 Android), I get the exact same first (green - pass) screen but the next one is red because it can't detect the signal even with the same usb drive plugged in. However, this is the same Nexus 5 that I can also plug my Logitech Wave 2.4 Wireless Keyboard and MX1100 mouse into and they both work a charm! I think that's conclusive proof that Google failed to install mass storage drivers in with the Android firmware on the Nexus 5.... (and some Hudl2's have them... at least mine anyway)

USB mass storage drivers are usually compiled as kernel modules, so if there is only one update available and it works on some HUDL2 machines then if all the hardware in the HUDL2's is the same then USB mass storage should work on every HUDL2.

• 1 month later...
Guest Stoneybridge

Hi all, just want to add a response from Tesco regarding this issue....might be of some interest 

We are aware of a small number of customer who have had issues with OTG after the update to Lollipop, and as such a fix is being worked on, but I am unable to advise when this will be deployed.

Sounds quite promising! I sent them a couple of emails and they were quite quick to respond, fairly decent customer service.

Screenshot_2015-11-16-09-21-24.png

Edited by Stoneybridge
Added screenshot

Guest oldscot

Hi all, just want to add a response from Tesco regarding this issue....might be of some interest 

Thanks for that update. I'll look forward to news that they have fixed it so that I can update to Lollipop (not that I'm that bothered since I actually prefer the look of Kitcat ).

Guest speakeasy

We are aware of a small number of customer who have had issues with OTG after the update to Lollipop, and as such a fix is being worked on, but I am unable to advise when this will be deployed.

Sounds quite promising! I sent them a couple of emails and they were quite quick to respond, fairly decent customer service.

Screenshot_2015-11-16-09-21-24.png

I've always found Tesco customer service to top notch.  They've resolved several issues I've had over the last couple of years, including one with a Hudl2.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ScepticalH

I'm less sanguine about a positive outcome. I also was advised that a fix was being worked on but I've since checked out the official Android specification for USB accessories. This states "An accessory that connects to an Android device through a USB cable must support the Android Open Accessory (AOA) protocol, which specifies how an accessory can establish communication with an Android device via USB. Due to the low power output of Android devices, AOA requires the accessory to act as a USB host, meaning the connecting accessory must power the bus."

This suggests that the ability under KitKat to power a mouse, keyboard or memory stick was off-spec, and those whose devices are still able to provide this functionality are the aberrations. To restore this to all Hudl 2 users would thus require a Tesco-specific modification to Lollipop. However, since it's been reported that " ... a number of key staff on the Hudl project, including its lead Android engineer and product managers, have left the business," I don't see it happening.