The Tesco Hudl project is dead

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

The Tesco Hudl and Hudl 2 devices were great tablets. The first generation over-delivered against people's expectations, despite having a Rockchip processor and plastic build, by virtue of its great screen and extremely competitive price point. The second generation went a step further with the same formula, this time packing an Intel chip and even getting upgraded recently to Lollipop, much to everyone's surprise. I come bearing bad news however - the Hudl project is dead and there will likely be no Hudl 3.

This information comes to us from a number of sources inside Tesco. Perhaps it was inevitable given the group's cost-cutting of late, but at the same time it feels like the Hudl should have been profitable. The culling of the Blinkbox and other content divisions the Hudl was designed to cross sell probably didn't help, but it's a sad day none the less.

We understand that all the big Hudl display ends in-store are going to be ripped out & replaced with areas promoting, of all things, Microsoft Surface! Remaining stock is being sold through and won't be replenished (maybe we'll see some bargains if unexpectedly the Christmas period doesn't completely exhaust stock). Tesco will also be removing Cameras and Sat Navs from stores.

We've reached out to Tesco for comment / official confirmation and will update here in due course.

A sad day I think - how do you feel, Hudl fans?

my_tombstone.thumb.jpg.41b85004264eabdf5

View full item

Guest macbreakweeklyfan

Why do people say "reached out" when they could just say "asked"? It means the same thing. Why is this "sad"? It's a mediocre tablet full of flaws with poor customer service and a greedy, cheapo company behind it - I hardly feel "sad" is the appropriate descriptor. Meh, life carries on.

Edited by macbreakweeklyfan

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Renegade1958

Not a happy Hudl user. I recently had problems with my Hudl 2. It was sent away and a week later the same problems. I am just out of the year guarantee and I am told not to get my hopes up about having it fixed or receiving a refund because of it. Why do these companies feel that they can mess people about like this???

Guest Christian Edwards

We've had a Hudl 1 and 3 Hudl 2s (for the kids) and they loved them, two got broken mores the pity because I need a replacement.

The Amazon fires are out because of the lack of Google Apps. What would people recommend now the Hudls are all gone?

• 1 month later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.