Jump to content
MrHudl2

Cannot update Hudl 2 to Lollipop after factory reset!

Recommended Posts

I seem to have created a problem for myself after attempting to follow advice on this site to do a factory reset before the Lollipop update!

I delayed updating my Hudl2 to Lollipop to wait until any issues were sorted - as covered extensitvely on this site.  It did the preparatory update some time ago and remained on bog standard (no root) Android 4.4.2 but I have been ignoring the "update available" star which I assume was the big Lollipop update.

Today I decided it was now safe to do the Lollipop update.  First I read the advice about factory resetting when updating to Lollipop on this forum in this post by "CPN200" and this comment by "Captain Cookster", seconded by "CPN200".  The second post suggested it is better to factory reset BEFORE the Lollipop update.  So I did this and factory reset my Hudl2 (backing everything up first).

But following the factory reset, there is no update available!  I've pressed "Check for Updates" and restarted a couple of times, but nothing is available and it just says "Your Hudl is up to date".  My Hudl2 is unchanged on 4.4.2 dated 29/5/15.

Do I just have to wait patiently for the update become available again "soon" or....???

Also, I'm now at an impasse: if I restore my apps and data again, then I'm back to square one and there was no point wiping it before the update.  If I wait and keep it in its virgin reset state, then I cannot use my (now app-less) Hudl 2 until the update appears again - if it ever does!  What gives?

Note: although I connected to WiFi, I haven't logged back in to my Google account yet, to avoid the possibility of Google starting to update my apps etc before I was ready (in case this is relevant?).

I did see a suggestion by "Robin0800" that the update(s) could be applied manually, but I couldn't see any instructions and I'm afraid this novice was lost at the words "can be applied by stock recovery", which that means nothing to me - and also the linked 30 pages+ topic was too technical for me, I'm afraid.

Any help and advice would be much appreciated, please!  I'm not an expert user and I'm not interesting in rooting etc - at least, not now.

Edited by MrHudl2
misspelled Lollipop!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll swap you. Send me your working 4.4.2 Hudl2 and I'll send my Lollipop Hudl2, then I get a machine I can root and you get a machine with Lollipop.

samac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting suggestion thanks, but not really what I was looking for!!  My hardware is very lightly used and I'd like to keep it!

Edited by MrHudl2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't have any real answer to offer accept to say that I've had updates disapear in the past and come back a day or so later, so I'd at least wait that long before doing anything.

After that, absent any better answer, put your apps back and if or when you do get the update settle for doing a factory reset after installing it. I sopposw you could ease installation by uninstalling all your apps first!

Edited by oldscot
Autocorrect!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, MrHudl2 said:

I seem to have created a problem for myself after attempting to follow advice on this site to do a factory reset before the Lollipop update!

I delayed updating my Hudl2 to Lollipop to wait until any issues were sorted - as covered extensitvely on this site.  It did the preparatory update some time ago and remained on bog standard (no root) Android 4.4.2 but I have been ignoring the "update available" star which I assume was the big Lollipop update.

Today I decided it was now safe to do the Lollipop update.  First I read the advice about factory resetting when updating to Lollipop on this forum in this post by "CPN200" and this comment by "Captain Cookster", seconded by "CPN200".  The second post suggested it is better to factory reset BEFORE the Lollipop update.  So I did this and factory reset my Hudl2 (backing everything up first)

Please re-read my first post again noting the operative word "after"...

As regards my "second" or endorsement post, I was agreeing with the main subject matter in the 1st and last sentences really...

In any event, your Hudl should eventually catch up. This may take days or weeks. It's a bit haphazard like that...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, samac said:

Slightly tongue in cheek suggestion, but IMHO you are better off keeping the Hudl2 on KitKat.

samac

On second thoughts I agree, that's what I'm doing because a) I don't want to loose OTG and b) having L on a couple of other devices I actually prefer KitKat (though i have CM12 on my kindle fire and thats pretty cool).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also had this issue.

15 hours ago, MrHudl2 said:

I seem to have created a problem for myself after attempting to follow advice on this site to do a factory reset before the Lollipop update!

I delayed updating my Hudl2 to Lollipop to wait until any issues were sorted - as covered extensitvely on this site.  It did the preparatory update some time ago and remained on bog standard (no root) Android 4.4.2 but I have been ignoring the "update available" star which I assume was the big Lollipop update.

Today I decided it was now safe to do the Lollipop update.  First I read the advice about factory resetting when updating to Lollipop on this forum in this post by "CPN200" and this comment by "Captain Cookster", seconded by "CPN200".  The second post suggested it is better to factory reset BEFORE the Lollipop update.  So I did this and factory reset my Hudl2 (backing everything up first).

But following the factory reset, there is no update available!  I've pressed "Check for Updates" and restarted a couple of times, but nothing is available and it just says "Your Hudl is up to date".  My Hudl2 is unchanged on 4.4.2 dated 29/5/15.

Do I just have to wait patiently for the update become available again "soon" or....???

Also, I'm now at an impasse: if I restore my apps and data again, then I'm back to square one and there was no point wiping it before the update.  If I wait and keep it in its virgin reset state, then I cannot use my (now app-less) Hudl 2 until the update appears again - if it ever does!  What gives?

Note: although I connected to WiFi, I haven't logged back in to my Google account yet, to avoid the possibility of Google starting to update my apps etc before I was ready (in case this is relevant?).

I did see a suggestion by "Robin0800" that the update(s) could be applied manually, but I couldn't see any instructions and I'm afraid this novice was lost at the words "can be applied by stock recovery", which that means nothing to me - and also the linked 30 pages+ topic was too technical for me, I'm afraid.

Any help and advice would be much appreciated, please!  I'm not an expert user and I'm not interesting in rooting etc - at least, not now.

I was having similar issues to this.  I had the update available but when i clicked it, it appeared to install but after checking it was still on kitkat 4.4.2

I waited many weeks with the same message stating it was upto date, after thinking i was left in the dark, someone on the root hudl section posted the over the air update files about halfway down the page.  http://www.modaco.com/forums/topic/373642-how-to-root-your-hudl-2/?page=29

What i did was paste them to a micro sd card, then enter the recovery menu on the hudl2 and chose the update from sd option. 

I hope this helps you.

Cglev.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cglev said:

I also had this issue.

I was having similar issues to this.  I had the update available but when i clicked it, it appeared to install but after checking it was still on kitkat 4.4.2

I waited many weeks with the same message stating it was upto date, after thinking i was left in the dark, someone on the root hudl section posted the over the air update files about halfway down the page.  http://www.modaco.com/forums/topic/373642-how-to-root-your-hudl-2/?page=29

What i did was paste them to a micro sd card, then enter the recovery menu on the hudl2 and chose the update from sd option. 

I hope this helps you.

Cglev.

Thank you, that's very interesting.  So it can be done directly from the SD card without connecting to a computer or anything like that?  I was afraid to tackle that with my limited knowledge.  (I've already discovered that a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing!).  So can you be more specific about the exact procedure involved please?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, MrHudl2 said:

Thank you, that's very interesting.  So it can be done directly from the SD card without connecting to a computer or anything like that?  I was afraid to tackle that with my limited knowledge.  (I've already discovered that a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing!).  So can you be more specific about the exact procedure involved please?

 

No problem.  What you need to do is first check what Build version you are running by going into settings then About and go down to the bottom and check Build number.

if you are on 20150529.110309 you need to install the small update first then the larger Lollipop update.  if you are on 20150803.092218 just install the large Lollipop update both from the link i showed in previous post.

To install them first download the files and paste them directly onto your SD card exactly as you Downloaded them and put the card back in the Hudl. 

Next switch off your hudl. 

Hold the volume up button and power until you get to the recovery menu. 

Once there use the volume button to scroll to (apply update from external storage) and use the power button to select. 

After that you will need to find the appropriate update file on the card and select it. 

Then just let it install and you will be on Lollipop and all your files should still remain intact.

I would recommend leaving it on charge or make sure it is fully charged.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, cglev said:

No problem.  What you need to do is first check what Build version you are running by going into settings then About and go down to the bottom and check Build number.

if you are on 20150529.110309 you need to install the small update first then the larger Lollipop update.  if you are on 20150803.092218 just install the large Lollipop update both from the link i showed in previous post.

To install them first download the files and paste them directly onto your SD card exactly as you Downloaded them and put the card back in the Hudl. 

Next switch off your hudl. 

Hold the volume up button and power until you get to the recovery menu. 

Once there use the volume button to scroll to (apply update from external storage) and use the power button to select. 

After that you will need to find the appropriate update file on the card and select it. 

Then just let it install and you will be on Lollipop and all your files should still remain intact.

I would recommend leaving it on charge or make sure it is fully charged.

Thanks cglev - your detailed steps are much appreciated.  If no updates appears OTA soon, then I'll give this a go.

Just to be absolutely clear, can you please confirm:

  1. My Hudl 2 current build no is "KOT49H.rel.android-build.20150529.110309 release-keys".  So I need to run the small update (to take it to 20150803.092218) followed by the large Lollipop update (to take it to 20150917.142239) - is that correct?
  2. the update files go in the root directory of the SD card - is that right?
  3. does it matter if the SD card has other stuff on it, or should it be wiped?
  4. are there any risks in updating this way?

Excuse my extreme caution but I don't want to foul this up!

Many thanks once again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, MrHudl2 said:

Thanks cglev - your detailed steps are much appreciated.  If no updates appears OTA soon, then I'll give this a go.

Just to be absolutely clear, can you please confirm:

  1. My Hudl 2 current build no is "KOT49H.rel.android-build.20150529.110309 release-keys".  So I need to run the small update (to take it to 20150803.092218) followed by the large Lollipop update (to take it to 20150917.142239) - is that correct?
  2. the update files go in the root directory of the SD card - is that right?
  3. does it matter if the SD card has other stuff on it, or should it be wiped?
  4. are there any risks in updating this way?

Excuse my extreme caution but I don't want to foul this up!

Many thanks once again.

You're welcome. Yes that is correct, I believe the small file is just a preparation for lollipop but as long as they are done in order you will be fine.

I was worried about risking it too as there was no info on doing this. 

Just be patient with it and follow the prompts on screen and you will be good to go. 

In regards to the SD card, paste the files to the root directory.  it is fine if it contains other data as it won't erase anything.

As with anything there is always a small risk, but if you make sure you are fully charged, follow the prompts and don't interrupt it whilst it's installing, you will be fine. 

I would always prefer to update this way, it's just tesco won't release the files directly.

I'm pleased I updated mine as I find it much more stable than it was on kitkat.

Pleased I can help. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, cglev said:

You're welcome. Yes that is correct, I believe the small file is just a preparation for lollipop but as long as they are done in order you will be fine.

I was worried about risking it too as there was no info on doing this. 

Just be patient with it and follow the prompts on screen and you will be good to go. 

In regards to the SD card, paste the files to the root directory.  it is fine if it contains other data as it won't erase anything.

As with anything there is always a small risk, but if you make sure you are fully charged, follow the prompts and don't interrupt it whilst it's installing, you will be fine. 

I would always prefer to update this way, it's just tesco won't release the files directly.

I'm pleased I updated mine as I find it much more stable than it was on kitkat.

Pleased I can help. 

Well I got there in the end!  Many, many thanks "cglev" for your patient advice and reassurance.  I ran the two updates from the SD card as per your instructions (on my unrooted Hudl 2 which was on Android 4.4.2).  The update process itself worked fine and was surprisingly quick (presumably because I'd wiped my Hudl 2 beforehand).  But the before and after stages were anything but straightforward for two reasons, which I'll describe in case they help anyone else:

RECOVERY MODE:
I really struggled to get my Hudl 2 into recovery mode, for both the small and large updates.  I tried holding the volume-up and power buttons for different lengths of time, but it kept going into normal startup or just showing a black screen (but not "Off").  The only way I managed it in the end was by holding the buttons until "Powered by Android" had appeared and then disappeared (after about 10 sec), with a black screen doing nothing; then pressed and held the two buttons again, which again generated "Powered by Android"; only after this had disappeared for the second time did the recovery menu finally appear.

GOOGLE BACKUP/RESTORE:
It didn't work!  Well, not properly.  (And yes, the backups were switched on from day one!).  Even though if offered to restore and showed me my list of about 100 previously downloaded apps to choose from, it only installed about ten and then just stopped.  It also failed to restore my desktop and icon placeholders, instead restoring that stupid motorhome-in-a-field wallpaper from Kitkat and the default Tesco icons.  Maybe the factory resets I did along the way confused it.  But the total lack of control which Google gives users over the process and over which backup to restore, and the inability to view the contents of previous backups meant there was nothing I could do about it until it was too late.  So I would say to others: don't rely on Google backup alone!

So it was back to DIY basics with the simple but reliable "App List Backup" app (I remembered to back up the exported list of installed apps), plus manual backups of APK files I had kept of old but incredibly useful apps no longer on the Play store using MyBackupPro.  It has taken hours and I still haven't finished, but at least it made me weed out the apps I no longer need!

Now I'm trying to get used to Lollipop (first time I've used it).  It's like I've got a new device, with the usual irritations!  Why the white backgrounds for all the menus and settings?  (I like white-on-black.)  Why does it now take at least three actions to open Settings from the top menu?  But I can see that some other things are cleaner or work better, eg recent apps ("square" soft button) - oh, and Dolby has returned!

Anyway, thanks again.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, MrHudl2 said:

Well I got there in the end!  Many, many thanks "cglev" for your patient advice and reassurance.  I ran the two updates from the SD card as per your instructions (on my unrooted Hudl 2 which was on Android 4.4.2).  The update process itself worked fine and was surprisingly quick (presumably because I'd wiped my Hudl 2 beforehand).  But the before and after stages were anything but straightforward for two reasons, which I'll describe in case they help anyone else:

RECOVERY MODE:
I really struggled to get my Hudl 2 into recovery mode, for both the small and large updates.  I tried holding the volume-up and power buttons for different lengths of time, but it kept going into normal startup or just showing a black screen (but not "Off").  The only way I managed it in the end was by holding the buttons until "Powered by Android" had appeared and then disappeared (after about 10 sec), with a black screen doing nothing; then pressed and held the two buttons again, which again generated "Powered by Android"; only after this had disappeared for the second time did the recovery menu finally appear.

GOOGLE BACKUP/RESTORE:
It didn't work!  Well, not properly.  (And yes, the backups were switched on from day one!).  Even though if offered to restore and showed me my list of about 100 previously downloaded apps to choose from, it only installed about ten and then just stopped.  It also failed to restore my desktop and icon placeholders, instead restoring that stupid motorhome-in-a-field wallpaper from Kitkat and the default Tesco icons.  Maybe the factory resets I did along the way confused it.  But the total lack of control which Google gives users over the process and over which backup to restore, and the inability to view the contents of previous backups meant there was nothing I could do about it until it was too late.  So I would say to others: don't rely on Google backup alone!

So it was back to DIY basics with the simple but reliable "App List Backup" app (I remembered to back up the exported list of installed apps), plus manual backups of APK files I had kept of old but incredibly useful apps no longer on the Play store using MyBackupPro.  It has taken hours and I still haven't finished, but at least it made me weed out the apps I no longer need!

Now I'm trying to get used to Lollipop (first time I've used it).  It's like I've got a new device, with the usual irritations!  Why the white backgrounds for all the menus and settings?  (I like white-on-black.)  Why does it now take at least three actions to open Settings from the top menu?  But I can see that some other things are cleaner or work better, eg recent apps ("square" soft button) - oh, and Dolby has returned!

Anyway, thanks again.

Im glad it worked for you. 

I must admit the new design threw me off a bit too, but after re-arranging all the app icons im getting used to it. 

I agree that the recovery menu seems a little hit and miss, but at least you got there in the end. Sorry to hear the backup wasnt working great though, but at least you get to customise everything to your liking. 

Hopefully this thread will help others too.

You're welcome, always happy to help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.