OEM Bootloader Unlock

Guest flurry

Guest flurry

My partner bought a Smart Ultra 6 some months ago and I'm now considering doing the same. Whilst looking through the developer options menu on hers (running 5.1.1) I noticed there's an option for "OEM Unlocking - allow the bootloader to be unlocked". Is unlocking the bootloader as straight forward as enabling this setting then unlocking the bootloader via fastboot?

Guest femilovechild

Simple answer, no. Boot loader cannot be unlocked. Some say it's not locked, just crippled. Either way, what you see is what you get. Until ZTE has a change of heart towards properly unlocking the boot loader.

Guest KonstaT
20 hours ago, flurry said:

My partner bought a Smart Ultra 6 some months ago and I'm now considering doing the same. Whilst looking through the developer options menu on hers (running 5.1.1) I noticed there's an option for "OEM Unlocking - allow the bootloader to be unlocked". Is unlocking the bootloader as straight forward as enabling this setting then unlocking the bootloader via fastboot?

I don't think anyone has actually tried this. This option was added in the 5.1.1 update. On 5.0.2 device didn't accept any fastboot commands when booted into bootloader (even 'fastboot reboot' returns failed).

20 hours ago, femilovechild said:

Simple answer, no. Boot loader cannot be unlocked. Some say it's not locked, just crippled. Either way, what you see is what you get. Until ZTE has a change of heart towards properly unlocking the boot loader.

It's not 'locked' in sense that it doesn't verify signature on boot/recovery images you're booting. It's 'locked' (or crippled) in sense that it doesn't accept any fastboot commands. Also the system/boot write protection is implemented somewhere on bootloader level. That's a pretty locked down device if you ask me...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Textman
On 10/01/2016 at 10:27 AM, KonstaT said:

I don't think anyone has actually tried this. This option was added in the 5.1.1 update. On 5.0.2 device didn't accept any fastboot commands when booted into bootloader (even 'fastboot reboot' returns failed).

It's not 'locked' in sense that it doesn't verify signature on boot/recovery images you're booting. It's 'locked' (or crippled) in sense that it doesn't accept any fastboot commands. Also the system/boot write protection is implemented somewhere on bootloader level. That's a pretty locked down device if you ask me...

So basically, unless someone does the impossible and modified the bootloader, the locked devices are screwed. 

• 1 year later...
Guest KonstaT
43 minutes ago, conorf50 said:

Sorry to post in such an old thread but I found something which may help...

http://mytabletguru.com/how-to-flash-qualcomm-cpu/
https://forum.xda-developers.com/redmi-note-3/how-to/modified-emmc-file-unlocking-bootloader-t3358486

What are the chances of something like this being possible for the Smart Ultra 6?

Bootloader is not locked in the traditional sense (in that case it wouldn't be even possible to boot TWRP and custom ROMs).

On 1/10/2016 at 11:27 AM, KonstaT said:

I've heard system write protection was removed with Marsmallow update. Have anyone even tried to execute any fastboot commands after the update?

Guest KonstaT
9 hours ago, conorf50 said:

Is FTM mode fastboot? Because if it is, the phone doesn't even show up

FTM is Factory Test Mode. I have no idea what bootloader looks like on this device but on most ZTE devices it just displays the splash screen. If fastboot doesn't recognize device at all ('fastboot devices' returns nothing) it only means you haven't got the right drivers installed (or udev rules set).

Enable developer options (Settings -> About phone -> Click 'Build number' several times)
Enable USB debugging and OEM unlocking (Settings -> Developer options -> Android debugging & Settings -> Developer options -> OEM unlocking)
'adb reboot bootloader'
'fastboot devices' (install proper drivers if doesn't return anything)
'fastboot oem device-info', 'fastboot oem unlock', 'fastboot boot twrp.img', 'fastboot reboot', etc

Edited by KonstaT

Guest lapist

I tried that, but it seems I am unable to reboot into the bootloader. I have both USB debugging and OEM unlocking enabled. When I do 'adb reboot bootloader' (or select "Reboot bootloader" from Flashify), the phone just reboots and starts the system normally.

When I try "fastboot devices" when the phone is started, it doesn't return anything.

I am using MM with root and TWRP (upgraded to MM from TWRP as suggested here, not using OTA).

Guest conorf50
18 hours ago, lapist said:

I tried that, but it seems I am unable to reboot into the bootloader. I have both USB debugging and OEM unlocking enabled. When I do 'adb reboot bootloader' (or select "Reboot bootloader" from Flashify), the phone just reboots and starts the system normally.

When I try "fastboot devices" when the phone is started, it doesn't return anything.

I am using MM with root and TWRP (upgraded to MM from TWRP as suggested here, not using OTA).

Even if you reboot to the bootloader while in recovery, the phone just boots normally. 
There does not seem to be an accessible fastboot mode on this phone, ZTE have it locked down.
Fairly sure the OEM unlocking does nothing.