Ask MoDaCo: The Honor 5X is now on sale for £169.99 after discount

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

The Honor 5X UK pricing has finally been revealed - Honor's attack on the mid-range market (or is it the low end market? It's hard to tell with the Honor 7 being such good value too!) has a RRP of £189.99, but will currently set you back just £169.99 and you'll also get a £10 voucher for a future vMall purchase too. The handset is available in silver (with a white front) and grey (with a black front) now, with an all-gold version shipping next week. We have the gold version in the MoDaCo offices now, so we're ready to take your questions!

A reminder of the specs for you...

• Android 5.1 + EMUI 3.1 (Marshmallow + EMUI 4 update to follow)
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon 616
  • 16GB ROM
  • 2GB RAM
  • Dedicated microSD slot (up to 128GB)
  • 5.5" Full HD (1920x1080)IPS display
  • 13 Megapixel rear camera
  • 5 Megapixel front camera
  • 4G: LTE 800/900/1800/2100/2600 MHz
  • 3G: 900/1900/2100 MHz
  • GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
  • Dual SIM (1 x Micro, 1 x Nano)
  • Bluetooth: 4.1
  • Wifi: 802.11 b/g/n
  • Micro-USB
  • GPS/AGPS + GLONASS
  • Fingerprint sensor
  • Accelerometer, Ambient Light Sensor, Digital Compass, Hall sensor, Proximity sensor
  • 3000 mAh battery
  • Metal construction
  • 151.3 x 76.3 x 8.15 mm

Pretty impressive for the price eh?

Three have also just announced that they will have a UK network contract exclusive on the device and will have the 5X on sale from the 12th February (colour options TBC).

Head on over to Vmall to buy, and visit this topic (in the new Honor 5X forum!) to ask any questions - we'll endeavour to answer them for you!

5xback.png.e6c8cc04b1c41649f8cca16332c75

View full item

Guest Alex (nedge2k)

Quite a lot of phone for the money! What's it actually like build and lag wise? Screen in daylight? Viewing angles? Camera? Fingerprint reader any good, wiil it use marshmallow APIs when it becomes available or stick to proprietary solution? That enough? :P

Guest The Soup Thief

So, you've 170 quid. Do you buy this or the Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 and have 40-50 quid over for sweets?

The processors are reportedly comparable, though you might know better. Comparable memory (options on 32gb with the Xiaomi.

Pros I can see for the Honor 5x are a better screen (1080p v 720p - also I think the Honor is half an inch bigger), also you get a fingerprint scanner. Some degree of UK support, which has to count for something.

The Redmi Note has a considerably bigger battery,  IR blaster, costs a lot less (though you may get hit with duty, which still brings it in cheaper).

Honor phone looks nice, but the Xiaomi ain't too shabby from where I'm sitting. You have both in your massive box of telephones - which is better? FIGHT!

Also Paul, what's going on with no updates on Modaco for months then loads in a day?  

Guest PaulOBrien
On 2/4/2016 at 6:26 PM, Alex (nedge2k) said:

Quite a lot of phone for the money! What's it actually like build and lag wise? Screen in daylight? Viewing angles? Camera? Fingerprint reader any good, wiil it use marshmallow APIs when it becomes available or stick to proprietary solution? That enough? :P

A little bit of lag, I suspect the build can be optimised a little bit. Screen is very good, camera is good enough and the fingerprint reader is excellent. The fingerprint reader WILL use Marshmallow APIs when it gets updated (like the Honor 7 M Beta does).

P

Guest PaulOBrien
On 2/5/2016 at 3:13 PM, The Soup Thief said:

So, you've 170 quid. Do you buy this or the Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 and have 40-50 quid over for sweets?

The processors are reportedly comparable, though you might know better. Comparable memory (options on 32gb with the Xiaomi.

Pros I can see for the Honor 5x are a better screen (1080p v 720p - also I think the Honor is half an inch bigger), also you get a fingerprint scanner. Some degree of UK support, which has to count for something.

The Redmi Note has a considerably bigger battery,  IR blaster, costs a lot less (though you may get hit with duty, which still brings it in cheaper).

Honor phone looks nice, but the Xiaomi ain't too shabby from where I'm sitting. You have both in your massive box of telephones - which is better? FIGHT!

I wouldn't buy the Redmi Note 3 over this necessarily, but the Redmi Note 3 Pro (the Snapdragon 650 one) has considerably better performance. What you get with the 5X over the Xiaomis is a UK warranty - and that's worth a lot to some people!

Both have 1080P screens, both have a fingerprint reader.

They are actually very similar phones!

On 2/5/2016 at 3:13 PM, The Soup Thief said:

Also Paul, what's going on with no updates on Modaco for months then loads in a day?  

Just a ton of stuff on of late. Regular service will be resumed very soon, I'm also looking for contributors who can help with news. :)

P

Guest PaulOBrien
On 2/5/2016 at 9:39 PM, hecatae said:

I cant see any reason to go for this over a Wileyfox Swift

Swift? As in the cheaper one? LOTS of reasons! Or do you mean the Storm?

P

Guest PaulOBrien
11 hours ago, The Soup Thief said:

Crumbs! 

That Redmi Note 3 Pro can be had for less than £150 delivered (albeit slowly). Plus you might end up paying duty. Fwiw, when I've bought dodgy products from Aliexpress I've been surprised how good the aftersales care has been 
http://s.aliexpress.com/ieIz6nYR

Or £193 with faster delivery and guaranteed no duty...

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Original-Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-3-Pro-Snapdragon-650-Hexa-Core-5-5-3GB-RAM-32GB-ROM/342812_32597684693.html

P

• 4 weeks later...
Guest PaulOBrien
On 2/9/2016 at 7:30 PM, sushiewushie said:

They're quite right that 'EMUI 3.1 is a mixed bag', however a lot of the things the flag as problems (no app drawer, changed icons) are pretty easily changeable, such is the beauty of Android.

P

• 1 year later...