[RECOVERY] TWRP 3.0.2-0 for Nexbox A95X

Guest KonstaT

Guest KonstaT

This is my build of Dees-Troy's Team Win Recovery Project (TWRP) 3.0.2-0 for Nexbox A95X (Amlogic S905 with Android 5.1) TV box. You need to connect a mouse to your device to use this recovery.

Do not mirror my builds! Please post a link to this page instead.

recovery-twrp3020-nexbox_a95x.img
http://konstakang.com/devices/nexbox_a95x/TWRP
md5:ae69ee66d014d5a1229c747107aaeca2

recovery-twrp-3.0.2-0-nexbox_a95x.zip (TWRP/stock recovery flashable)
md5:64881a9061fb0149c709d94ce38fac81

This device is rooted out-of-the-box and it has unlocked bootloader. Stock recovery also allows flashing zips that are signed with generic test key. I haven't found a way to use adb when connected with an USB cable. There's no way to boot the device into bootloader to use fastboot either. There's still about a dozen ways to install TWRP - here's a few.

Booting from SD card:
1. Download recovery-twrp3020-nexbox_a95x.img and rename it as recovery.img
2. Copy TWRP recovery.img to the root of your external SD card
3. Power down your device
4. Power up your device by pressing (and holding) reset button found in AV port (use a thin non-metal object - e.g. toothpick, plastic straw, etc)
5. Your device will boot into TWRP
6. Use TWRP to install the recovery flashable TWRP zip or use TWRP's 'flash image' option to install the TWRP recovery.img
7. Reboot recovery

Using stock recovery:
1. Download recovery-twrp-3.0.2-0-nexbox_a95x.zip and copy it to your external SD card or USB stick
2. Power down your device
3. Power up your device by pressing (and holding) reset button found in AV port (use a thin non-metal object - e.g. toothpick, plastic straw, etc)
4. Select 'apply update from EXT' -> 'update from sdcard/udisk' -> recovery-twrp-3.0.2-0-nexbox_a95x.zip
5. Reboot recovery

Using shell:
1. Download recovery-twrp3020-nexbox_a95x.img and rename it as recovery.img
2. Copy TWRP recovery.img to your internal storage, external SD card, or USB stick
3. Open e.g. Terminal Emulator and change into the directory you saved the TWRP recovery.img (/sdcard, /storage/sdcard1, or /storage/udisk0, respectively)
4. Execute following commands

su
dd if=recovery.img of=/dev/block/recovery

5. Reboot recovery

How to install proper root management:
1. Download SuperSU zip and copy it to your device's sdcards or USB stick
2. Boot to TWRP recovery
3. Install SuperSU zip in TWRP

How to restore stock recovery:
1. Download zip below and use any of the methods described above
2. Reboot recovery

recovery-stock-NEXBOX-A95X-201608151721.zip
md5:62477d5abc1872e5e40e56de30baf054

recovery-stock-NEXBOX-A95X-201606282036.zip
md5:d536cf298d3b578bcab49a33b2f142a3

Sources:

Like my work?
btn_donate_LG.gif
Edited by KonstaT

Guest KonstaT
3 hours ago, Mr.comdom said:

Is this recovery for a95x android 6.0.1 ram 2gb rom8gb?

No. This is for the original Nexbox A95X with S905 chipset (yours has S905X).

Guest avatar97

Hi Konsta T !

I have the new Nexbox A95X version, (S905X with 2GB ram & 16 GB internal storage).

Is it possible to only load the TWRP recovery, (without install it), and after that install the SUPERSU.zip flash ROOT ?

Asking this because I need desperately a ROOT that really works with this box... :-) (the original ROOT has problems with several applications that needs ROOT privileges).

And finally, is it possible in the near future to have any TWRP recovery update for this new A95X, (S905X - 2GB/16GB), box to allow do backup and restore system images ?

Waiting for your trusty feedback !

Regards,

Carlos C

Guest KonstaT
18 hours ago, avatar97 said:

Hi Konsta T !

I have the new Nexbox A95X version, (S905X with 2GB ram & 16 GB internal storage).

Is it possible to only load the TWRP recovery, (without install it), and after that install the SUPERSU.zip flash ROOT ?

Asking this because I need desperately a ROOT that really works with this box... :-) (the original ROOT has problems with several applications that needs ROOT privileges).

And finally, is it possible in the near future to have any TWRP recovery update for this new A95X, (S905X - 2GB/16GB), box to allow do backup and restore system images ?

Waiting for your trusty feedback !

Regards,

Carlos C

You just need someone to build TWRP for your device. I don't have that device so there's nothing in it for me.

There's no reason why backup/restore/installing zips wouldn't work like on any other device.

Guest avatar97

In A95X, (a905s model), the recovery area does not have the BACKUP and RESTORE options.

You can "restore" ZIP images, but can´t restore an image maid by a previous BACKUP like in TWRP or CWM.

Take a look on the attached screen capture of the new A95X recovery area, there are no option for BACKUP or RESTORE a previous BACKUP image.

You can only apply UPDATES in ZIP format.IMG_8450_resize.JPG

Guest KonstaT
37 minutes ago, avatar97 said:

In A95X, (a905s model), the recovery area does not have the BACKUP and RESTORE options.

You can "restore" ZIP images, but can´t restore an image maid by a previous BACKUP like in TWRP or CWM.

Take a look on the attached screen capture of the new A95X recovery area, there are no option for BACKUP or RESTORE a previous BACKUP image.

You can only apply UPDATES in ZIP format.

That's the stock recovery - it's not even supposed to have such options. You asked if it was possible to backup/restore in TWRP and I said yes, like on any other device.

Edited by KonstaT

Guest avatar97

I know it is possible, as I use TWRP on all my other android devices...

What I can't do with this stock recovery is to flash SUPERSU.ZIP, (tried several versions), with the "Apply update from EXT" option.

Always fail to reflash any newer ROOT patch...

I was thinking in try to use an android app to root inside the connected phone like FRAMAROOT.

What do you think about this ? It will work ?

Guest KonstaT
35 minutes ago, avatar97 said:

I know it is possible, as I use TWRP on all my other android devices...

What I can't do with this stock recovery is to flash SUPERSU.ZIP, (tried several versions), with the "Apply update from EXT" option.

Always fail to reflash any newer ROOT patch...

I was thinking in try to use an android app to root inside the connected phone like FRAMAROOT.

What do you think about this ? It will work ?

Either SuperSU zip is not signed with generic test key (signature verification error) or stock recovery is missing tools (busybox) that SuperSU installation script uses.

IMO you shouldn't try to modify your system if you don't have means to restore it to the original condition (nandroid backup or factory image).

Edited by KonstaT

Guest avatar97

My main problem is that A95X "Fake Root",  does not  work with most applications that needs Root privileges, like Titanium Backup, Busybox, AdAway, Nandroid Backup, and so many others...

Any advice on how to get SuperSU with generic test key to work with this stock A95X recovery ?

Guest KonstaT
44 minutes ago, avatar97 said:

Any advice on how to get SuperSU with generic test key to work with this stock A95X recovery ?

IMO not worth it. You'd need to create a 'custom' stock recovery (add missing symlinks to /sbin/busybox).

You can make TWRP image for your device for a lot less work than that. Dump boot/recovery partitions from your device and check the sources for this build I've linked in the OP. Basically you just need to use kernel/dt/modules/executables from your device and check that fstab entries match.

Edited by KonstaT

Guest avatar97

To dump it I must have the box connected to my PC and use SP FLASH TOOL right ?

This box can be read directly by PC ?

If so, I must have a male to male USB cable.

Anyway, thanks again for your advice !

Guest KonstaT
28 minutes ago, avatar97 said:

To dump it I must have the box connected to my PC and use SP FLASH TOOL right ?

This box can be read directly by PC ?

If so, I must have a male to male USB cable.

Anyway, thanks again for your advice !

SP Flash Tool is for MediaTek devices so most definitely not that one. I don't know if you can dump/backup something with the Amlogic USB Burn Tool (never used it myself).

I meant something simple with dd since you already have root. In e.g. Terminal Emulator:

su
dd if=/dev/block/boot of=/sdcard/boot.img
dd if=/dev/block/recovery of=/sdcard/recovery.img

Guest avatar97

Sorry, you are right about SP Flash Tool ! (I had used it with my Neken N6 to resize the internal storage partition to 5.8GB instead the original factory size of 2GB).

My problem with Terminal Emulator is that it can't see the box as Rooted, as many other applications...

Can't understand... despite manufacturer states that this A95X, (S905X), box is Rooted, it didn't work with any application that needs Root privileges.

So, I cant even use the "SU" command in Terminal Emulator...

You can understand now why I am looking to Re-Root the box with a functional Root like SuperSU.

But the box recovery "Update from EXT" option gives always error when trying to Flash the SuperSU.zip file... :-(

Any help, will be welcome... :-)

Guest KonstaT
12 hours ago, avatar97 said:

Sorry, you are right about SP Flash Tool ! (I had used it with my Neken N6 to resize the internal storage partition to 5.8GB instead the original factory size of 2GB).

My problem with Terminal Emulator is that it can't see the box as Rooted, as many other applications...

Can't understand... despite manufacturer states that this A95X, (S905X), box is Rooted, it didn't work with any application that needs Root privileges.

So, I cant even use the "SU" command in Terminal Emulator...

You can understand now why I am looking to Re-Root the box with a functional Root like SuperSU.

But the box recovery "Update from EXT" option gives always error when trying to Flash the SuperSU.zip file... :-(

Any help, will be welcome... :-)

Well, then you simply don't have (and never had) root access. What does 'su' return in shell and what does 'id' return after that?

There's not much you can do without root access (to dump required partitions from the device) or without factory firmware image to extract boot/recovery.

Guest avatar97

But most curiously is that manufacturer as "Root Checker" App, confirms that the system is "Properly Rooted"...

But Titanium Backup as Busybox, refuses to work claiming that this same system is not Rooted...

However, Root Checker app, (that claims the system is already Rooted), can't find any SU binaries, strange mystery... :-)

Guest KonstaT
4 hours ago, avatar97 said:

But most curiously is that manufacturer as "Root Checker" App, confirms that the system is "Properly Rooted"...

But Titanium Backup as Busybox, refuses to work claiming that this same system is not Rooted...

However, Root Checker app, (that claims the system is already Rooted), can't find any SU binaries, strange mystery... :-)

No mystery. It either is or it isn't. ;)

6 hours ago, KonstaT said:

What does 'su' return in shell and what does 'id' return after that?

Guest avatar97

Sorry, I'm late...

Have a look below on the bellow images I uploaded...

1 - Root Checker info about Root

2 - Terminal Emulator SU return message

3 - Titanium Backup error message

4 - AdAway error message

5 - Busybox error message1 - Nexbox A95X_Root Checker.jpg2 - Terminal Emulator error.JPG3 - Titanium Backup error.JPG4 - AdAway error.JPG5 - Busybox error.JPG

Waiting for your feedback...

Guest KonstaT
8 hours ago, avatar97 said:

Sorry, I'm late...

Have a look below on the bellow images I uploaded...

Waiting for your feedback...

Very simple. You don't have su binary on your $PATH and there is no root access. If you'd also run 'id', you'd also seen exactly what user/group id terminal instance was running.

This is also getting completely off topic...

Guest alexinn63

Установил TWRP как написано выше на устройство с 2_16 gb. Не понял,что Ваша прошивка на устройство с 1_8 GB. Теперь не могу загрузиться в recovery. есть ли какое-то решение для этого случая.Как восстановить хотя бы стоковую?

Guest KonstaT
3 hours ago, alexinn63 said:

Установил TWRP как написано выше на устройство с 2_16 gb. Не понял,что Ваша прошивка на устройство с 1_8 GB. Теперь не могу загрузиться в recovery. есть ли какое-то решение для этого случая.Как восстановить хотя бы стоковую?

This is an English speaking forum!

This TWRP recovery image is meant for the original Nexbox A95X with Amlogic S905 and Android 5.1. AFAIK there's three versions of the newer Nexbox A95X with Amlogic S905X and Android 6.0 (1g8g, 2g8g, 2g16g). This is not meant for any of those devices!

You need to find stock recovery image for your device and install it the same you installed this TWRP image.

Guest avatar97

Hi, KonstaT !

I'm back...

Finally got the stock firmware image for the new Nexbox A95X, (s905x model) !

Can I count on you to help me with the TWRP porting for this new Nexbox model ?

Waiting for your feedback on the matter.

Regards,

Carlos C.

Guest KonstaT
On 8/25/2016 at 10:39 PM, avatar97 said:

Hi, KonstaT !

I'm back...

Finally got the stock firmware image for the new Nexbox A95X, (s905x model) !

Can I count on you to help me with the TWRP porting for this new Nexbox model ?

Waiting for your feedback on the matter.

Regards,

Carlos C.

Yeah, I saw stock firmware posted for all three versions of the 905X variant. Sure, I'll help if you have some specific technical questions. I'm not going to hold anyone's hand or guide you through every step of the way (it would be a lot faster if I just did it myself instead). Read, learn, test, fail, succeed. Google search is your friend as always.

Edited by KonstaT