[DEV][ROM][28.1.] CyanogenMod 12.1 (Android 5.1.1) for Chuwi Vi10 Plus, Hi10 Plus, Hi10 Pro, Hibook, Hibook Pro & Hi12

Guest KonstaT

Guest Toni3402

Hi! Thank you for your work! Its Awesome! Can i ask you one thing? My usb-ethernet dongle dont work in CM12.1 on my HI12. Its look like r8152 kernel module missed in this ROM. And insmod dont work, because r8152.ko wich i found in internet is not signed(. Can you please compile signed module for this build?

Guest KonstaT
1 hour ago, Toni3402 said:

Hi! Thank you for your work! Its Awesome! Can i ask you one thing? My usb-ethernet dongle dont work in CM12.1 on my HI12. Its look like r8152 kernel module missed in this ROM. And insmod dont work, because r8152.ko wich i found in internet is not signed(. Can you please compile signed module for this build?

No, because there's no kernel source available for Hi12. Hi12 compatibility patch includes stock kernel and stock kernel modules because of this. Module signature is generated during the build and modules will match only that one specific kernel (which is actually great as a security feature - you can't load potentially malicious modules you 'found on the internet').

If I wanted to do that on my Vi10 Plus (which has kernel source available), I'd need to rebuild the kernel and all the modules. Can't build just one module afterwards, signature would mismatch anyway. (It would be of course easier just to build the USB_RTL8152 driver into the kernel vs. use a module).

My USB Ethernet adapter with USB_NET_DM9601 driver works OK, but I haven't tested it with stock kernel (there's really no way of knowing what defconfig was used to build the stock kernel). But reading this & this should give you some idea what hardware _should_ be supported if you want to try a different adapter.

Edited by KonstaT

Guest Toni3402

Thank for yor reply. I thought so, I just hoped that I did not fully understand the principle of compilation. I tried to compile the kernel that is attached in the topic header, but there are always errors when compiling. I tried many different instructions, but I could not eliminate these errors. I attach a screenshot of what dmesg shows when I plug the adapter into CM12.1. Its look like some setting missed? Or like i said module missed?

IMG_4598.JPG

Edited by Toni3402

Guest Toni3402

And thank for link, i think i buy one of adapters from defconfig, if i can not build kernel. Sorry for wasting your time, but i need some small guide to build kernel from your source, to understand what i do wrong. Thank you anyway.

Edited by Toni3402

Guest KonstaT

Thank for yor reply. I thought so, I just hoped that I did not fully understand the principle of compilation. I tried to compile the kernel that is attached in the topic header, but there are always errors when compiling. I tried many different instructions, but I could not eliminate these errors. I attach a screenshot of what dmesg shows when I plug the adapter into CM12.1. Its look like some setting missed? Or like i said module missed?

And thank for link, i think i buy one of adapters from defconfig, if i can not build kernel. Sorry for wasting your time, but i need some small guide to build kernel from your source, to understand what i do wrong. Thank you anyway.

Did you use the Cherry Trail kernel build env I've released and follow instructions there? Kernel built from that source doesn't of course have all the needeed drivers for Hi12 (touchscreen, audio, etc). Hi12 stock kernel likely doesn't have your USB_RTL8152 driver built in as my custom kernels don't have it either.

Edited by KonstaT

Guest Toni3402

What additional modules need to be activated for hi12? Can i use menuconfig? And how to put bzImage to boot.img? So many questions. Making build env now.

Edited by Toni3402

Guest KonstaT

What additional modules need to be activated for hi12? Can i use menuconfig? And how to put bzImage to boot.img? So many questions. Making build env now.

It doesn't work like that. You don't get fully working kernel for Hi12 from this source no matter what you enabled in defconfig. Required device drivers are just not there.

Google search for unpackbootimg/mkbootfs/mkbootimg for splitting/repacking boot.img.

Guest KonstaT
33 minutes ago, Toni3402 said:

Thanks for reply. Where I can get device drivers for hi12?

Ask Chuwi to release Linux kernel source for Hi12 as they are obligated by GPLv2. Good luck with that, though.

I have the Chuwi hi 10 plus Z8350, with dwindows 10 and android 5.1 (no remix), I did unlock, Root and recovery, I have been asking for a patron for two months without putting it on and it is impossible for me to go into recovery, I was thinking if I can install CM 12.1?, How?
I can install recovery directly (without unlocking) and from there to flash CM 12.1. I'm sorry for my English, it's a google translation.
regards

Tengo el Chuwi hola 10 más Z8350, con dwindows 10 y android 5.1 (no remix), hice desbloquear, Root y recuperación, he estado pidiendo un patrón durante dos meses sin ponerlo y es imposible para mí ir en recuperación, estaba pensando si puedo instalar CM 12.1 ?, ¿Cómo?
Puedo instalar la recuperación directamente (sin el desbloqueo) y de allí al flash CM 12.1. Lo siento por mi inglés, es una traducción de google.
Saludos

Edited by cayo
faltan detalles

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Toni3402

Hi again! I connect usb-ethernet adapter, set  dhcp-ip, dns, but apps still says that no network connection. Ping and nslookup works good. And one thing - can you give hi12 kernel defconfig from hi12 patch?

Guest KonstaT
7 hours ago, Toni3402 said:

Hi again! I connect usb-ethernet adapter, set  dhcp-ip, dns, but apps still says that no network connection. Ping and nslookup works good. And one thing - can you give hi12 kernel defconfig from hi12 patch?

Like I already said, there's no way of knowing what defconfig was used to compile stock kernel (both CONFIG_IKCONFIG and CONFIG_IKCONFIG_PROC are disabled).

What exactly are you trying to achieve now? Did you build some kernel with CONFIG_USB_RTL8152 enabled?

Guest Toni3402
3 minutes ago, KonstaT said:

Like I already said, there's no way of knowing what defconfig was used to compile stock kernel (both CONFIG_IKCONFIG and CONFIG_IKCONFIG_PROC are disabled).

What exactly are you trying to achieve now? Did you build some kernel with CONFIG_USB_RTL8152 enabled?

Thank you for reply. Yes. I build kernel with r8152.ko driver included by modifying vi10_defconfig. Put kernel in boot.img from hi12 patch. And now its work properly only in terminal. Applications and system dont see internet connection. Where i can enable CONFIG_USB_RTL8152? In vi10_defconfig too? 

And i try connecting another usb-ethernet adapter on asix AX88772 to your build, and its work only in terminal too. Applications and system dont see internet connection. And no options for ethernet in android config menu in system.

I my dream its build kernel with all usb-ethernet and usb-wifi drivers included.

PS. I'm a fool, just now understand - boot.img drom you patch for hi12 its a stock kernel from chuwi hi12 android? Its right?

Edited by Toni3402

Guest KonstaT
6 hours ago, Toni3402 said:

PS. I'm a fool, just now understand - boot.img drom you patch for hi12 its a stock kernel from chuwi hi12 android? Its right?

Yes, that is correct.

Like I said I've only tested it with Lineage OS 13.0. Small icon appears on status bar when you're using ethernet but IIRC there's no settings or anything. There could be some issue with cm-12.1 as well and one thing to try would be to change the ethernet services in kernel ramdisk as they are in cm-13.0 (this to this = this).

Edited by KonstaT

Guest Toni3402

Thank you! I try to do this! And i like CM13 too, but when i launch it on hi12 - i have image only in hdmi out (like TWRP recovery for Hi12 too)  i dont know why, but this occurs only on my tablet, other hi12 tablets works good with cm13. 

Guest Toni3402

I found at least 2 kernel versions for hi12 (both works fine). How i know if CONFIG_IKCONFIG and CONFIG_IKCONFIG_PROC are enabled? There is should be some prop file?

Guest KonstaT
17 minutes ago, Toni3402 said:

I found at least 2 kernel versions for hi12 (both works fine). How i know if CONFIG_IKCONFIG and CONFIG_IKCONFIG_PROC are enabled? There is should be some prop file?

Neither is enabled with stock kernels. CONFIG_IKCONFIG allows you to extract defconfig from a kernel image on disk using extract-ikconfig tool. CONFIG_IKCONFIG_PROC allows you to extract defconfig from a running device (/proc/config.gz).

I still can't quite understand what you're trying to achieve in the end. Even if you get the USB ethernet drivers working you're never going to get a fully working kernel for Hi12 from the current kernel source no matter what defconfig you've used (there's no Hi12 specific modifications and hardware drivers because Hi12 kernel source has never been released).

Edited by KonstaT

Guest Toni3402

Thank you for your patience. I try your ramdisk setting and it work now!) No icon on the bar, but it works. In the end i need device with working usb ethernet drivers for my device, working hardware video decoding, working audio - there is a minimum. In current kernel build dont work - audio, touchscreen, camera and sensor button. I think audio is similary intel sst like in other tablets with z8300, and touch - one of the goodix gt 9xxx.

I feel myself that im already just playing with this problem and all this dont need me so much. Its like a challenge and source of new experience and knowledges.

Guest KonstaT

Thank you for your patience. I try your ramdisk setting and it work now!) No icon on the bar, but it works. In the end i need device with working usb ethernet drivers for my device, working hardware video decoding, working audio - there is a minimum. In current kernel build dont work - audio, touchscreen, camera and sensor button. I think audio is similary intel sst like in other tablets with z8300, and touch - one of the goodix gt 9xxx.

I feel myself that im already just playing with this problem and all this dont need me so much. Its like a challenge and source of new experience and knowledges.

Good to hear that you got it working. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Chuwi Hi 10 Pro with this rom, everything works great but i have a problem with the power button, I don't know if it's related with the hardware or software, but when you press it, the behaviour is erratic, sometimes the screen powers on and off quickly, sometimes it doesn't do anything, and when I'm trying to switch the tablet off, us really frustrating, because when the power off dialogue appears, the screen turns off, I need to try again and again to get the dialogue without turning the screen off....

Guest KonstaT
58 minutes ago, gtavo said:

I have a Chuwi Hi 10 Pro with this rom, everything works great but i have a problem with the power button, I don't know if it's related with the hardware or software, but when you press it, the behaviour is erratic, sometimes the screen powers on and off quickly, sometimes it doesn't do anything, and when I'm trying to switch the tablet off, us really frustrating, because when the power off dialogue appears, the screen turns off, I need to try again and again to get the dialogue without turning the screen off....

Yeah, it's quite annoying. It's a common thing on Cherry Trail devices (still more likely a software issue). My Cube iWork8 Ultimate did exactly the same thing but it was only worse. Happens with all firmware versions including stock firmware as well.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest bdegriz

Hi

I installed this version of cm 12.1 on my Hi10 pro December last year and it seems to work fine. I need to reinstall but when I click the link for the HQ64 patch the only files available now don't match my serial number. Any clue as to which file I should use or where the origanal HQ64 patch is as that seemed to work. The serial number of my Hi10 Pro is HQ64G42161203437

Guest KonstaT
37 minutes ago, bdegriz said:

Hi

I installed this version of cm 12.1 on my Hi10 pro December last year and it seems to work fine. I need to reinstall but when I click the link for the HQ64 patch the only files available now don't match my serial number. Any clue as to which file I should use or where the origanal HQ64 patch is as that seemed to work. The serial number of my Hi10 Pro is HQ64G42161203437

Which ever matches the stock firmware version your device was shipped with? I honestly can't keep up with all the Hi10 Pro hardware revisions (there's at least five that I know of) and serial numbers just give some guideline.

If it's worked before, it will work again. I haven't removed any compatibility patches. You might just have to try and figure it out. How about the one says HQ64G42170100000-HQ64G42170300000?

Edited by KonstaT

Guest bdegriz
20 minutes ago, KonstaT said:

Which ever matches the stock firmware version your device was shipped with? I honestly can't keep up with all the Hi10 Pro hardware revisions (there's at least five that I know of) and serial numbers just give some guideline.

If it's worked before, it will work again. I haven't removed any compatibility patches. You might just have to try and figure it out. How about the one says HQ64G42170100000-HQ64G42170300000?

Thanks for the speedy reply. I can well imagine thats its a lot of work to keep up with hardware revisions and I appreciate all the work you do.

I think I got one of the early Hi10 Pro HQ64 tablets as I sent my original  back for repair under warrenty and after 2 months they said they no longer had this version but offered me a version with the z8350. I thought I had downloaded the stock versions of firmware but can not find them at the moment and when searching the Chuwi furoms now they also only list the serial numbers that you do with no mention of my serial number. I might try and post on that furom but if I remember correctly when I was a bit more active on it I never got a reply from moderators, I may try emailing them directly.

How would I check the stock firmware version against the patch? In case I find the it on my file server.

In the mean time I will give your suggestion a go and start with the first patch and move on from there, I suspect that its proberly the correct patch.