Huawei themes broken after data format in TWRP

Guest astandet

Guest astandet

Hi. When rooting Huawei Mate 8 I had to use "format data" option to remove encryption (it wouldn't take my PIN). Then I flashed magisk and when I rebooted back to system, I found out that there's only 1 basic theme available, HWthemes folder empty, downloaded themes not working (despite "theme applied" notification, not even after reboot). My goldmagazine theme is gone, and the setting "Homescreen style" shows a placeholder drawing where normally my theme picture would show. Does anybody have experience with this sort of special effect? What am I supposed to do to bring my themes back?

Guest adeii

If you have EMUI 5 your themes must be in  /internal_sd/Hwthemes ? Do you have subfolder .cache or .themecache in it which may reserved your theme?

TWRP format data, also wipe /internal_sd since its truly path is /data/media/0, I guess. On the other hand, TWRP backup exclude /internal_sd (or /sdcard as it said) by /data backup.

For factory themes, you can extract them from downloaded stock rom..or use this app.

Guest astandet

Hi. Thanks for your response. It's EMUI 4.0, Android 6.0 (I should have mentioned that); .cache, .themecache or any other dotted files are missing in /data/media/0 . In fact, the entire hwthemes folder is missing, the only one I have is on external sd card, where downloaded themes went (they don't work - should I move them to internal_sd?). The mentioned app is incompatible. Besides, I'd rather not use an app for that. I've got stock zip. How would you go about extracting themes from it?

Edit: Extracting .img files with ext4_unpacker fails with "unknown data format". I'll address it when I have time, but it's not a priority since everything else works fine.

Edited by astandet
more detail

Guest adeii
On 7/4/2019 at 8:15 AM, astandet said:

How would you go about extracting themes from it?

1 - From stock-rom.zip, extract update.app.

2 - With HuaweiUpdateExtractor, extract cust.img, userdata.img, cache.img, product.img, vendor.img ... Uncheck "verify file/header checksum" if needed.

3 - With SIMG2IMG, convert every extracted image...exp. simg2img cust.img cust2.img.

4 - Mount/unpack converted images to find /data/media/0/Hwthemes folder or similar....exp. with DiskInternals LinuxReader.

simg2img.zip

Edited by adeii