VNCViewer : SmartVNC Alpha 0.1 -> 0.2 Updated 02/03/2003

Guest Cent

First of all thanks to Damian Lewis for releasing the cross-compiled source for VNC. Having this source helped a lot.

After having used VNC myself for a long time I thought I would pick up Damians sources and continue his work. After roughly 10 hours of work here is a preview of where I am at. As this is not a simple task I would love to hear from you with regards to any input that you can provide. Please note that I am aware of many problems at this stage. This release is to show that there is progress.

smartvnc1.jpgsmartvnc2.jpgsmartvnc3.jpg

smartvnc4.jpgsmartvnc5.jpgsmartvnc6.jpg

Work carried out:

- Rewritten the interfaces to provide useable Menus and remove the clunky buttons. Additionally ported the dialogs to behave like Smartphone Screens.

- fixed the problem with the back navigation key not deleting characters

- speeded up the initial loading of the screen

- added a new menu that will be used to switch between moving the screen viewer along the actual desktop, moving and controlling the mouse, moving and controlling Input Keys (this menu is only partially working at this stage - any ideas with regards to this are welcome)

Last release 02/03/2003

- changed the way connections are managed to allow multiple connections

- removed password screen

- changed internal functionality to enforce message trapping later

- removed functionality to prevent conversion above 16K colors since the Smartphone does not support it

- enhanced mouse movements

You can download the current alpha here.

The program exits as soon as i click connect ;)

This is a "feature" of the original version. It doesnt exit. It attempts connection. If it works it displays a password dialog eventually. If it doesnt it quits. Allow for some time between the first dialog disappearing and the password dialog coming up.

Note that the current version requires you to be connected already. At the moment the best way to get it working is to put it in the cradle, allow it to share your connection and get used to it first. I am working on getting a new alpha out as soon as possible. The new one should give some better feedback and handle setting up connections a little better :)

Yeah heh, mine connected but crashes out as soon as it loads the "initial screen loading" screen. :/

Also a feature of the original :).... I know I know :

Scale the PC u connecting to down to 16,000 colors at the most and a resolution of 800x600. That prevents the crash ...

I am working on it ;) ...

I've got it working. Managed to get a remote display, and control of the PC cursor via the SPV's controls. As you say, there are some problems, but it's looking promising so far... :)

Guest lewis.curley

Any updates on how this is going i would love usable VNC client for my SPV as am away from home lots and need to access PC.

Please give us an update my main hopes are fixing the 800*600*16 limitation and anything to speed it up

Cheers

Any updates on how this is going i would love  usable VNC client for my SPV as am away from home lots and need to access PC.  

Please give us an update my main hopes are fixing the 800*600*16 limitation and anything to speed it up

Cheers

Working on it :) .. I will be releasing a new version by the end of the weekend.

Guest mik_an

Just managed to get i working.

It works real fine, but it seems to me that it only redraws the upper left part of the screen. Is this a known problem :?: .

Also it didn't refresh the screen so after scrolling a bit it was very hard to see anything.

I tried it running 1024*768*32

Looking forward to next version. :) ;)

Guest lewis.curley

Whats the best encoding to use for connection via GPRS?

hextile

corre

rre

rbs

copyrect

raw

Also what do the other options do which should i set for best performance

Guest Devil

Does anyone have a step by step process to get this running?

What value do I use in the Host box?

Does this work ok with xp?

Any help greatly appreciated

:?:

Guest Prits_uk2002

Does anyone know how to set this program up so i can use it on my phone i just came across it and it sound interesting but i dont know how to use it :)

Guest fraser

Hmm, Mono in your guide you mentioned that you can't connect to the PC you are syncing with. I have no problems with this, although my laptop does have two IP addresses, wireless + ethernet, so that may make mine act differently.

I'd double check this under your environment though...

Also, if you are running VNC under Windows, I'd recommend checking out TightVNC. It fixes some bugs/quirks & offers some more compression options, such as jpeg. Really handy when working over slow links.

Guest Prits_uk2002

so how can i connect my spv to my pc im not on a network but my internet connection is on a lan network so can i connect? am i on a network? please can anyone help?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest ivanmacx

Any further progress with SmartVNC?

I managed to connect to my desktop using GPRS and fire up windows media player to play a tune (which would have been impressive except that I was sat 2 feet from the desktop at the time so there was an easier way to do it)!

It would be brilliant if this could be made to work well. I'd help, but my programming skills aren't up to it yet.

Guest fraser

ivanmacx, if it's just remote control of media you're after, I'm working on a remote control system for Winamp. It's geared at low GPRS traffic by storing most of the images & data on the phone, but I'm a while away from any public release.

I'd also like to see further work on SmartVNC though, I'm a heavy user of VNC at home and work.

Guest ivanmacx

Actually I do use VNC or other things as well, but one of the main things is control of media ie. audio and video files. I have a desktop as a server wired into my hi-fi and TV and keep copies of CDs and DVDs that I own ( :wink: :wink: :wink: ) on there.

Would it be easy to adapt your remote control system to control other apps eg. DivX player or Windows Media Player?

Guest ivanmacx

Mesh121 that probably means that it can't find the server you are looking for. If that's the case it doesn't put up an error message, it just cuts out. If you post more information on your setup it might be possible to help.

What computer are you trying to connect to?

Are you using GPRS or the cradle?