Happy 10th birthday to the T-Mobile Pulse

Guest flibblesan

Guest flibblesan

Back in October 2009, T-Mobile released the very first pay-as-you-go Android smartphone in the UK priced at just £185. At this time this was big news since it enabled many consumers that were simply unable or unwilling to take out a contract to get their hands on a smartphone running the - at the time - new Android operating system from Google.

Here at MoDaCo we credit the T-Mobile Pulse as being a kind of catalyst that started Android modding off in a big way. Whilst previous Android devices allowed users to tinker with the operating system and make changes, the high cost of the handsets meant that it was reserved really for the hardcore nerds and geeks of the world. The Pulse - a rebranded Huawei U8220 - put the world of Android into the hands of normal people who dipped their toes into the new and exciting world of Android and modding.

Personally,  I have a lot to owe to this little device and the community here. I made a lot of new friends, I gained a lot of valuable skills which I use some of them with my day job (thanks to all the tools needing Linux back them), and it grow my interest in smartphones and technology in general. 10 years later I'm still a user of Huawei devices with a P30 Pro, although sadly the days of modding are long gone due to locked bootloaders.

So it's a good time to say happy 10th birthday to the T-Mobile Pulse / Huawei U8220!

Flibblesan! The guy all my the custom roms I based for myself. Was mainly using your clean T-MobUK or DE based rom and I've used the partitioning from the HU one, since I've already had my sd partitioned to be used for internal memory. I know I had 2.1 with flash enabled, and 2.2 (CyanogenMod) with front camera enabled after a while. Never wen't to 2.3 (actually skipped it overall as an OS). I remember how the Pulse got me out of being lost in USA (went for the first time there in 2011).
I then transitioned to an Xperia U device and left my Pulse to my mom, she used it for quite a while.

Omd's I ant been to this site in ages, I just looked at my account and I joined in 2010, and I just about remembered my login details lol,  my first Android phone was the T-Mobile G1 by HTC  but soon after I got one Pulse and to be honest I kind of hated it, not sure if it was a combination of me not knowing much about  rooted phones or the phone itself,  mine always seem to be very glitchy even from new, however them days taught me what I know now, I do remember using your ROMs and others, and having to partition SD cards  but it was so long ago I can't remember that much, but I do remember the name Flibblesan for sure, I'll have to sieve through my history here to jog my memory, I also have migrated back to Huawei since the P9, now using Mate 20 pro, I almost turned down the P9 due to my experience with the Pules but I decided to try it and hayho,...anyway thanks for your work and happy Earthday the T-Mobile Pulse. ...yes I still have mine but it won't fully boot up.

IMG_20191023_202702.jpg