SPV Invaders goes to V1.4 - 20th September 2004

Guest muff

What about a conversion Of Space Invaders DX,, it has two player

mode and a New Zealand Story, mode..  

Will be easy doing the Newzealnad mode, two play might be a problem....

Retro...

:lol:

I had a look at DX after seeing this post, and it's basically a miriad of option to play the original game

none of the single player games are much different in gameplay terms, just different graphics

as for 2 player mode, well that's gonna be kinda tight on the phone keyboard :lol:

I've just uploaded V1.0 of the straight SPVInvaders though, so we'll see what happens in the future with other games :D

Guest adrianfox

Being a bit picky but I noticed that on the arcade version there is no sound effect when your missile collides with an alien bomb

Guest adrianfox

muff

You mentioned some time ago that you may post the source code to one of your games.

Is there any chance of this happening. I wouldn't mind converting an old arcade game (as the winter months approach and I have to put the Fireblade in mothballs) but being a bit of a lazy coder I wouldn't mind a spring board.

Anyway thanks for the excellent game -when can we expect galaxians? ;-)

Guest lisann

omg! I actually inspired someone!!! That has to be a first... thanx man :wink: never mind my mum... I cant stop playing on it! I havn't actually broke the news to her yet. Going to see her 2morrow so i'll let you know what she thinks. :lol: ttfn

muff

You mentioned some time ago that you may post the source code to one of your games.

Is there any chance of this happening.  I wouldn't mind converting an old arcade game (as the winter months approach and I have to put the Fireblade in mothballs) but being a bit of a lazy coder I wouldn't mind a spring board.

Anyway thanks for the excellent game -when can we expect galaxians? ;-)

releasing source code is still a definate possibility

though wether it will be one of the full games, or a smaller scaled down one that is just for learning, I haven't decided yet (I may even get around to writing a site for this sort of stuff - but that's a big maybe)

as for galaxian, not sure if you're joking, but I did get a reasonable way into a galaxian clone one night last week (quite a way actually), but it now looks as though it may transform into something new, you'll just have to wait and see :lol:

as for the missiles hitting bombs not making a sound, hmm ok, well spotted - I'm unlikely to update for that, but I will start a list of minor quibbles though that may get sorted out in a future version

Guest akarno

muff,

I have just been playing SPVMan and have another suggestion for that and Invaders.

With some of the emulators, when you exit, it remembers where you were up to and next time you go in it carries on from where you left off. This is really useful on a phone where you may just dip in for a few minutes or may get a call in the middle of a game.

Any chance of implementing this on Invaders and SPVMan.

Guest Martin@Home
hey muff, you must get fed up with people not being happy...

jus to let you know, i think its great...  good job dude.

Thats why I havn't released my free GPRS workaround yet.

muff,

I have just been playing SPVMan and have another suggestion for that and Invaders.

With some of the emulators, when you exit, it remembers where you were up to and next time you go in it carries on from where you left off. This is really useful on a phone where you may just dip in for a few minutes or may get a call in the middle of a game.

Any chance of implementing this on Invaders and SPVMan.

hiya

it's on a list of things that may get added after both games are at a 'complete' stage

I dont think it's too difficult to do (should just be an extension of the pause code - though there could be complications with SPVMan's internal timers), it's just low on the priority list right now

muff

Guest lisann
omg! I actually inspired someone!!! That has to be a first... thanx man  :wink:  never mind my mum... I cant stop playing on it! I havn't actually broke the news to her yet. Going to see her 2morrow so i'll let you know what she thinks.   :D   ttfn

Muff you got the thumbs up from me mum big time :lol:

Even thou I was so embarassed, I really choose the wrong place to show her it, and let her have a go.

In my car, in the middle of a car park, with the windows down. I had forgotten how carried away verbally she gets! :shock:

Muff you got the thumbs up from me mum big time  :lol:  

Even thou I was so embarassed, I really choose the wrong place to show her it, and let her have a go.

In my car, in the middle of a car park, with the windows down. I had forgotten how carried away verbally she gets!  :shock:

lol

glad she enjoyed it

Guest adrianfox

Well done muff. I'll check out when I get home.

Can you comment on your approach to coding these quality games?

Do you use C or C++?

Which libraries do you use (if any?).

I would like to do Rally-X when I get the time. I know quite a lot about window/C++ etc, but have never coded up games, although I did port the 2600 emulator to the SPV.

p.s. there is a different explosion graphic for missile hitting bomb and the invaders don't appear instantly but are drawn a row at a time bottom to top. ... sorry, but I know what a perfectionist you are ;-)

[edit] - I see you spotted the different graphic.

Guest awarner [MVP]

Muff just a word of warning, someone has released your version in a .cab format, nice but it appears to be poorly written :lol: So if anyone moans that they have the .cab version and they choose install to Storage card

but it still installs to the phone. It's not the file that's for download in this link.

I have had a few questions about this now so I thought I'd post about it.

I just hope the person who made the cab asked for permission first.

Well done muff. I'll check out when I get home.

Can you comment on your approach to coding these quality games?

Do you use C or C++?

Which libraries do you use (if any?).

I would like to do Rally-X when I get the time. I know quite a lot about window/C++ etc, but have never coded up games, although I did port the 2600 emulator to the SPV.

p.s. there is a different explosion graphic for missile hitting bomb and the invaders don't appear instantly but are drawn a row at a time bottom to top.   ... sorry, but I know what a perfectionist you are ;-)

the libraries I've used in SPVInvaders + SPVMan are -

for graphics,

http://www.smartphonedn.com/articles/gapibuffer.html

and for sound,

http://www.shlzero.com/hss.asp

they are both written in C

and I've got some other as yet publically unreleased stuff that uses gapidraw the library for graphics - which is what most people use for their games (just look for the gapi dll in each games directory) - though some coders do create their own stuff (rocket elite guys for example)

part of the reason that these 2 games don't is to keep the release to a single file and to keep the filesize down (most of the filesize in these games is the sound samples)

SPVInvaders

---------------

yes indeed, the invaders should appear one at a time from the bottom - it's one of those things that I've overlooked on my todo list - may get back to it (though was hoping not to do any more versions - at least for a while :lol: )

different explosions is just me being lazy - most people dont notice it - and I couldn't be bothered to write 2 seperate routines when I did that code :D - again I'll stick it on the list, and see what else falls out over the next coupla days

Muff just a word of warning, someone has released your version in a .cab format, nice but it appears to be poorly written :D So if anyone moans that they have the .cab version and they choose install to Storage card

but it still installs to the phone. It's not the file that's for download in this link.

I have had a few questions about this now so I thought I'd post about it.

I just hope the person who made the cab asked for permission first.

alas, that is the problem with the web is that I've seen at least 4 different language cab installers now - I don't even know that they bother to retain the attached text file (though they should) - and no-one has asked permission to create them :lol:

I'd much prefer that all the websites linked to the MoDaCo post, so that at least all the bug reports would be in one place - even if not one language - and I'd know which version people were commenting on

thanks for the heads up though, maybe I'll get around to making cabs for future releases :lol:

Guest awarner [MVP]

Just mak sure they can be installed to Storage card :lol:

apparently the same site has doom and that does the same :D

The poor IPSM would be filled in no time. :roll:

Just mak sure they can be installed to Storage card :lol:

apparently the same site has doom and that does the same :D

The poor IPSM would be filled in no time. :roll:

is this the site that's only got small menus in the center of the screen - as though designed for the phone by any chance?

Guest awarner [MVP]

is this the site that's only got small menus in the center of the screen - as though designed for the phone by any chance?

I presume so, I'm waiting on conformation first, but if it is the more annoying part (when I last looked)

is that there is no credit given to the author ie you and Mboden (for doom)

At least mono asks and gives credit where it's due.

Guest dude55
Go to the 1st page of this link, tis their

ok thanks I am retarded, I must have looked 20 times, but maybe never waited for the whole post to download

Guest lisann

ok thanks I am retarded, I must have looked 20 times, but maybe never waited for the whole post to download

Lol... easy mistake to make... cool game... enjoy :lol:

• 2 weeks later...