SmartAmp v0.03 ALPHA 1 Released!

Guest frijj2k

Guest muude

It's nice with a lot of different functions and all, but why would anyone listen to mod files when there's formats like mp3, wma, etc. out there?

Guest frijj2k
why would anyone listen to mod files when there's formats like mp3, wma, etc. out there?
Well.. most people prob wont but there are some good XM/IT files out there which are a lot smaller than MP3 and sound pretty good.

But when it supports MP3/MP2/OGG/WAV in next release it will become a generic audio player like WinAmp (Which plays MOD/XM/S3M etc...).

How long do you reckon it will be until it supports video files?

Dunno... wanna implement the playlist, skins, mp3 etc first. Hard to say as I dont spend all day, everyday working on it.

Dave 8)

Guest simonastro

frijj2k

do you have any idea of the spv's audio hardware capabilities?

I've asked around a few times but noone seems to know.

I'd like to be able to record (with modified mike) small sound files at higher res

cheers

It looks great!! I am very much looking fwd to mp3/wma support - finally replace the &*^% WMP!!

PS: Will it support ASX? (I use asx to split long livesets into tracks)

PPS: Go To Time.. function would be kinda cool

Very nice work

Guest frijj2k

simonastro...

do you have any idea of the spv's audio hardware capabilities?
The Smartphone SDK help says if your Smartphone2002 has enhanced audio then it is:

Support 8 kHz, 11.025 kHz, 22.05 kHz and 44.1 kHz sample rates, with sample rate accuracy of ± 0.5%.

else it is...

Support 8 kilohertz (kHz) and 11.025 kHz sample rates.
Theres some other information in the help. Do a search for: audio hardware required elements

I think the OrangeSPV does have enhanced audio. I'm pretty sure that I have read somewhere that it supports recording upto 44.1 KHz but will not do 48 KHz. (Dont quote me on that!)

madukrainian

Will it support ASX? (I use asx to split long livesets into tracks)

Prob not... I havnt looked at ASX before but will keep it in mind.

Dave

Guest JimBob

Frijj2k: Do you have any plans for SmartAmp to support .cue files? this is the standard within the mp3 scene for splitting large mixed cds into tracks that have been encoded as one long mp3. They are also used by cd/dvd writing software so they are very versatile in their use.

Cheers

Guest frijj2k

Guh!!!

Just a quick update on how things are going...

MP3's are playing... At first they skipped a lot but I have tweaked the pre-buffer size and now they play without a glitch.

BUT....

The CPU usage is high!!! The phone has become almost unusable.

I hope to get this problem resolved soon.

Dave :x

Guest ajb3000

Well the Windows Media Player after UK update can play MP3s and I can use the phone at the same time without skipping, so its definately possible.

Guest Coolboy1982
Guh!!!

Just a quick update on how things are going...

MP3's are playing... At first they skipped a lot but I have tweaked the pre-buffer size and now they play without a glitch.

BUT....

The CPU usage is high!!! The phone has become almost unusable.

I hope to get this problem resolved soon.

Dave  :x

Are you also going to try different bitrates before a release?

Otherwise it might end up only working well for a specific bitrate and you'd

get lots of bug reports

Guest DJHope

Their is a trick windows media player CAN employ, when theirs a heavy load on the CPU it simply lowers the bit rate temporarly until it can use the cpu to 100% again!

DJ Hope

Guest frijj2k

Isnt that the output sample rate you are talkign about.

The bitrate of an MP3 cannot be changed (unless you use software to re-encode it in another bitrate). There are variable bitrate MP3's (VBR) which are encoded in different bitrate throughout the song to make the file smaller but you cannot change the bitrate on the fly.

Sample rate yeah... but I have already downed it to 22050 Hz (half CD quality) and the phone is... Almost usable.. still slow.

I might have to look for another MP3 decoding library that I can use as the FMOD implementation seems to have too much overhead.

Will keep you posted!

Dave :shock:

Guest ajb3000

PocketMVP will play MP3 files and allow you to use the phone at the same time with hardly any buffering. The phone does respond very slowly tho.

• 2 months later...
Guest Trancedancer

Hi!

How's it going with your development of SmartAmp, it looks so good and it would be the best player if it could support Mp3:s!

*TRANCEDANCER*

PS. What player are you other guys out there using for playing your Mp3:s??? DS.

PocketMVP all the way!! Especially with some more improvement on the way it's gonna be THE player to use!

Shame really that frijj stopped working on it and kinda disappeared altogether...