Registry Tweaks

Guest midnight

Guest midnight

Any damage caused by using any of these tweaks (however unlikely that may seem) is your sole responsibility, it aint my fault guv, ok

note: all of these tweaks will survive a reboot unless otherwise mentioned

LATEST TWEAK

ActiveSync Name Tweak

Wanna change the name of your phone for ActiveSync?

Go into RegEdit and change this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>Ident

Select 'Values'

Select 'Name' (sometimes theres 2, dunno why, just edit any)

and change the Value Data to the new name for your phone (no spaces)

Next time you plug in yer phone, ActiveSync should connect as normal, but the name will have changed.

START MENU TWEAK

Start Menu Order

This tweak changes the order in which you have the programs listed in the Programs menu.

Oh, before I tell you how to do this, this is the answer Orange gave (source: Orange Website):

The list of items is in alphabetical order, apart from the first four items - which are fixed. To change the order of non-fixed items, hook up your Orange SPV to your PC, explore to the IPSMWindowsStart menu and change the names to start with 1 - or a -.

Hehe, yeh, good one orange, I think you'll find its the first six items, not four, and two of those are 'Orange Backup' and 'Orange Update'. Now lets do it the correct way ...

Open up Regedit, and browse to the following:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Shell/StartMenu

Select 'Values'

Select 'Order'

In the value data you can now change the order of the links in the start menu. The easier way to find the link names is to open up All Explorer, Smartexplorer, or even browse to the phone via the computer, and look at the files in 'IPSMWindowsStart Menu'. Don't forget to add '.lnk' at the end of the program name, or it won't work.

If you want any of your own custom links, just make sure you put them in the IPSMWindowsStart Menu folder.

Now you must reboot your phone for the changes to take effect.

HOMESCREEN TWEAK

Most Recently Used

Ever wanted to change the default icons of the MRU? (the icons displaying Inbox, Contacts, Calendar, Internet Explorer etc)

Fire up RegEdit, and go to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Shell/StartMRU

Select 'Values'

Select 'InitialOrder'

and now just change/add to the links (see the Start Menu Order Tweak for info on links in the IPSMWindowsStartMenu folder.

SOUND TWEAKS

Correctly Looping Ringtones

This is a tweak I think should be standard on the phone, especially for wav files

Normally while playing a wav or midi as the ringtone the phone has a delay of 3 seconds before repeating, now this is really annoying if you've just created that great wav ringtone, spent ages making it loop properly in cooledit or whatever, and then the SPV does the silly delay, well, heres the fix...

Open the registry editor:

HKEY_CURRENT_USERControlPanelSoundsRingTone0

Select 'Values'

And modify 'Script' by removing the w3 (eg. change 'av0pw3r' to 'av0pr')

And thats all there is too it

Ringtones on SD/MMC Card

Open the registry editor:

HKEY_CURRENT_USERControlPanelSoundsRingTone0

Select 'Values'

Select 'Sound' and change the Value Data: Storage Cardpath to wavwavname (eg. Storage CardRingtonesmyringer.wav)

Just remember not to delete the ringtone off the storage card, cos otherwise the ringer will default back to a boring midi again.

System Sounds

There are many sounds that you can change on the phone, including dtmf keypad tones (the tone it makes when you press a number while dialing), the startup sound, menu popup sound etc.

Below are the instructions how to change these, and many more:

First of all, grab a voice theme from here and copy the sounds across to your phone (preferably the storage card).

The next thing to do is to turn the keypad tones on by going to Programs>Settings>Sounds.

You'll notice that after you have made this change the really annoying keypad sound has come back again, so lets turn it off...

With the Registry Editor, change the following:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Control Panel/Sounds/Keypress

Select 'Values'

And modify 'Script' by removing the p value (the value should now be blank)

Now lets change our first Dtmf tone:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Control Panel/Sounds/

then choose your Dtmf number (0-9, also # and *)... Dtmf0, Dtmf1 etc

Select 'Values'

Rename 'Sound' to 'Sound2'(or somethin, doesnt really matter, but better than deleting, just in case you wanna change it back at a later date)

Select Menu>New Value>String

Value name: Sound

Value Data: pathname of the wav(eg, i have installed the sounds onto my storage card in a dir called keypad, so, value data: Storage Cardkeypad1.wav for Dtmf1)

and just repeat for all of the keypad tones ( you can actually speed up the process by copying and pasting the values and just changing the wav number).

Other sounds that can be changed are:

'battery.wav'

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Control Panel/Sounds/LowBattery

'sms.wav'

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Control Panel/Sounds/SMS

'mail.wav'

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Control Panel/Sounds/E-Mail

'menupopup.wav'

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Control Panel/Sounds/MenuPopup

'menucommand.wav'

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Control Panel/Sounds/MenuCommand

'alert.wav'

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Control Panel/Sounds/SystemExclamation

'info.wav'

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Control Panel/Sounds/SystemAsterisk

'confirm.wav'

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Control Panel/Sounds/SystemQuestion

'error.wav'

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Control Panel/Sounds/Warning

'callerror.wav'

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Control Panel/Sounds/CallDrop

(make sure category is set to InCall)

'dialing.wav'

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Control Panel/Sounds/Dialing

(make sure category is set to InCall)

Sounds better than the nasty standard keypad tones eh!

If sound still doesnt work, make sure your system sound is set high enough in your profile... (programs>settings>profiles, menu>edit 'normal' profile, System Sound Volume, i use Loud, but set it to what you see fit)

Please note, going into the Settings>Sounds menu may reset some of these values (especially the warning sounds), keypad tones survive, but, the darned keypad tone is lost, so you'll have to change that to tone, and remove the 'p' from the keypress registry key as mentioned above to remove the annoying keypress click.

Of course, you dont need to use all of these if you dont wish, it's entirely up to you

Looping Alarm

Want the Alarm to loop indefinitely? (watch yer battery tho)

Use a registry editor, go to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER>ControlPanel>Sounds>Clock

Select 'Values'

Then select Menu>New Value>String

Value Name: Script

Value Data (for no vibrate): apr

or

Value Data (with vibrate): av0pr

If you want to add a delay between each ring add 'w(delay)' before the r(repeat), for example:

av0pw3r would have a vibrating alarm with a 3 second wait before looping the ringtone (both wav or midi)

If you want to revert back to the normal alarm ring then simply delete the 'Script' value.

System Startup Sound

This is similar to all the other sound tweaks on this page, except for one difference....

THE WAV MUST BE ON THE PHONE, NOT THE STORAGECARD (nice capitals there so you can't miss it)

I presume the reason it must be on the phone is because during bootup the SD card slot simply hasnt been initialised at the time we need to play the startup sound, maybe someone could confirm this.

Anyhoo, fire up the registry editor and change this key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Control Panel/Sounds/SystemStartup

Select 'Values'

Select 'Sound'

Change Value Data to the path and name of your wav (eg, if you save the wav to IPSMWindows then the value is simply IPSMWindowsblah.wav, where blah.wav is the name of your wav file of course)

IMAGE TWEAKS

Changing the Operator Logo (Dial and In-Call)

WARNING: watch what you are doing with this, cos i managed to totally reset my phone, incluing turning certification back on, so change this at your own risk

Theres two operator logo's ('orange' on my phone) you can change that are displayed while typing in the number, and the logo that is there while in-call.

The logo size must be 176 x 20, and the file must be a GIF file.

And the file MUST be on the phone, NOT the SD card.

And here's the Registry Setting:

The Logo that appears while dialing:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Shell/Rai/:MSCdial

Select 'Values'

Select 'BannerImage'

and change the Value data to the location of the logo (eg., IPSMdial.gif if the logo is saved in the IPSM folder and is called 'dial.gif')

The Logo that appears while In-Call:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Shell/Rai/:MSCprog

Select 'Values'

Select 'BannerImage'

and change the Value data to the location of the logo (eg., IPSMcall.gif if the logo is saved in the IPSM folder and is called 'call.gif')

you have to reboot your phone now for the changes to take place.

Skin More Screens

It is possible to change the look of the phone beyond the standard homescreen by doing a few little reg tweaks, example......

screens.jpg

note: the xbox skin is used a demonstration, and i would now like to credit jay-z2k for this skin (something microsoft forgot to do at a recent demonstration).

all modifications are made by myself, and none of these screens will be given to anyone without the permission of jay-z2k (although, to be honest, i'd prefer him to make the screens himself :wink: )

note: These images MUST be on the phone for the same reason as changing the operator logo as explained above. Also, all images must be the correct size and a .gif file.

Here is a zip containing Photoshop templates for each of these screens.

The size of the images is always 176 x 180, however, it appears to work for smaller images as they appear to be aligned bottom right on the screen.

The Error, Exclamation. Info and Question dialogs appear to be basically the same, and consist of a title and information. It is best to make sure that the lower part of the display is kept as clear as possible as text may fill the whole of this area depending on the appliction.

Lets edit the registry...

Open up PHM Regedit and change the following values...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Shell/Rai

and one of the following:

:Callalert (used for incoming calls)

:ErrorBox (used for error messages)

:ExclamationBox (warning messages)

:InformationBox (information screens)

:QuestionBox (when a question is asked)

:VolDlg (for the volume control)

select 'Values'

select 'BKBitmapFile'

and change the path to that of your image (eg. IPSMvolume.gif)

If you want to change skins at any time you may want to reset these values back to the original default screens, these are:

:Callalert windowscall.gif

:ErrorBox windowsyell.gif

:ExclamationBox windowsyell.gif

:InformationBox windowsinfo.gif

:QuestionBox windowsques.gif

:VolDlg windowsvolume.gif

and thats all there is to it, have fun.

MISC. TWEAKS

Totally Useless Tweak

Want the phone to vibrate every time you open a menu????

Use the Registry Editor and edit the following:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER>ControlPanel>Sounds>MenuPopup

Select 'Values'

Then Menu>New Value>String

Value name: Script

Value data: av1p

To revert this back to normal then simply delete the 'Script' value

By the way, the v1 in the script value is actually a longish vibrate, you can change this value if you wish, but i found 1 being the best value, 2 is too long, 0 is too short, and anything higher than 3 is just plain daft.

This tip works with every sound event on the phone, including the KeyPress event, altho i wouldnt recommend it (maybe thats just a little too silly)

For up-to date tweaks, check out my site :wink:

Guest pete1312

Seems to me that you've posted some excellent tweaks, midnight.

However, for inexperienced users (such as me), can someone please explain exactly what "open the registry" means, i.e. how to do it step by step?

Also how best to find HKEY, etc, etc.

I'm sure I could eventually find the answers if I searched long enough, but it's already well after midnight :wink:

Guest midnight

ok, yeh, maybe i should have explained that a little better.

you need the registry editor 'PHM Registry Editor', download it, run it from your pc, follow the onscreen instructions and it will install it onto your phone automatically. The actual program should then be accessable from the programs menu. once you run it the instructions should start to make sense (i hope) :wink:

Guest lilalf

Hi all.

I'm a newbie trying to make my Tanager work with me. :lol: Anyhow, I've a few questions. I've noticed that in fixing the Program menu, we only have the first 7 slots to change, the 8th slot goes to ActiveSync, the 9th for the "more...", then the rest are alphabetized as before, with any additional folders (ie, accessories and games) being last. Not too much of a problem, but that's my observation. My question is: does tweaking the Program Menu affect the speed of the phone in any way?

2. How do I get rid of the loud "ting" sound when I add a name to an SMS which plays even when the phone is on totally silent? Is this a registry tweak or just a simple setting?

Thanks guys!

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

1: The start menu order shouldn't have any effect on the phones overall speed

2: No, unfortunately not :lol:, only way to kill it is to turn the earpiece volume down as low as possible

Guest damianbyrne

Am I doing something wrong here

Have downloaded and installed PHM reg Editor, but phone is not allowing me to run it.

When trying, I am getting the message "Regedit" is not a valid Windows CE applicaition.

Phone is Updated (UK) and Decertified......

TIA

D

Guest JaToAc

it's an error in the windows installer...

it thinks smartphone is a pocket pc and installs the wrong cab on the phone...

from the phm/regedit dir copy the file regedit.stnrg_arm.cab to the phone and execute it (hope that's the right filename, can't verify at the moment)

Guest damianbyrne

Yup

Copying the cab file into the Accessories folder now lets my run regeditor..

Excellent, now time to do untold damage to my (2nd) SPV

Thanks y'all

Guest v1nn1e

I am using the xbox home theme. Want to skin the call incoming and volume etc. I have the incall.gif, but not the others. Can someone post them. I believe there are photoshop templates or something, but i do not have photoshop. I just want the gif files, if that is ok.

Thanks

Guest v1nn1e

When i change the order of the program menu, not all of them change! Why is this. Call History.lnk has worked but if i do settings.lnk for example, it won't move up the menu.

Anyone know?

Guest terminater2_uk

just re-arranged my programs menu into neat little folders but i now have the standard windows icon next to each folder. anyway of changing these?

Guest MoRFLeZ

Hmmm I managed to install RegEdit, wouldn't run .. found the cab file and now the program runs *cheer*!

I wanted to change the icons on the home .. so I tried the tweak .. but must have done something wrong ... cause it's not changing the calendar to MSN Messenger (doublechecked spelling and position)

Guest midnight

v1nn1e, i'll look into it m8

terminator2_uk, not if you have put them into folders, no, the icon will just be a folder icon (or should be at least)

MoRFLeZ, hmm, dunno much about the MRU, that aint one of my tweaks i'm afraid (gathered info from several places), i think other people have got it working, i'll look into it.

Guest MoRFLeZ

Thx midnight ... I would appreciate it!

Just to clarify .. we ARE talking about the 5 top icons on the original 'skin'! I'm very new at this *hehe* ... so just checking if I'm working on the right tweaks =).

Otherwise my SPV works perfectly.

Just tried out the tweak again, and it's still not working... maybe I have to chose a different home setting .. I'll fool around with it a bit...

Guest midnight

errr, depends, that may not be the MRU, that could be the XML icons, in which case you need to edit the homescreen xml file, it's easy enough to do, should be some kind of tutorial for that on modaco somewhere

Guest MoRFLeZ

Oh yeah probably .. oh well I'll try and find a tutorial for that!

Well then I have another question .. (*annoying bratish looK*)

For the Start Menu tweak .. I made a list of what I want to appear first! It all works .. apart from one lil folder .. in my Start Menu I have a folder called misc, I made a shortcut to it .. and also placed it in the Start Menu folder, then I tried linking to it (with the tweak) .. and it appears where I want it to .. but I can't enter it!

Error:

Cannot find Misc (or one of it's components). Check the path and the filename and that all the DLL-files are available!

(Freely translated)... you cannot tweak the folders to work like this!?