Optus Australia users: How to setup GPRS?

Guest sinnerman

Guest sinnerman

Are there any Optus Australia Qtek users out there who have GPRS working correctly?

My phone came conpletely unconfigured, and the instructions sent to me by Optus didn't work. So please, if your data connection settings work, please post the settings.

BTW, Optus has provisioned (supposedly) my account for GPRS. Also, I did read the configuration thread that's posted elsewhere on this board, but that wasn't any help either (the poster mentioned that they were unstested settings).

In advance, thanks.

Guest martin

Welcome to MoDaCo sinnerman.

BTW, Optus has provisioned (supposedly) my account for GPRS. Also, I did read the configuration thread that's posted elsewhere on this board, but that wasn't any help either (the poster mentioned that they were unstested settings).

Do you get the top centre G displayed on your phone ?

Do you have a contract SIM ?

In the GPRS settings repository page4 the Optus settings aren't tested but they should work.

It sometimes helps if you test the Internet and WAP connections seperately

Check connections (use menu-refresh to re-load page if needed)

Int.Explorer - de-tick 'auto' and make Select network=The Internet.

-Successfully access http://www.google.com/wml site and use properties to comfirm Type=WML and protocol=HTTP

-Int.Explorer- de-tick 'auto' and make Select network=WAP Network

-Successfully access wsp://www.google.com/wml site and use properties to comfirm Type=WML and protocol=WSP

-Int.Explorer - tick 'auto detect settings' to allow either protocol to be used automatically.

• 4 months later...
Guest sinnerman

Hi All,

I never got my GPRS working correctly. The settings I found on Modaco don't seem to be complete, and the settings I got from Optus didn't work.

Can someone who is using GPRS with a Qteck 7070 on the Optus network in Oz please provide their settings?

Thanks.

Guest nickcornaglia

A quote from Australian Forum jenneth.info:

If you have an Optus account, you can call them on 1300300937 and they will send the settings to your phone. 

HI,

I have a Mitac with Optus, and after a lot of fiddling around, I eventually got my settings working. I never managed to get it working with the settings on here though, after getting Optus to mail me their settings, it worked. Please note that they have 2 different documents, one for WAP, and one for GPRS (although their call centre will insist that they are the same thing!).

I still haven't gotten WAP working, however I did get pocket IE working with html pages and some WAP pages with the Optus GPRS settings. I am able to veiw what I think are WAP pages (wap.yahoo.com), however I am still unable to view the Optus Zoo page (please let me know if you have any luck). Other than the Optus Zoo page, you will probably not be interested in any other WAP pages once you can see html anyway.

I have attached the document here that allowed my phone to work. It took me 8 phone calls to Optus to eventually get the correct document!

datasupport.optus.com.PDF

Guest sinnerman

Laser,

Thanks! That did it.

Now, does anyone know of a good home page for Oz (Smartphone formatted) content? (with links to news, weather, search, etc?)

Guest futaris

The GPRS Settings for Optus are slightly incorrect/out-of-date on page 4.

The correct details are as follows:

Create proxy connection

Description: Optus WAP proxy

Connects from: The Internet

Connects to: WAP network

Proxy (name:port): 202.139.83.152

Type: WAP

Username: blank

Password: blank

Create GPRS connection. (Internet)

Description: Optus GPRS

Connects to: The Internet

Access point: internet

User name: (blank)

Password: (blank)

Primary DNS: 202.139.83.3

Secondary DNS: 192.65.91.129

IP address: (blank)

Create GPRS connection. (WAP)

Description: Optus WAP

Access point: wap.optus.net.au

User name: 61(+mobile number minus the 0)

Primary DNS: 0.0.0.0

Secondary DNS: 0.0.0.0

IP address: (blank)

Create Dial Up Connection

Country code: 61

Dialling code: 411

Phone number: 000638

Username: 61(+mobile number minus the 0)

Domain: (blank)

In data connections

Internet Connection: Optus GPRS

WAP connection: Optus WAP

MMS setup

Create GPRS conenction (WAP)

Description : Optus MMS

Connects to : MMS connection

Access point: mms

Settings - Accessories - MMS setup

First field: Optus MMS

IP: 61.88.190.10

Port: 9201

Mmsc Address: http://mmsc.optus.com.au:8002

The correct address for Optus Zoo is: wsp://networker.optus.net.au/cocoon/nav/cocoon_index.xml

I'm also a little unsure about the CSD settings, as the CSD dialup number for optus is "638", which I think translates to the above number, but I've never had the need/want to use/test CSD yet.

About the only interesting thing on Optus Zoo is movie times and the ability to watch TV for free over GPRS. I haven't tested this as it isn't available to optus resellers. check www.optuszoo.com.au for more information. I assume it's some sort of MPEG-4 that is supported on the Nokia Handsets.

Guest futaris

Laser's instructions will only allow you to access the Internet, and won't allow access to WAP (wsp://address) pages. Additionally, if you connect via the WAP profile, DATA is charged at 1/3 of the rate of the internet (GPRS) profile. Also, the MMS settings aren't provided, so you can't send MMS messages (which is the only thing supported on Optus Prepaid).

Has anyone figured out how to use the Otus TV on a smartphone. I finally got Optus Zoo Working (using the address posted above), however when I attempt to view teh TV page, it says that it is not supported by my phone. I find this hard to believe that the smartphone is unable to support MPEG4 streaming video?

I think I probably just need the correct web address to connect directly to the TV channel.

• 2 months later...
Guest ex_zero

Hi, I've got a O2 XPhone, my Internet works from both using gprs and wap. But I can't seem to get the MMS settings to work. Where it says:

MMS setup

Create GPRS conenction (WAP)

Description : Optus MMS

Connects to : MMS connection

Access point: mms

Settings - Accessories - MMS setup

First field: Optus MMS

IP: 61.88.190.10

Port: 9201

Mmsc Address: http://mmsc.optus.com.au:8002

So i've created another GPRS connection, but where it connects to, I can't put an MMS connection, it only gives me the options from the Data Connections page. Since I do have a different phone, I actually need to go into the MMS link under start menu to get to the mms setup, which is actually called settings. I've put the details of the IP address and the mmsc address, but theres no mention of the port. I'm wondering, which is the one stopping me from doing mms?

edit: I may have found a solution, but it requires me from having to switch the WAP connection from optus wap to optus mms everytime I want to send an mms. Anyone know of a work around?

If the network MMS settings are the same as their WAP settings then just select WAP network in the MMS setup.

If they are different then create a new GPRS connecion for MMS and use select 'Secure WAP connection' in both the MMS GPRS connection and MMS setup.

Posted from my SmartPhone!