Smartphone 2002 and Visual Basic Language?

Guest januskh

Guest januskh

Hi all. I've just bought my Smartphone 2002 and would like to develop, some apps.

Does anyone know if there is any way to develop applications for the SmartPhone 2002 using Visual Baisc language?

Or do I need to learn C++ to do so?

Sincerely Janus

There is a bodge that M$ have done in the beta of visual studio 2003 enterprise that they sent me to beta test. Theres a CD with extra random crap on, spotted a Smartphone dir in there, theres something you can install to your phone if your running 2003 that will let you run VB, not just .net VB. Seems duggy when I was playing with it on the emulator.

• 2 months later...
Guest spacemonkey

do that on your actual phone and we might be interested. The emulator essentially passes through a lot of calls to the API in the OS, so I'm not so surpised if Embedded VB works in the emu, the phone tho would actually need the eVB libraries which I believe it does not have.

do that on your actual phone and we might be interested.  The emulator essentially passes through a lot of calls to the API in the OS, so I'm not so surprised if Embedded VB works in the emu, the phone tho would actually need the eVB libraries which I believe it does not have.  

I have only the emulator. However, I don't see why anything would be different on an actual (ARM) device. To get it working, I used the HPC 2000 (x86) eVB runtimes. The PocketPC ones didn't seem to work right.

The cab that the Application Install Wizard generated installed without modification. Though, I had to rebuild it with cabwizSP for SP 2003. If you want to try for yourself, I have attached an ARM .cab that installs the runtimes and a simple eVB sample app. Obviously your phone needs to be unlocked ;P Have fun with eVB on your Smartphone!!!!

Project1.Arm 1100 (4K) v3.00.SP.CAB

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

I have the EVB Tools and the SmartPhone 2002SDK and while messing around one day, I created the usual "Hello World" in the PDA emulator, did not use a form just a msgbox command.

This created a project and a few runtime files, copied these to the SPV and guess what it worked :lol:

I even added things like date and time and these all work as well ;)

So you can do it, just need to watch how you design your project. It does not like using 'forms' but I am sure that one of you will work it out.

Odd things happen using the PocketPC runtimes. Forms are invisible, but controls still respond to keyboard input!?... If you use the Handheld PC 2000 runtimes, VB apps run free of these annoyances.

You can download the HPC 2000 SDK at: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&DisplayLang=en

The cab made by the eVB Application Install Wizard even works without modification. Though, you may still want to rebuild it using CabwizSP...

That's all there is to it...

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

Any chance you can post or email the project as I have downloaded the Project1[1].Arm 1100 (4K) v3.00.SP and this works fine, but when I try to make a small form like yours it does not work right.

Just so that load it up and check how you made yours.

Cheers :lol:

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

Verry nice, yours works as well. But I cant get any of mine to work properly.

Is there any cnahce one of you guys can post or email the complete VB project so I can open in VB and see how you have set the project up please.

:?

Here you go. I've attached my new app along with the code for it.

There are a few things I would say. One thing is that i cant get it to delete the text in the text box (I can add to it but not delete).

Also, when I've gone into the text box to type stuff it gets stuck in there and I cant back to any of the buttons.

Let me know, if you figure a way around this.

Abs.

P.S. Put the pic files in the root.

pics.zip

smartphone-HPC2.zip

screen.jpg

Although I said in my last reply that John Cody's hack has the same problem I was having with text boxes I found it works fine when I used his source code (u can get it from his site).

I dont know why this is but it works! :lol:

• 1 month later...
Guest henningl

I found out. Since the runtimes are meant for a touchscreen device, and not a device with a 5-directional button like the smartphone, there is no automatic jumping between form controls with the joystick.

I guess you have to trap the form_keyup event, and handle the change of focus yourself if the joystick where used.