New review of MPx200 with SD-camera!!! (in English)

Guest sebset

Guest nickcornaglia

I hate the fact that it has a non-integrated camera. I don't care how good the camera is...it'll still be on my dining room table when that special photo-op comes along when I'm 30 miles away from my dining room.

Now no one will believe what I saw the monkey doing at the zoo! :oops:

From the review: (copyright threegmobile.net)

[ HOT PHONES ]Motorola First Smartphone officially announced : clamshell MPx200  

Updated: 16 Sept 2003 (page 1)

In a press event in Chicago, London, Hong Kong and Redmond, Motorola and Microsoft jointly announced the Motorola first smartphone based on MS Smartphone 2002. The model name is not the previous rumoured V700 but new MP series, the MPx200. The new Smartphone will hit US markets with the cooperation with AT&T; Europe market with Orange. It will includes the Asia regions like Hong Kong in October 2003. Hong Kong Motorola also said that more phones based on Microsoft OS like Pocket PC Phone Edition would be announced later this year.  

LIVE Photos shown on the following pages

Another clamshell Smartphone.  

Motorola MPx200 is the 4th MS Smartphone in the market. Motorola chooses clamshell form factor instead of candy bar. If we look at the European and US market, no clamshell MS Smartphone is available. In Asia its competitor is the MiTAC Mio 8380. MPx200 uses black as it main colour with internal antenna and chrome accents. It seems that Motorola tries to attract the executives and pro-sumers.  

If we compare MPx200 with MiTAC Mio 8380, the keypad layout is very similar. Perhaps it is because both of them are designed by the Taiwan companies. Motorola MPx200 does not have built-in camera. They choose to use SD plug-in camera. It also shows that the phone supports SDIO accessories. The camera can take up to 640 x 480 quality of pictures, and 160 x 120 movie clips with sound.  

Standard Smartphone Features

Microsoft Smartphone 2002 has very concrete standard. We cannot find major differences between MPx200 and the existing Smartphones. Motorola MPx200 has all Smartphone good features, like TFT style 65k colour screen, SD/ MMC card supports, Full PIM functions with Pocket Outlook, Pocket IE , Windows Media and MSN Messenger. Like all previous models, the MPx200 is an triband phone allowing the users to travel around the countries with GSM coverage. Motorola MPx200 uses ARM9 200 MHz processor with 32MB ROM and 32 MB RAM. MPx200 comes with a standard mini USB, IrDA port for easy transfer of files. Motorola also designs some software for MMS, digital camera.  

First Impression: Fast and Bright

We have tried the MPx200 in a short time during the press event. Unlike MiTAC Mio 8380, Motorola has not implemented its own version of launchers, Home Screens and other fancy applications. However, we still find that the controlling speed is faster than the Orange SPV ( HTC Canary ). Also the colours implementation is more deeper, but darker than Orange SPV. Overall it gives us good first impression. .

whats the point in having a video capture camera if it takes up the SD slot? you will soon use up the phone memory...

I hope there are some better clamshell smartphones out next summer when my orange contract ends ;)

Guest goinnuts

The phono of the Moto showing the USB connector. Look at the left-hand side of the keypad - appears to be a big port or key there - wonder what it is?

i think its a jog dial. not sure if its 5-way though

Guest morpheus2702
The phono of the Moto

Christ, I have got to get out of the AV business. I meant photo :oops:

But just HOW smart does that V600 look? Jesus, why can't us Smartphone users get that kind of treatment. The Mx200 looks so last year next to it! :shock:

Guest goinnuts

i know v600 has blue tooth and built in cam, and apparntly comes with bt headset :!: and if you think thats nice do a search for the v500 think v50 twin lcd and built in cam. now that would be nice with bt and windows 2003

edit both quad band too.