Petition for Flat Rate GPRS - over 1000 responses already!

Guest PaulOBrien

i rarely use the internet at home for more than communication, i dont download, i certainly dont p2p anymore (i faced legal action because of my previous p2ping) and my place of work is not very far away (4 min walk) and i have T1 there.

having said that - gprs throo the pc is faster than on the phone... iget an average download speed of around 4kbps, tho 6kbps is not uncommon... this isnt really noticably different from the dialup i get.

jesus people! be careful

i ordered the flat rate gprs... what actually happened is that my gprs was CANCELLED and ive just had a call warning me that ive racked up £150's worth of gprs bills!!!

orange are trying to sort it out and hopefully i wont be stuck with the bill... all i can say is, i hope the XDA2 comes out soon, i think i wanna change networks.

Guest adamkimber

Well,

Now we've all seen the 'new' access packs I have to say that I'm not overly impressed!

£4 a month for 3meg plus some extras that I don't really want! This means that I only really get an extra meg a month from the deal! Compare this to my home net connection (1Mbps from PIPEX @ £29.99 a month) and I get up to 316,000 Megabytes a month!! I'm pretty sure that GPRS can't cost Orange that much as the infastructure is all there and I'm pretty sure any R+D costs will have been paid back by now. They can't even moan about how much their back-end bandwidth costs them as mycalculations above show!!

Adam

Guest mattscholey

As has already been pointed out, although GPRS connections probably don't cost Orange that much, they do take away bandwidth which could be making them more money if it were used for voice calls. And where do you live to get 1mbps for £30/month. I pay £25/month for half that speed (with blueyonder).

Matt

Guest adamkimber

I only get standard ADSL from PIPEX (www.pipex.net), they offerend their 1Mbps for £30, fixed for a year when BT first anounced their trial. It's now £33, iirc, still a good deal tho.

Adam

Guest mariolouis

@mattscholey

you mean your provider now uses gprs for voice not gsm? that's quite interesting. we are still in the midst of contemplating on that.

@mattscholey

you mean your provider now uses gprs for voice not gsm? that's quite interesting. we are still in the midst of contemplating on that.

What mattscholey is saying is that GPRS uses the same TRXs and same timeslots as a voice call. A voice call can use one timeslot and charge 10p per minute. A GPRS call uses timeslots in the same way and might not charge as much as 10p per minute.

It all comes down to revenue per bit - why would an operator offer a GPRS service it a significantly lower revenue per bit than voice when both services are using exactly the same limited resource?

Guest skyvalley

I agree that flat-rate gprs would be fantastic for us users.

Unfortunately there's a BUT:

The amount of investment that has gone into GPRS implementation from he networks who have had to carry out extensive infra-structure changes over the last few years (and are still ongoing to provide decent GPRS services) make this very difficult.

For instance, I work for a mobile handset manufacturer. It took us over two years to develop our GPRS stack for the handsets. Part of this process was carrying out Interoperability testing with networks and infrastructure vendors. This was a major and costly overhead for ourselves and for our customers who provided massive levels of support.

The costs of implementing GPRS have to be regained and at the same time revenue has to be raised to develop and implement technlogies such as UMTS and EDGE. The other thing worth a mention is that it takes quite a meaty cell to be able to provide good GPRS coverage and voice/CSD simultaneously in a busy area (like the office or in the town centre), this infrastructure isn't cheap either!

I guess we'd all be over the moon if our suppliers offered us unmetered GPRS now, but what would we do if in 2 years time a competitor could offer us EDGE or UMTS with several times the transfer speed. We'd shift operators wouldn't we ;-)

The long and short of it is that we're going to have to wait for GPRS to become a fully established technology with a greater take-up and a settled infrastructure before the prices plummet.

One good thing to think about though, if your network providor implements EDGE in the future, that only involves a (relatively) minor change in the air interface not within the underlying network structure so the operators should have no excuse for high prices and theoretically at least we should all get good transfer speeds.

I signed the petition anyway... if you don't ask, you don't get :twisted:

One good thing to think about though, if your network providor implements EDGE in the future, that only involves a (relatively) minor change in the air interface not within the underlying network structure so the operators should have no excuse for high prices and theoretically at least we should all get good transfer speeds.

Very interesting post - Not sure how cheap EDGE can be though, there is a degree of new hardware required, pretty sure the older generation equipment while being fine for GPRS isn't going to be EDGE compatible. Add to that the software licence for additional features in BTS hardware and the increased load on the transmission. It'll be interesting to see where EDGE sits with GSM/GPRS and UMTS.

I signed up a while back. I've been hanging around on the US forums who by most accounts are behind us on the mobile front yet they've got huge datatransfer - 1gb per month for free.

I don't mind paying but when it's £3 per additional mb over a package of a whopping 4mb that's pathetic.

Guest mattscholey
"]I think we need one last push for signatures, which I shall be arranging shortly, as we are currently sitting around 1500.

P

I agree that one last punch will be a good thing, but why arrange it shortly, when we could have it now?

Matt