MPx200 Power off bug

Guest Shuflie

Guest Shuflie

This a copy and paste of my reply to mojo's post "mpx200 - application unlocking does it affect your warranty" in the MPx200 forum, sorry about the duplication but I think it should be mentioned here too.

Even if you lock the keys (hold down the hangup button for a few seconds) you can switch off the phone. The jog dial is still active too although it won't actually change the volume (you can only see this when the phone is closed, the volume indicator comes up and the LCD lights).

Powering off the phone is an entirely different matter, with the keypad locked and the phone open or closed if you press the power button for 2 sec the phone will start to shutdown as shown by the Motorola Logo appearing on the LCD. The main screen gives no indication that the phone is turning off, in fact if you unlock the keypad you can continue using the phone right up until the screen goes black. Looks like the motorola hardware takes over the powerdown sequence and after a set period of time just kills the power to the phone, good if software has totally frozen but not such a great idea if an application is writing to the registry when the power is cut, could cause the phone to perform a Hard Reset because of a corrupt registry. I would count this as a fairly major bug in the hardware.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Shuflie

Just a quick update on the way that the MPx200 shuts down. If you hold in the power button to switch off the motorola logo appears on the external screen as it shuts down, however if you select power off in the quick list menu the logo doesn't appear. It seems almost as if motorola (or Chi Mei) have bypassed the normal shutdown procedure in hardware, the only concession seems to be a signal to the OS that the phone is shutting down, which it may or may not act on depending on how busy it is. Doesn't appear to work the other way though as selecting shutdown in the OS doesn't send a signal to the hardware until it is ready to flick the power switch. I think I'll be turning off from the quicklist menu from now on.