i600 Registry PATCH Released! lets you install all apps!

Guest The PocketTV Team

Guest RichChrisB

Well, went ahead and did it. Install worked fine. Went ahead and tried Midnight's tweaks but they still didn't install. Oh well, I'll try again with another program, maybe the block caller one and let everybody know how it goes.

UPDATE - Tried to install SmartFilter and didn't work. Maybe we can start a listing of programs that didn't work before and work now after the update. Maybe my update simply didn't install right.

Guest johncody

I created an installer for this patch so it can be installed much easier by end users.

I sent it to the author and the PocketTVTeam for final test.

So watch for it's release soon.

Guest awesterink

Question: I was hoping that this patch would also allow us to install the SpeedMenu and SpeedBoost tweaks from Midnight, but no such luck. Are these tweaks SPV specific or something?

Guest none2soon

I know I must be missing something simple but...

I can copy the patch successfully to the Accessories directory, but it won't execute. Do I need to load it with another application?

Thx.

- Lee

Guest The PocketTV Team
I have seen a few people post that this seems to work well for them, yet I am hesitant to install it. What is UP with this rather strange way of distributing this patch? Leaked perhaps?

Yeah, looks like a leak.

This patch has already been approved by Verizon Wireless and Samsung for official distribution last month, and they announced last month that it would be available on the Samsung site. But who knows how long it will take before the patch becomes officially available.

If you want to wait, you can.

Guest The PocketTV Team
I know I must be missing something simple but...

I can copy the patch successfully to the Accessories directory, but it won't execute.  Do I need to load it with another application?

If you copy the file HKCRfix.cpf in Accessories, the patch will install when you open this file.

You should open the zip file on your PC, the HKCRfix.cpf is inside the zip. Don't copy the zip file on the phone!!

Guest The PocketTV Team
Question: I was hoping that this patch would also allow us to install the SpeedMenu and SpeedBoost Tweaks from Midnight, but no such luck. Are these Tweaks SPV specific or something?

This post:

http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php...p=338421#338421

lists some of the applications that can be installed on the i600 once the patch is applied.

I think the Midnight's MoDaCo Themes installs something in a part of the registry that is normally protected on all Smartphones (except on the development smartphone, on smartphones that have been somehow fully unlocked, and on the AT&T MPx200 which is fully unlocked and has no security protection at all).

So basically Midnight's MoDaCo Themes requires a smartphone where security has been entirely disabled.

Most application-unlocked smartphones still have a certain level of security, i.e. privileged API's and protected parts of the registry cannot ce used unless the applications is signed with a privileged certificate.

So it is "normal" that Midnight's MoDaCo Themes still cannot be installed on patched i600's. This patch does not disable all the security of the phone, it justs fixes a configuration bug with the registry.

Guest midnight

It seems to be (due to the tweaks and certain homescreens not installing) that the whole of HKLM is still locked.

The tweaks work on all HTC phones (so long as they are app unlocked, eg Orange via website, imate etc.) and work on app unlocked MPx200.

There is a similar problem with the E200, in that if you dont unlock via O website, any app/games/reg tweaks that use HKLM will not work.

Guest The PocketTV Team
It seems to be (due to the http://smartphone.MoDaCo.com/viewtopic.php?t=7695>Tweaks and certain homescreens not installing) that the whole of HKLM is still locked.

The http://smartphone.MoDaCo.com/viewtopic.php?t=7695>Tweaks work on all HTC phones (so long as they are app unlocked, eg Orange via website, imate etc.) and work on app unlocked MPx200.

There is a similar problem with the E200, in that if you dont unlock via O website, any app/games/reg http://smartphone.MoDaCo.com/viewtopic.php?t=7695>Tweaks that use HKLM will not work.

There are some parts of HKLM that are normally locked. This is the way they are supposed to be with the normal security configuration of the Smartphone is "application-unlocked".

The keys marked as requiring trust by MS are:

(In any WindowsCE system with trust):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINEComm

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINEDrivers

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINEHARDWARE

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINEInit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINEServices

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEM

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINEWDMDrivers

(Added by Smartphone):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESecurity

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSecurity

The AT&T MPx200 is a different story. On this phone, the security is completely disabled, including no restriction of the privileged API's, and everything is unlocked. And when the security is hacked on other Smartphones, like the e200, you can also unlock areas that are normally locked.

The i600 registry patch does not disable the security of the i600, not does it unlocked areas of the registry that are normally locked and require trust. It justs corrects a configuration error, i.e. some areas of the registry were incorrectly locked in the i600, preventing normal, unsigned apps (like Orneta utilities) from installing.

So this patch is just doing what it is supposed to do, i.e. correct a bug in i600 configuration. If you need to fully unlock everything on the i600, then you need to start working on some other hack.

I think Tweaks installs things in some protected keys (see list above). So it requires to be signed with a privileged certificate (unless you have a way to hack the device and totally remove the security).

Guest midnight

homescreens are only using the images in HKLM,SoftwareMicrosoft so they shouldnt be affected.

admittedly, the speedboost tweak uses HKLM,System but as i said, imate, and Orange (through website unlocking) allow you access to most (not all) of HKLM,System. This is a pretty standard tweak though, and has been used on the PocketPC for quite some time (HKLM,SystemGDIGLYPHCACHE).

Guest awesterink

Wish there was some way of manually installing these tweaks (assuming I could manually edit the locked registry areas). The i600 could benefit from speedier menus, for sure...

Guest The PocketTV Team
Wish there was some way of manually installing these http://smartphone.MoDaCo.com/viewtopic.php?t=7695>Tweaks (assuming I could manually edit the locked registry areas). The i600 could benefit from speedier menus, for sure...

If a registry key is protected, the only way to modify it is to have an application that is signed with a privileged certificate. That's the point of this protection.

The other solution is to hack the device (if that's possible) and change the security settings.

If you want a smartphone with no security and protection, you should get the AT&T MPx200 (this devices comes with security completely disabled, apparently by choice of AT&T and Motorola), or another type of device that can be successfully hacked.

Guest johncody
I just checked....it's there

There is a link, but it's not a download link, it just brings you another page that tells you how to install the patch, but I don't see any link that actually downloads the file.

What URL are you seeing the download link on?

Guest nickcornaglia

You are correct.....there is no link. Not even on the next page where it says CLICK HERE.

Odd mistake. Anyway to contact them to tell them they missed the hyperlink?

Here is what was in the source code for the page:

<li>Click Here <hyperlink to downloadable file> to download and save the HKCR Reg Key Update file to the computer.....

Guest tcwatkins

Samsung says, JUST KIDDING! They've pulled the page, said it was a mistake:

"We were made aware of the erroneous release of this information. This was not to be posted for general use and therefore has been pulled. We are sorry for the confusion this may have caused and if the item has been downloaded we caution you to delete the file as it may cause damage to your phone. This information is not ready for release and should never have been posted. The information, as stated previously, was posted in error. We are sorry for any inconvenience or confusion this erroneous posting may have caused."

From http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/showthread....20&pagenumber=2

Guest The PocketTV Team
Samsung says, JUST KIDDING!  They've pulled the page, said it was a mistake:

"We were made aware of the erroneous release of this information. This was not to be posted for general use and therefore has been pulled. We are sorry for the confusion this may have caused and if the item has been downloaded we caution you to delete the file as it may cause damage to your phone. This information is not ready for release and should never have been posted. The information, as stated previously, was posted in error. We are sorry for any inconvenience or confusion this erroneous posting may have caused."  

Fromhttp://pdaphonehome.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25753&perpage=20&pagenumber=2

ROTFL!!!!

Guest nickcornaglia

NICE!

Should have read...

"Stupid Friggin Cecil, the new guy, posted this without authorization. He wont be making that mistake again...not at this company anyway.

Please bear with us while we get out Sh*t together as we still dont really know what we're doing with this Smartphone thingy."

Guest The PocketTV Team
NICE!

Should have read...

"Stupid Friggin Cecil, the new guy, posted this without authorization. He wont be making that mistake again...not at this company anyway.

Please bear with us while we get out Sh*t together as we still dont really know what we're doing with this Smartphone thingy."

The i600 Caller ID patch can still be downloaded from another Smartphone forum but Paul does not allow me to post the link on MoDaCo, sorry :)

Guest nickcornaglia

I think everyone here knows which forum that is and can go there themselves. No need to be constantly bringing up Paul's policy on linking to other forums with contempt. It is his rule and there for many reasons.

I'd suggest that you post the update here, but that would be going against Samsung's wishes and we don't want to do that. There is a reason that the links have been removed by Samsung. They are not tested fully or maybe don't work fully, possibly causing more bad than good. I'm sure they will repost when they are ready in some form.

In the meantime. Be careful when installing these patches, including the one posted by MSMOBLIES. (whoever you are). You could end up damaging your phone, and you wont be able to get any support for doing so.

It doesnt seem as if you can recover from these if they are no good as you cant yet back up the i600's ROM image. So there's no turning back and you'll be stuck with any possible damage caused until a new ROM image is released (if ever).

Now how could Modaco support something like that?

Also, is it necessary to link to Paul's email address?

Guest johncody

If you do a HARD reset to the i600 so it reverts the phone to the condition it was in when I bought it, will that undo any of these patches?

What I'm thinking is that when the phone is booting up after a hard-reset, it basically copies the ROM image into the flash main memory (retains contents between power cycles) and the phone then runs from the main flash memory. And if these "patches" just modify the flash memory (hoping that the phone will never need to be hard-reset again), then these patches can be undone via a hard-reset, but that would also wipe out all the data/apps the phone has in it.

-John Cody