i600 Registry PATCH Released! lets you install all apps!

Guest The PocketTV Team

Guest sledge

I just bought my i600 last week, have a few more days to decide if I want to keep it.

1. Unhappy that most downloaded apps will not load, either get error about adequate system permission or app not valid digital certificate. If the patch discussed here is not avail by Friday mine is going to be returned.

2. SP 2002-2003 upgrade is in pipeline (acc to Samsung), no target date.

Can someone tell me why I should take a chance on none of the above happening and keep it? I'm beginning to think that it will be best to return it while I can and wait 'till it's ready for prime time to get another one.

Comments please. Thanks

Guest awesterink
I just bought my i600 last week, have a few more days to decide if I want to keep it.

1.  Unhappy that most downloaded apps will not load, either get error about adequate system permission or app not valid digital certificate.  If the patch discussed here is not avail by Friday mine is going to be returned.

2.  SP 2002-2003 upgrade is in pipeline (acc to Samsung), no target date.

Can someone tell me why I should take a chance on none of the above happening and keep it?  I'm beginning to think that it will be best to return it while I can and wait 'till it's ready for prime time to get another one.

Comments please.  Thanks

1. There's actuallly relatively few apps for which this is an issue. Unfortunately some of those are quite crucial, like SmartphoneNotes.

2. Do you have a specific reason for wanting 2003? If not, no need to really worry about it.

Sounds like you want a flawlessly working phone, and for the price of the i600 you should certainly be entitled to that. But the fact is that there are still several bugs to be dealt with, the Caller ID bug being the most crucial probably. If you want a flawless phone, I'd say return it. If however you think that the benfits of having a PDA in your phone could outweigh the frustrations...hold on to it!

Guest The PocketTV Team

> 1. There's actuallly relatively few apps for which this is an issue. Unfortunately some of those are quite crucial, like SmartphoneNotes.

The problem with SmartphoneNotes is different, unrelated to the i600 patch discussed in this thread. SmartphoneNotes uses provileged API, so they need to be signed with a privileged certificated from Verizon, and the patch will not change that.

> the Caller ID bug being the most crucial probably.

This is an OS bug, not i600 specific, and only new version of the OS may solve it.

Guest sledge

So far every app I have downloaded (several) will not install.

What is the diff between app installs giving the errors:

1. Program can't be installed...does not have adequate system permissions.

and

2. ...does not have a valid certificate.

Will SP 2003 'prompt' allow unsigned (that means uncertified right?) apps to be installed that use the priviledged API?

It is my understanding that I should be able to install the apps I can't install now if the upgrade to 2003 is provided (such as phmregedit), since we will be prompted about whether to allow the install without the valid certificate, similar to when you install apps on pc now. Correct?

If I write a db app for the i600 will I be faced with problems just getting it installed to test it?

So far it looks like I will return the i600 since all bets are off as far as 2003 upgrade and other bug fixes. I guess I'll wait 'till they get their act together at Verizon/Samsung/Microsoft. Don't want to be stuck with it if none of the above are resolved.

Guest The PocketTV Team

> What is the diff between app installs giving the errors:

1. Program can't be installed...does not have adequate system permissions.

and

2. ...does not have a valid certificate.

On the i600, you cannot be sure, because of the registry permission issue (which will be fixed by the path).

On other Smartphone, the second message means (I think) that the CAB is not signed and the Smartphone requires that all CAB be signed.

The first message probably mean that the app is trying to change some some restricted parts of the registry which requires a trusted cerstificate.

> Will SP 2003 'prompt' allow unsigned (that means uncertified right?)

Unsigned means just not signed with a valid Smartphone certificate. I don't know what "certified" means for you. For me, "certified" means something else. It means that the applications passed the logo-certification tests, and this is totally unrelated.

> apps to be installed that use the priviledged API?

Using the privileged API requires being signed with a special certificate called a "Trusted Certificate".

> It is my understanding that I should be able to install the apps I can't install now if the upgrade to 2003 is provided (such as phmregedit), since we will be prompted about whether to allow the install without the valid certificate, similar to when you install apps on pc now. Correct?

Yes and No. Upgrading to 2003 will just install the 2003 OS version. Each Wireless Carrier / Operator will decide how to configure the security options on their Smartphone. Most likely they will use the "prompt mode", which is the same as "application-unlocked", i.e. you will be able to install most applications, signed or not, but applications that use the Privileged API will still need to be signed with a "Trusted Certificate" issued by the Carrier.

> If I write a db app for the i600 will I be faced with problems just getting it installed to test it?

You cannot debug unless you have a Smartphone that is totally unlocked (i.e. where all security are removed). That's not the case with the i600. The only Smartphone that is totally unlocked and allows debugging is the US version of the MPx200.

> So far it looks like I will return the i600 since all bets are off as far as 2003 upgrade and other bug fixes.

Most likely Verizon will offer a SP 2003 upgrade when it becomes available. And before that, they will offer the i600 patch that will correct the issue this thread is about. I.e. the patch will allow you to install all "normal" apps (signed or not). I say "normal" apps, because apps that use Privileged API will still require to be signed with a Trusted Certificate.

Guest sledge

Great Info!

I also got an assurance from the msnmobile team on their news group that the patch is on the way.

Now if someone/anyone can confirm that the 2003 upgrade will be provided I think I'll keep the phone after all.

Thanks

Guest The PocketTV Team

> Now if someone/anyone can confirm that the 2003 upgrade will be provided I think I'll keep the phone after all.

No-one can confirm that except Verizon, and they will certainely not commit to anything until they have it ready.

Guest awesterink
By the way, for those who need PocketTV Enterprise Edition, it's still on sale (60% OFF) until Jan 15th 2004.

I just installed the Classic version, and have to say that I quite like it. The on-the-fly switching from portait to landscape mode is really nice. I'd be happy to pay for the Enterprise version, but what would that give me over and above the Classic version (on Smartphone 2002)?

Guest The PocketTV Team

It would give you the right to use it commercially.

It also gives you the right to install it on application-locked smartphones.

It you have an unlocked smartphone and use it only for personal use, then Classic is good.

Guest awesterink

Thanks for your quick reply. I'll stick with the Classic version then. If you should decide to charge for future versions, it would be worth it to me.

Guest mark_k

I just installed the Classic version, and have to say that I quite like it. The on-the-fly switching from portait to landscape mode is really nice. I'd be happy to pay for the Enterprise version, but what would that give me over and above the Classic version (on Smartphone 2002)?

awesterink, how are you switching on the fly? I have been going into the menu and full screen setings. Is that what you are talking about.?

Guest mark_k

awesterink, how are you switching on the fly? I have been going into the menu and full screen setings. Is that what you are talking about.?

OK I figured it out. Using the menu you can map buttons to events.

THis SW is F-ING GREAT! PocketTV Team,you guys are great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!

Guest The PocketTV Team

> OK I figured it out. Using the menu you can map buttons to events.

Correct. By default the OK button (Action) is mapped on Fullscreen.

> THis SW is F-ING GREAT! PocketTV Team,you guys are great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

24 Jan 04. I just got an i600 and I can't seem to get any apps to install so that I can see them in the program directory. I was trying to insall a document reader, such as the Axiom EZ Reader. Any clues? the app shows up in the insall menu of active sync, but not in the programs directory. Is there a trick or patch to install?

Marc

Guest The PocketTV Team
Any updates on either the patch or the potential OS upgrade?

We have heard that the patch was officially approved by Verizon so it should be available soon. That's all we know.

24 Jan 04.  I just got an i600 and I can't seem to get any apps to install so that I can see them in the program directory.  I was trying to insall a document reader, such as the Axiom EZ Reader.  Any clues?  the app shows up in the insall menu of active sync, but not in the programs directory.  Is there a trick or patch to install?

Marc

Try the ones on the included SD card. They are trial applications that can be activated beyond the trial period with a code from handago.

• 2 weeks later...

Almost 2 months after first word.

What is the status of the Patch? I got my i600 today, and I will not be keeping it if I cannot install applications on it.