Orange SPV M600

Guest HippyChris

Guest HippyChris

Hi!

First post here, i'm a bit desperate at the moment, just upgraded from my fantastic SE P900 to an orange M600 and stupidly expected it to do everything i want out of the box.

If you could answer a few questions for me, that'd be great.

1. WIFI. I cannot connect to my home network. I have a belkin54g wireless access point connecting to an old SMC 4 port router. I've turned all security off for ease of setting up, but it does exactly the same with security on. The phone finds the network, is assigned an IP address by the router (but no DNS servers). Under settings, wireless lan, advanced, the network status is 'connected to network'. But under settings, network cards, wireless. The list of found networks, mine is still listed as connecting, and the wifi icon is still moving.

Furthermore, internet access works through opera, but not through i.e. or media player. Opera only works when clicking on links, typing an address in the bar gives a proxy error, although i'm not using a proxy server.

I have managed to connect to my work wifi network with no problems at all.

The wifi access point is running in mixed mode, with 'turbo' mode and 'protected' modes turned off.

The router see's the device and lists it as a client. It's running as a DHCP server, so i was thinking i may need to open some ports? Confused about the DNS servers though.

That's the main problem, the others are niggles.

2. Is it possible to tell the phone NOT to try to connect to other networks? for example, it continually tries to connect to networks it finds while i'm walking around (if i have wifi on), which pops up with the new network found box every time.

What i really want, is for it to look only for the 2 networks i use, home and work, unless i tell it otherwise.

And more, once it's out of range of these 2 networks, i want it to use GPRS (or edge).

3. Even if i turn wifi mode off, it wont use GPRS unless i go into the settings and tell it to always use the orange connection.

With WIFI off, the G or E symbols are shown, but it wont connect.

4. Why doesn't the clock update while the screen is off? It's caught me out a few times now, where the screen has been off, i've turned it on briefly to check the time, then locked the device again. Then i noticed that it takes 5 seconds or so for it to update the clock! ;)

Is it possible to assign the 'off' button to just lock the device and leave the screen running permanently with the backlight off?

I've seen this asked before, but there didn't seem to be a solution.

5. (last one, hang in there). Is this normal?

example: I'm texting using the phone pad, t9 is turned on, the word i want to text is "these, " (note the comma after it.

I type in 'there', press right once to get to 'these', then press the '.' button to add a comma, but notice the word has now gone back to 'there'. Gah! frustrating!!

Is this normal?

That's it. Sorry about all that! but i just find it so annoying when things should be so simple! I'm in 2 minds weather to hang in there for the SE P990 or not as i know the symbian software will do this stuff much better, but is not half as nice a looking phone.

I'm not even going to get started on the text recognition on the SPV, i've not once managed to write an M without it thinking it's an N.

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated and i'll post one free cookie to everyone who helps me out :P

Cheers!

Guest chucky.egg
just upgraded from my fantastic SE P900 to an orange M600

Ahh, yes. I used to LOVE my P900

1. WIFI. I cannot connect to my home network

Sorry fella, cant help there.

I'd suggest removing the WiFi settings for ALL WiFi networks (at very least your home one, but I found it took longer to connect with more networks "known") and setting it up again.

I have a different router, but I had mine set to allow only specified MAC addresses, and no encryption. Worked very easily.

2. Is it possible to tell the phone NOT to try to connect to other networks?

I'd suggest turning WiFi off while you're out and about. It'll eat your battery very quickly anyway, and turning it off will stop those messages.

If you want to keep it on you could always go into Settings - Sounds and Notifications and turn off the "Display message on screen" option for "Wireless network detected"

And more, once it's out of range of these 2 networks, i want it to use GPRS (or edge).

It should do that anyway if you have GPRS settings. It'll use WiFi (if available) then GPRS

3. Even if i turn wifi mode off, it wont use GPRS unless i go into the settings and tell it to always use the orange connection. With WIFI off, the G or E symbols are shown, but it wont connect.

Hmm.

What you could check is Settings - Connections (tab) - Connections - Advanced (tab) - Select Networks.

Programs that automatically connect to the internet should connect using: My ISP (or whatever you're connection is called)

4. Why doesn't the clock update while the screen is off? It's caught me out a few times now, where the screen has been off, i've turned it on briefly to check the time, then locked the device again. Then i noticed that it takes 5 seconds or so for it to update the clock! ;)

I wear a watch!

Is it possible to assign the 'off' button to just lock the device and leave the screen running permanently with the backlight off?

I've seen this asked before, but there didn't seem to be a solution.

Not that I know of, but there is an app called screenGuard (forget the makers name right now) which does this for you. The WM5 version of this app is a little late, but could be out very soon.

5. (last one, hang in there). Is this normal?

example: I'm texting using the phone pad, t9 is turned on, the word i want to text is "these, " (note the comma after it.

I type in 'there', press right once to get to 'these', then press the '.' button to add a comma, but notice the word has now gone back to 'there'. Gah! frustrating!!

Is this normal?

Normal? Dunno but my Wizard does it too.

If you choose "These" then the next time you type 84373 "these" will appear first in the list and you can then add a comma from then on.

... hang in there for the SE P990 or not as i know the symbian software will do this stuff much better...

Differently perhaps, but I'm not sure about better. Personal preference I guess, but I've been using WM for long enough now that I'm used to the way it "thinks" and now I can't find my way around a UIQ device.

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated and i'll post one free cookie to everyone who helps me out :P

Choc chip, or Internet Explorer?

Guest HippyChris
Sorry fella, cant help there.

I'd suggest removing the WiFi settings for ALL WiFi networks (at very least your home one, but I found it took longer to connect with more networks "known") and setting it up again.

I have a different router, but I had mine set to allow only specified MAC addresses, and no encryption. Worked very easily.

I have tried removing the settings (for home), it then goes as expected, finds the network, pops up asking for a network key, then just never connects, but gets assigned an IP.

I've tried just about all wifi security settings, but as it's getting an ip from the router, not the access point, i'm sure it's a router/dns/dhcp problem.

I'd suggest turning WiFi off while you're out and about. It'll eat your battery very quickly anyway, and turning it off will stop those messages.

If you want to keep it on you could always go into Settings - Sounds and Notifications and turn off the "Display message on screen" option for "Wireless network detected"

Good point, i'll just turn it off if i can get gprs to work, but in an ideal world, i'd come home, not have to touch anything, the phone would find my network and download my emails.

asking too much?

It should do that anyway if you have GPRS settings. It'll use WiFi (if available) then GPRS

Hmm.

What you could check is Settings - Connections (tab) - Connections - Advanced (tab) - Select Networks.

Programs that automatically connect to the internet should connect using: My ISP (or whatever you're connection is called)

I cant sus these settings out. Which one do i turn on and for what? wont internet then always want a gprs connection?

I wear a watch!

I dont, i have a pocket pc :P

Not that I know of, but there is an app called screenGuard (forget the makers name right now) which does this for you. The WM5 version of this app is a little late, but could be out very soon.

Bah! M$ ;) i just want to lock the screen without it turning off.

Normal? Dunno but my Wizard does it too.

If you choose "These" then the next time you type 84373 "these" will appear first in the list and you can then add a comma from then on.

Then what if i want to use there instead of these? you see my point. I thought T9 was a generic program across loads of platforms, how have MS screwed it up?

Differently perhaps, but I'm not sure about better. Personal preference I guess, but I've been using WM for long enough now that I'm used to the way it "thinks" and now I can't find my way around a UIQ device.

I guess i'm the opposite, this is my first WM device.

Cheers chuckie! have a free cookie ;) Not the ie type either.

choc%20chip%20cookie.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest HippyChris

can some kind mod please move this to the correct forum?

I'm still desperate for help connecting to my home network. Orange seem to think the problem lies with my wireless access point or router ;)

Cheers!

Guest bh27

Some wifi broadband providers will set your wifi to work only with certain ip addresses. If they have done this then this could be the reason that it is not working at home for you. You will need to phone the broadband provider or go into settings of your broadband and change this. let me know if it works..

Guest EvilDaz

Hi

I have an M600 and its great so far. I had probs with wifi at first. However, I found that the problem was the DHCP server on my router. I set up DHCP and included 10 IP's and allowed the MAC address of my phone to connect. However, I forgot to press the "start" button on the DHCP page of my router so the DHCP server was never running. Do'h!!

My set up is:

Linksys wireless access point, no WEP, restricted access to allowed MAC addresses. The IP address of the AP is 192.168.0.254/24 (that is 255.255.255.0 subnet mask, I run a class C network). Also I broadcast my SSID otherwise my M600 would not auto detect, in this case you can add the network manually, but its easier this way.

US Robotics Router on IP 192.168.0.1/24 running DHCP server set to dish out the IP's 192.168.0.10 through 192.168.0.20. you MUST have a DHCP server on your network as I have found no way of hard coding the M600 to a static IP. It has to be given an IP via DHCP.

Now if I turn on wifi on my M600 it will detect my netwrok, it gets given ip 192.168.0.10 and I'm away.

If you are going to browse directly to the internet to use internet banking or the like I seggest you use WEP, I run 802.1b and WEP ovrhead is about 1/3 of the bandwidth so I dont bother. I connect to my Desktop via RDC and browse from that, as its a fairly secure tunnel, when I want to access secure sites. However the chances of someone walking around where I live with the equipment to pick up the broadcast from my M600 at the exact time I access my bank account is pretty remote, but you can't be to carefull.

i hope this helps with your wifi query.

peas

Daz ;)

Edited by EvilDaz

Guest HippyChris

Hi and thanks for your replies.

I've had a small amount of success through the orange cs team.

The problem is still not resolved, however i now think i know the source of the problem.

As i said before, my phone is assigned an IP address by my router no problem. I know the DHCP server is correctly running as i have 4 or 5 pc's on my network, and 2 wireless pc's through my AP.

Anyway, the problem appears to be with my particular model AP, it's an older generation Belkin, and because the phone does not support 802.11G, it will not connect properly. My router is set to B + G mixed mode, my B laptop connects fine.

The solution apparently is to either buy a new AP, all the belkin ones with a serial number prefix later than N are fine supposedly.

Or. . .i can use the firmware hack to get wireless G support on the phone. However, i cant get this to work.

The registry hack does not work i dont think, and i cant see what settings it's changed, does anyone know about this mod? or any programs that will do it with some form of GUI?

Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest TheLostSwede
Hi and thanks for your replies.

I've had a small amount of success through the orange cs team.

The problem is still not resolved, however i now think i know the source of the problem.

As i said before, my phone is assigned an IP address by my router no problem. I know the DHCP server is correctly running as i have 4 or 5 pc's on my network, and 2 wireless pc's through my AP.

Anyway, the problem appears to be with my particular model AP, it's an older generation Belkin, and because the phone does not support 802.11G, it will not connect properly. My router is set to B + G mixed mode, my B laptop connects fine.

The solution apparently is to either buy a new AP, all the belkin ones with a serial number prefix later than N are fine supposedly.

Or. . .i can use the firmware hack to get wireless G support on the phone. However, i cant get this to work.

The registry hack does not work i dont think, and i cant see what settings it's changed, does anyone know about this mod? or any programs that will do it with some form of GUI?

Cheers.

Uhm... that's BS the M600 does support 802.11b/g as I've got mine working with a wide range of 802.11g only accesspoints. I'm sure you must've set something up wrong mate as the info from Orange that it only supports 802.11b networks is wrong.