Problem with Phone Dialer on Hermes

Guest julianmclean

Guest julianmclean

I did a hard reset a couple of weeks ago so that I could rebuild as I want hte phone setup, but have noticed a couple of strang things since. First, I now have a "U" rather than a "3G" in the windows bar at the top - not an issue, but strange how hard-resetting is now different to when I got the device out of the box! Secondly, and more annoying is the phone dialler has changed. It used to be white background with blue buttons, but now it is all blue. That's not so bad, but it also apepars to be "broken" as follows:

- Pressing up on the d-pad doesn't go to call history

- The keypad is not sending DTMF tones when on calls - i.e. I cannot use any phone menu systems, or access my voicemail properly.

I've tried installer the E-TEN dialler skin to see if that fixed things, but it does not correct either of these points, so it must be deeper than the visual level.

Anyone have any idea what is going on and/or how to fix it?

Julian, I got the exact same problem on my Vario II. When I got my phone I did a hard reset (don't ask why), and I have a U icon (don't know if it was 3G before the hard reset).

And I also have the d-pad not going to call history on the Today screen.

But my major problem is that it doesn't send DTMF tones through during a call. I can hear the tones when I press the keypad, but nothing happens on the other side.

Interesting to see what this is. Julian, do you have a Vario II as well? Or one of the other versions?

Guest richard_d
Did you stop the setup after the hard reset before the carrier customisation? Or have you messed with the extROM?

I agree it sounds like the rom's not properly loaded. If you haven't messed with the extRom, try another hard-reset and wait patiently, if you've played with extROM I think xda developers has Rom dumps available.

Excellent, I solved my problems. What I did was re-install all the cab files from the extended ROM (use Total Commander, go to \extended_rom). This gave me back my T-Mobile dialer and also made the DTMF working again.

No luck with the d-pad though, but the 3G icon is also back.

Guest julianmclean

I did try running one of the extROM cabs (the one that was called something phone-y) but it made no difference. I'll try running all of them - should I be installing them to the device or to the extended ROM?(I have this enabled via the MountExtROM tweak)

I installed a trial of EZdial which has itself a setting to maker the d-pad directions go to call history, etc but i'll see what happens when I've run all the cabs...

Guest julianmclean

Great! It worked! 3G is back (although I think I preferred the U as it shows that we are one better than normal 3G!) Also normal phone skin is back, with d-pad quick access, DTMF ok too.

Cheers for the help everyone...

Motje - not sure why your d-pad isn't working still - did you run every cab?

Motje - not sure why your d-pad isn't working still - did you run every cab?

As you say in your previous post, that call history option is an EZDial setting. My d-pad is working fine, but it wouldn't show the call history because I don't have EZDial installed. So everything is as it should be. :rolleyes:

Guest julianmclean

I get the d-pad access to call history even without EZdial. I've uninstalled the trial now to check and it is ok, so strange that yours doesn't!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest randomelements

I've just had an issue with the DMTF tones not working on mine - I think it was around the time I installed PhonePad.

After re-running a couple of the CABS in extended rom it's working again but ONLY as long as I keep the T-Mobile dialer theme. If I change the registry key to disable operator skin (HKLM\Security\Phone\Skin\Enable=0) it stops working again even though it was fine before.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest cjgarside

Hello,

To view the extended_rom type: \extended_rom in the total commander address bar and the contents of it will be displayed for you.

Be aware though that the T-Mobile customization appears to be in 2 procedures, the second being the extended_ROM. The first procedure is run immediately after screen alignment has been completed and then this procedure calls the extended_ROM.

The first procedure is run via the PreConfig.txt file in the Windows folder and consists of (as per my MDA Vario II, serial starting 642):

+ Windows\cusTSK.exe.

+ Windows\T-Mobile.tsk.

+ Windows\SetHSDPA.exe.

+ Windows\MMS_APCSP_20060425.CAB.

+ Windows\MP_CVSDcpl_20060523-02.cab.

+ Windows\MP_DRMfilesave_WWE_TMO_060505.CAB.

+ Windows\MP_EmailWizDB_PPC_TMOUK_060216.CAB.

+ Windows\MP_MMS3.2_TMUK_Hermes_060609.CAB.

+ Windows\PP_CommMgrCustomize.CAB.

+ Windows\PP_Fix_Customization_issue.CAB.

+ Windows\PP_Remove_UMTS_Only_(Network_Band).CAB.

+ Windows\P_TMO_WIFI_SSID_UNI.CAB.

+ Windows\Signed_DiscoButton8.sa.CAB.

+ Windows\PP_BeepMode_longtones.xml.

+Windows\PP_Connection.xml.

+ Windows\PP_EnableDTMFSupport-1.xml.

+ Windows\PP_GPRS_CSD_TYPE.xml.

+ Windows\PP_ONS-SPN.xml.

+ Windows\PP_Other_Conn.xml.

+ Windows\PP_Regional.xml.

+ Windows\PP_RingTone.xml.

+ Windows\PP_ShowPIN2Page.xml.

+ Windows\PP_ClockAlwaysOnTop.xml.

+ Windows\PP_WMODEM_Registry_key.xml.

The Extended_ROM is then run:

+ MP-Hermes-Camera-patch-060613.CAB.

+ MT_Account-MMS.CAB.

+ MT_PC_Hermes_TMO_REG_060612.CAB.

+ P_rilgsm_patch.CAB.

+ Patch_RTPlugInEx2.CAB.

+ PP_pIESetting_TMUK_050906.CAB.

+ ST_Her_BT_Fir_Param612.CAB.

So therefore some of the cabs that resolve these issues maybe in the 1st procedure rather than the extended_ROM.

Regards,

Chris