Major Uninstall Problems !!! - RESOLVED

Guest SMYKUL

Guest SMYKUL

:!: RESOLVED BY ME - See Down 5 Posts For Complete Step By Step :wink: :!:

Ahhhhhhh! :evil:

Ok... This is the story so far, i installed digital concepts "bust'em". The next day i start to install something else on my phone and the app manager thing on my pc crashes, taking the phone down with it. i reboot the phone and try to play bust'em and it is dodgy, all the pics are wrong and it renders incorrectly. I then tell my phone to uninstall it and it says it has, but it hasn't. The listing in "remove programs" has gone and its still installed, i start deleting files. I delete the relevant files in appman folder and program files, reboot my phone and reinstall bust'em. the install fails crashes on my phone this time after reporting that the app has been "successfully installed" (it went back to the homescreen and froze after pressing "ok"). i reboot my phone, it hasn't been installed at all but it is now listed in remove programs. I try to remove it via this and it says it failed. i try to reinstall the app over the other install and it fails.

After an hour of messing i tried to delete the directories from my pc, two of the files in the bust'em directory wont delete, they keep re-appearing. so i copy my card to my pc (minus the offending folders) and reformat the card using an external card reader. i copy all the files back and try to reinstall "bust'em" it fails, it is still listed in the remove files bit, i go into registry and try to delete "HKLM/security/appinstall/bustem" it says it cant do it.

I am assuming that there is some sort of system app using that registry entry which is stopping it from being edited (like when u want to copy cemail.vol and you have to close tmail.exe first to get access). But i have no idea which app it is that is causing the problem, can anyone help ?

Thanks to you all, your lifesavers. :wink:

(p.s. hard resetting is not an option im afraid, i i cant get this to work ill just have to do without)

Guest awarner [MVP]

It's always best not to manually uninstall files as problems can occur, explore the phone and look in IPSMWindowsAppMgrInstall and delete anything you find there. Then reboot your phone and try and reinstall the game again.

Guest SMYKUL

I had already tried That, But thanks. If anyone is interested i found a resolve !!!! :D

I made my own .cab file containing a file called infobit.txt. to cut a long story short i managed to fool my SPV1 into thinking it was uninstalling the game when it was actually just deleting this file, therefore clearing the entry from the remove programs bit and from the registry. YAY, if i have enough requests i will post a step by step as to how to do this.

p.s. no files from either installer were left on my device as i created backups of the files installed from my own .cab and the .tmp files generated by my own installer. So after the files had been deleted by the remove programs bit when uninstalling the game, i copied the files back and uninstalled the files again to clear the entry for my .cab. LOL. Stupid Fone ! :twisted:

Guest Disco Stu

Clever chap :D

This is a fairly common problem so I imagine you'd be very popular if you posted the full instructions :wink:

Guest SMYKUL

Ok here goes...

Firstly you are gonna need smartexplorer (free from binarys.com) and the PHM registry editor. Get the file I have attached (mycab.cab). I would like to apologise for the contents and the sloppy coding of the cab as i just learned to do this in the last 20 mins.

Ok...

copy the mycab.cab to your phone and open it with smartexplorer, tell it to install on the storage card. I am assuming that you have already deleted everything about this game that you could find and that would allow you to delete it (e.g. the folder and all reg settings except for the install ones). Now go into "Storage CardProgram Files" and copy the folder called "letsfixthis" now highlight the bit where it says "Program Files" And select paste (this is important as you want the folder copied inside the Program Files folder) smart explorer should then create a folder called "copy of letsfixthis", don't worry about this for now, we will come back to it later.

Next on the list is to get the uninstall to work, go to the "IPSMWindowsAppman" folder and find the "SMYKUL letsfixthis" folder copy this and then go upto the "appman" bit and paste, same as with the program files one, it should produce a file called "copy of SMYKUL letsfixthis".Again don't worry about this for now .Next find the entry in the appman folder for the game/app you are having problems uninstalling (if you have already deleted this folder dont worry, look at the #Extra Advice# Heading below before continuing). Go into the folder and you will see a .tmp file, make a note of its name and then delete it. Copy the .tmp file in "SMYKUL letsfixthis" to the other folder who's .tmp file you have just deleted and rename the file to the file name you made a note of.

Now go into remove programs and remove the game/app you were having trouble with, it should now say "successfully installed". Now to clean up.

Go into the "Storage CardProgram Files" folder and locate the "copy of letsfixthis" file you made earlier, click rename and get rid of the "copy of", it should read "letsfixthis" (check for a space at the start of the folders name it should read "letsfixthis" not " letsfixthis"). Ok, now go to the appman directory, you should notice that the entry for your game/app is still there, delete it. Now rename the "copy of SMYKUL letsfixthis", much like before, to "SMYKUL letsfixthis". You can then uninstall the "remove programs" entry called "SMYKUL letsfixthis" and your done, both installs are gone with no reg entries to prevent re-installs.

#Extra Advice#

This is where it gets complicated, to find out what the entry in "appman" should be called you need to go into the PHM registry editor and go to "HKLMsecurityappinstall" in this folder there will be an entry for your app/game, go into this entry and click values, click on the value called uninstall. look at the string by pressing the action button, u will see that it is pointing to an .tmp file. Make a note of the folder the .tmp file is in and the name of the .tmp file. you will have to create the folder stated in the "appman" directory. Now go back to the main bit now but skip the sentence after #Extra Advice# as you already know the .tmp file's name and it has already been deleted.

:!: -->If You Have Found This Step By Step Hard To Follow, Please PM Me Or Reply To The Topic, I Would Also Like To Hear Your Suggestions.

mycab.CAB

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dude55

Hi,

I can't seem to get this to work, in the step "IPSMWindowsAppman find the "SMYKUL letsfixthis" folder copy this" I don't find anything in that folder?

cheers

Guest SMYKUL

If you have installed the attached .cab file before using the tutorial it should be there, unless i got the file name wrong.

I have checked the .cab and it all seems to be in order, if you have had problems when installing i suggest just uninstalling my .cab file. (go into remove programs and choose "SMYKUL letsfixthis"). You should also be able to just run the .cab again -> this way if there is a problem with the registry it will add the missing folder and its contents and overwrite the previous install, but if you have just lost it the .cab should just tell you that the old version needs to be removed, u just click ok. Keep me posted if you have any more trouble. (and PM me if i dont reply within a couple of days, this is not my usual hangout on modaco)

Guest dude55

Thanks for your reply, I think I was being stupid and using the Windows browser rather than the smartexplorer on the phone. Anyways I don't need it anymore, I managed to free up the missing space somehow.

Cheers.