Warning £672.00 data bill

Guest xboxwnnabe

Guest xboxwnnabe

Over xmas , i realised all my calls where going to answer machine and my battery was going completely dead every day for a few days .I never notice the two arrows above the signal gauge at first.

i rang Orange on the 31st dec'04 ..They were rude and were acting as if i was making the problem up. They reset my phone diverts. The phone instantly went back to divert after various SIM updates they said they couldn’t see a problem and would pass it to the technical team which could take 10days.

Not happy got the supervisor to call me back. While speaking to the supervisor and getting nowhere, I received more SIM updates. Told the supervisor that I had just received more updates and to hang on while I reboot. Phone rebooted now, the phone keeps flashing up ‘cant place call’. ‘Cant place call’.... asked supervisor why my phone was trying to make calls on its own was this something to do with the SIM update?? (Don’t even think she understood what I was saying) anyway the divert symbols came back on the supervisor promised there was nothing else she could do, but promised i would hear back from technical within 10days.

So I cleared the storage on my phone (reset) because the dam 'cant place call error' which it didn’t have until orange messed with it, was p*ssing me off

After a reset all seemed ok for a day then I noted the little ‘G’ symbol appearing above the signal gauge.ok a bit better now at least all my calls were not being diverted.

a few days of this issue and it was getting annoying as quick as i could detach the GPRS it would reconnect. Playing with my phone i found the 4 key was intermittently sticking on, i cleaned the phone and reset again

seems as it was about 12 days since i called orange (what happened to within 10 days) i called orange asking what was going on with my problem and why I hadn’t had a call back, and that i think the problem was with the 4 key sticking.

Ok technical support will get back to you within 10 days.but you told me that 12 days ago my phone is constantly connecting to GPRS and I’m starting to worry that you will charge me for it, I can assure you, you will not be charged .Ok but I have a confirmed fault with the 4 key sticking...unfortunately you call is with technical support you will have to wait for them to get back in touch..

I reset my phone again and the GPRS problem has resolved itself again..

Today 17/1/200 got my bill. Apparently I used 6823 minutes at a cost of £672.00

What the f#*k back on the phone to Orange.

After a long call and a bloody head from banging it against the wall, they tell me I will still have to wait for technical support, if technical support say the problem is with the phone then I get credited if they don’t then I don’t WTF..

Now where do i stand? The phone appears to be behaving correctly after another reset... so I have no proof it was doing it all of its own accord and could potentially be landed with a bill for 113.7 wap hours.6823 mins or £672.00 my bill is normally about £28 and I have had this phone for about 8months with no problems other than the usual.

18/01 didnt get the call back from a manager ,that i demanded yesterday. i asked several times for a manager each time i was told it would make no difference.Before i ended the call i asked the guy to put my request to speak to a manager on the 'system' he said it wouldnt make any difference , I pleaded saying i didnt care just wanted it put on there for my own satisfaction.

Another day gone no further forward.

Just found this under the customer charter on orange website

'how to complain

If you want to make a complaint, firstly you should call Customer Services and speak to us to discuss any problems you may have. In most cases your query will be answered immediately. If you have a difficulty that is not resolved to your satisfaction, please ask to discuss it with one of our Customer Services Managers.'

Do you have a tape recorder? Ring them back up, speak nicely and ask them to confirm that they have your calls logged, ask them to remind you of the dates that you rang them, and when customer services said that technical support would get back to you.

Then and only then when you have your information tell them that you are recording the information.

Stay calm and then quote the customer charter to them and then insist on speaking to a line manager there and then, don't accept being told they will call back, remember ringing 150 is free, if you have to don't get off the phone and have it plugged into the charger.

Once you get confirmation on tape that you logged this error, you should be laughing...hopefully!

Regards,

Gary Hewitt-Long

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

Hi there, I cant offer any advice for you.

But My phone also went berserk over Christmas and it was doing the same thing, I either had the 2 arrows or I would disconnect gprs and within 5 seconds it would reconnect.

I thought that this was sure to some new software I had downloaded as a trial, I removed it and left my phone off for a day and everything seems fine now.

My bill came in yesterday but it was only £10 more (my usual gprs fits within my 3Mb bundle).

When I first got my SPV (nearly 2 years ago) and I spoke to Orange for the best data tariff someone there said to use the Open Access unlimited plan. When my next bill came in I was being charged at £10 per Mb and my bill was over £150. I rang Orange to find out why and they told me that I was using 'The Internet' the plan I was recommended was for 'WAP Internet'

Anyway it took a very long time and lots of calls to Orange and having to keep explaining it all over again and that Orange customer services told me to switch to an wap plan when I explained that I had an SPV but 3 months later I had a complete refund of the entire bill including voice calls and sms.

All I can say it keep on at them, I thought it was me but it must obviously have been something else if we both had the same problem.

Good luck.

Guest xboxwnnabe

As much as i appreciate your suggestion ,i think its illegal to tape somebody without informing them first ,also if i inform them first they can claim its a breach of data protection for them to knowling relay information about my account to a recording device.

this is a good reason for them not to accept complaints unless its over the phone ,then your under pressure have no clear thought and no written record. what you think starts out as a trivia issue become a problem it too late to start recording exactly what when and were unless you do it with every call you make.

I have a 128mb SDCARD can i record a call to that ? maybe its worth a try

Guest hothands2

Contact the Orange Executive suite and raise the matter there about the poor service you,v had ,you,l have to be firm as at 1st they may not want to put you through but if you insist on speaking to a Director they will put you through. call .if you haave itemised billing they,l be able to track the problem and see where the call,s were directed to ,i would not worry Orange are usually ok when you get a bit higher up,it,s the staff at the call centers that can be a pain .try the Executive suite.

Tel ,08708700862

Good luck.

Guest xboxwnnabe

Just Got my call from Technical support ..'orange technical support just a test call to see if you are recieving ' yes i told them that around the 12th .after several resets my phone seems to be ok apart from a sticky 4 key ,' oh ok thankyou bye ..' erm excuse me what about the £672.00 data bill ive got ..thats because you were logged onto wap ..i dont use wap ,ok youll have to wait for customer services to call back .they can explain better they should call you shortly...

Expalin what better? this gets worse by the minute ..my hairs starting to fall out..

well if 22 days is what orange call within 10 then mayby shortly means a few days

I posted my complaint on the bbc watchdog site they did a thing on O2 this week maybe it will get a mention next week.

Guest hothands2

:?:

Did you call the Executive suite ? you can also lodge a complaint with the regulator they were very good some time ago in getting me a refund when Singlepoint avised me incorrectly on gprs useage.--

You need to call Orange either the Executive suite or 150 and DEMAND they get your case escalated to a higher level then it gets viewed by at least the team leader or the call center manager .if it were me id lodge a complaint with the regulator let them sort it out for you and of course Orange wont fob them off like they seem to doing and they have a time limit in which they must respond ,if you need the details of where they are on how you get in touch i think they are now call OFCOM but i could be wrong as they had a name change last year .there phone number is 08454563000

Edited by hothands2

Guest xboxwnnabe

Thankyou ,i was giving them time for technical to respond ,now i am really non impressed.will wait until monday and then i am really gonna start raising hell.

will try the exec suit then and fax them ,and get onto their indepenedent adjudicator webisite is mentioned in their customer charter.

Guest hecatae
As much as i appreciate your suggestion ,i think its illegal to tape somebody without informing them first ,also if i inform them first they can claim its a breach of data protection for them to knowling relay information about my account to a recording device.

this is a good reason for them not to accept complaints unless its over the phone ,then your under pressure have no clear thought and no written record. what you think starts out as a trivia issue become a problem it too late to start recording exactly what when and were unless you do it with every call you make.

I have a 128mb SDCARD can i record a call to that ? maybe its worth a try

It's not illegal, when you dial 150, you are told this call may be recorded, think about it, that covers them recording you and you recording them. :twisted:

Guest tsutton
Thankyou ,i was giving them time for technical to respond ,now i am really non impressed.will wait until monday and then i am really gonna start raising hell.

will try the exec suit then and fax them ,and get onto their indepenedent adjudicator webisite is mentioned in their customer charter.

Any update on this? I'm interested to see the outcome for this.

Guest A.Hughes

Read this topic with interest, having somewhat of similar issue, just a few pointers!!

Legally, you are entitled to see and have a copy of all information, call logs, complaints etc that orange hold, you have to write and they cant refuse!!

You are also entitled to see a gprs log confirming the charges, again legally you are entitled to this, OFTEL will demand this information to support Orange claims of charges!!

The office of fair trades will also investigate if orange refuse to provide the information to justify their charges, especially if your have requested them to justify the bill.

My advice, write to complaints, cc a copy to the Chief Executive or MD, wait for a reply (dont forget to include all the calls youve made dates, times, names promises etc) when you have a reply and its not the answer you seek, copy everything to OFTEL, they have a web site with a form you fill in, send off and wait.

Usually, if all is in order with your version, orange back down, at this point you can claim compensation for a legal term 'Injury to feelings', by the way from experience the mention of seeking compensation for Injury to feelings in your letter to Customer service and the Chief Executive, gets a response, from what you say, just the fact that you have had all this crap, you will get a result.

Good luck and keeps us all posted!!!

Regards

Guest xboxwnnabe

Apologies for not updating sooner..

Received a call whilst at work Monday morning (21/1) "girl from orange calling..Muffle L muffles call." A what call " T S call sir" followed by words to the affect of technical say your problems are resolved just a follow up call to confirm.

This was the girl I originally spoke to when i first logged the fault .I think she remembered me from the tone in her voice.

" my technical fault was resolved after several resets as i have told orange several times. what is happing about my £672.00 bill?" she replied with word to the affect of " technical found no fault .the bill is because you were logged onto wap ,probably because your email was configured to stay connect."

" i don’t use wap or email ! " Something like " perhaps you configured it by mistake"

This is were an IT department of thirty people suddenly goes quiet. Voice raised, veins bulging i give her it with both barrels " Are you trying to say I’m stupid and that I have configured my phone to do this myself. I work in the IT industry and I can assure you I have done no such thing. (Not blowing my own trumpet but i am an MCSE/MCSA, i have a better understanding of any OS than any of their customer service ever will). I have read your customer charter it clearly states if I am not happy to ask for a manager, i have done this on 3 separate occasions now and have never received a call back, you put me through to a manager now. Hang on please sir...

Hello Lady, supervisor orange CS team how can I help.

Oh yes I spoke to you on the 31/12 you promised me a call from technical within ten days, Saturday is a funny ten days.

Apologies it’s been a busy period.

i quickly blasted her with the whole saga .

I’m sorry sir there is nothing i can do about the bill, she then starts going on about the differences between GPRS and switched packet network, twice contradicting herself. I set her straight .she also tried telling me that she advised me that i had been using WAP when i originally spoke to her. I again corrected her, we did discuss the fact that i had GPRS charges not WAP on my last couple of bills, i told her then i have never used GPRS but always get charged a small fee, and that she said she would remove it from my account.

She then starting insisting that there was nothing she could do. I persisted in the end she agreed to get a manager to call me back at an agreed timeslot.

2:00pm received a call from manager’s assistant.

Mr ... we have looked at your account and the problems you have had and decided the usage is way above normal and decided to credit you the full amount.

im speechless

" you wasn’t expecting that was you ?" she said

to be honest she was really nice and even sent me an email to confirm it.

I’m just glad its resolved, i have 2 months left on my contract and will never sign my sole to the devil again (no more contracts)

Thanks for your advice

Edited by xboxwnnabe

Guest mparker

Any ideas on fixing the sticky 4 key? My Xphone has the same problem, and now the clear key is doing it too :roll:. Makes entering text very tricky.

Cheers,

Mike

Guest Chaser81

@xboxwnnbe

So has this experience put you off MS Smartphone as a platform? Would you consider getting another, newer model, or are you leaving our shores as soon as your upgrade is due?