Rumour Mill: Orange Magician imminent?

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]

Rumours are rife at the moment that Orange are testing the HTC Magician (aka iMate Jam, aka O2 XDA II Mini, aka QTek S100, aka MDA Compact).

One of our members (apologies to that member, I can't find the original post!) posted the picture below of the test device currently doing the rounds within Orange.

Orange Jam.jpg

As expected, Orange's official stance is 'We do not comment on unannounced products', but here's what people are saying so far...

- Orange version of the Magician to launch on Orange, positive testing to date indicates this is extremely likely

- Orange testing slightly tweaked exterior, as they have frequently done in the past (M1000 was a slightly different design to the XDA II), downside of this is incompatibility with cases etc.

- Device will slot in as an Orange Signature device into the current SPV Mxxxx line, which only contains the M2000 at present, but will expand.

The device will of course contain the usual Orange goodies from Action Engine, Orange Backup and Orange Update, but beyond that, we don't know any more at the present time.

We are also hearing reports that this device is being considered by O2 and T-Mobile in the UK, so it looks like the race is on to be first to market with this great little device... :shock:

If YOU have any more information to add to this post, feel free to drop me a PM / Mail / IM :D

P

Guest dahquim

I cant wait, ive been looking at the Imate Jam for a while, but didn't really want to change network. and now they are coming to orange, i think im gonna wait.

dahquim

Guest Chaser81

This will suit my mate who is gutted that Orange dont seem to have any M2000s. I just phoned customer service for him and was told by ANOTHER person that Orange WONT be getting anymore M2000s.

EDIT: And I really dont like the look of Orange's Jam!! It looks nasty in comparison to the Imate version!!

Edited by Chaser81

Guest inspectorgadjet

ARGH!!! Typical...bloody typical!!! I've been waiting ages for this, and now that I give up and order the MDA III (got sick of waiting for the M2000 to make another appearance) this rumour comes up. I wish they could at least confirm or deny and give an expected date because I really would prefer the magician to the m2000.

Guest Charlie Mouse

Thats the best news I've heard all year :D

I've been drooling over the Jam for ages and even went so far as ringing Orange yesterday to find out how much it would cost me to cancel my contract! I'll stick around now...

Guest shadamehr

MMMM - I'm sure the bandwagon will jump on me for saying this, but what I LOVE about the iMate jam/HTC Magician as it stands presently, is that it just 'looks great'.

As ever, Orange's makeover in my humble opinion is a disaster!

I DON'T like the look of the device in the photo, if that is what it is going to look like!

Oh ORANGE - DAMN you to hell and back! Why can't you leave a great thing great, instead of having to muck around with it?

Even the O2 XDA2 Mini looks sweet as anything.

But this?

Sorry Orange - even if you do get it on your Network, it will be the O2 version for me if it ever comes, if yours looks different!

Look at all the users on here telling you how amazing the iMate Jam looks.

So what do you go and do?

Tell HTC to release it, but NOT looking the same...

Mad...

/end rant mode

Guest Chaser81

:arrowu: I'm with Shademehr. :cheesy:

Sorry, no offense guys, but I agree with Shademehr on this one, dont like the Orange one at all, and am eternally glad that I got the Imate version on Vodafone.

Edited by Chaser81

Guest shadamehr

Yup... Just shows you how a SMALL difference can have a big effect.

It is indeed only slightly different.

But the more 'squared' corners, and the squarer key design too, serve to make a lovely rounded cute piece of kit, once again look 'clunky'

I couldn't have described it better myself, than the poster above who uses that word.

Cheers Orange.

Doh. *lol*

Guest 12speed
Like the more edged design of this case actually.

I'm a big Fan of the Magician anyway so I say Thumbs up!! :D

Pigo

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I dont know if i can wait contracts up in March and i still can't see any movement at Orange .........O2 and T-Mobile are calling me and i am trying to resist :oops:

Redesigning the case is neither here nor there. If they wanted to distinguish themsleves by putting more RAM in, or a better camera, or a full bluetooth stack - ok. That would be great.

But they think redesigning the case is of any value at all? Whatever. Yawn.....

Guest GothTeddy

my contract isn't up til june - and i've just ordered one on T-Mobile, seconds before finding this thread.

looks like I'll be dropping my contract to the basics for the rest of its term.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.